Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Frozen!

Poles Apart

Can anyone convince me of the benefits of hot water and heaters, does the few days we get a year where hoses and water freezes warrant the use of additional equipment and expense? Surely wfp users should be earning enough to just take the day off or do like me and do the odd Saturday morning. [crazy]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno what the weathers like where you are, but here its a beautiful day, freezing but beautiful. I wouldnt want to miss it just because the temp is low. The heaters arent that expensive are they?

Hot water is not just for cold days, it cleans far far better than cold, just a fact.

As for a heater I assume you are talking of a heater to stop the van system freezing, well if it's cold enough to freeze the system parts then yes it is CRITICAL heat the van to prevent major damage to your system.

As for earnings, well it makes no difference, for the professional ones of us here business is business, we don't let down customers just cause it's a bit parky outside. (that reminds me, anyone seen Parky lately?)

Glorious and sunny today in Nottingham, weather between -1 an 4 degrees, my hands were nice and warm due to my hot water system! /emoticons/smile.png

So u

Hot water is not just for cold days, it cleans far far better than cold, just a fact.
As for a heater I assume you are talking of a heater to stop the van system freezing, well if it's cold enough to freeze the system parts then yes it is CRITICAL heat the van to prevent major damage to your system.

As for earnings, well it makes no difference, for the professional ones of us here business is business, we don't let down customers just cause it's a bit parky outside. (that reminds me, anyone seen Parky lately?)

Glorious and sunny today in Nottingham, weather between -1 an 4 degrees, my hands were nice and warm due to my hot water system! /emoticons/smile.png
So we're mine wore these things called gloves

Using my hot system on freezing days makes life easier when winding in hoses and just feels more comfortable in general
Hi lads when you use hot water in really cold weather i mean below freezing all day do you not have any problem with the water freezing on the glass when you have gone

Not had a day cold enough to test that out with hot water yet. I like the steam that comes off when your cleaning, looks proper manly and gets those neighbours peeking

Hi lads when you use hot water in really cold weather i mean below freezing all day do you not have any problem with the water freezing on the glass when you have gone
Doesn't matter. Its pure water that's frozen. As it thaws it drops doing the same job. I've never had a problem

Doesn't matter. Its pure water that's frozen. As it thaws it drops doing the same job. I've never had a problem
Hi steve yes i get that its just i remember that bad winter we had a few year back we had 5 weeks off work,every thing was frozen solid when we tried to do any work as soon as the water hit the window it turned to slush and looked a complete mess and then froze solid it was a complete nightmare

Hi steve yes i get that its just i remember that bad winter we had a few year back we had 5 weeks off work,every thing was frozen solid when we tried to do any work as soon as the water hit the window it turned to slush and looked a complete mess and then froze solid it was a complete nightmare
Yeh @afo, I remember that winter. I lost a couple of days. Instead of starting at 8am, I started at 10. I work on the Kent/London border and don't think we get it quite as cold as most other parts so I managed most days

Got a 2kw oil rad off gumtree. Got a 4kw inverter. Going to get 2 more 110ma batteries (to add to ghe one i have) and build a 'battery bank' to charge from the relay. Possibly also fit a solar trickle charger to the roof to give more day time juice.

Any tops from resident tech heads on this idea?

Not sure id want to leave one of them alight in the back of the van without watching it all the time.
I know what you mean, just thought if it sitting level, locked up in the van parked up on my drive over night what could possibly go wrong ( famous last words LOL) :whistle: I'm currently using an electronic heater with a frost setting the type you get from homebase ect and am running an extension lead from the garage, just thought these may be more cost effective.

Got a 2kw oil rad off gumtree. Got a 4kw inverter. Going to get 2 more 110ma batteries (to add to ghe one i have) and build a 'battery bank' to charge from the relay. Possibly also fit a solar trickle charger to the roof to give more day time juice.
Any tops from resident tech heads on this idea?
you're gonna need more batteries amigo!
and a very good inverter. Stirling are good.

What about an air source heat pump? Like a backwards fridge?

Back