Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First clean.. Frames sills etc

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I've found knocking on doors with flyers/business cards a good method for me I'm picking up some every time out sometimes just the one other times 4-5 and have been called from the flyers being delivered too. I plan to do 15 cleans monday tuesday then attacking the doors again, I'm at about 40-50 customers and been at it very part time 100 my 1st goal too then re evaluate. good luck knocking keep us posted!

Ubik is great

Don't leave it to dry or it can stain pvc and glass

Sopping wet porcupine and then dry the whole lot

Use a 2nd applicator to clean glass properly after

You can do the first bit with a bucket of ubik/ water not a sprayer and use the porcupine to apply then rinse or even a cloth to do the frames and glass but it all runs up my arm when i use a cloth

You will find that even on a dirty new job you have hardly anything to scrape off the glass

Flash all purpose gel concentrate would do the job ok if you haven't got ubik but not as easily

I did this vid a couple of weeks ago but you probably missed itI use ubik2000 mixed with water for a new clean

This one isn't really dirty but ubik works well on the worst of them

[media]

I got a bad spelling for this....why pray tell??

I did this vid a couple of weeks ago but you probably missed itI use ubik2000 mixed with water for a new clean

This one isn't really dirty but ubik works well on the worst of them

[media]

Stop boxing daveyboy and learn how to squeegee properly lol

And il learn how to spell /emoticons/wink.png

What do you mean learn to squeegee properly??

You didn't see me detail that glass after

I didn't fan the first time as was just taking the ubik off then soaping up properly after

I did a first clean today that I didn't have booked in and didn't have anything other than my regular maintenance clean stuff. The previous cleaner used to WFP the upstairs and trad the ground floor. A lot of gaskets have got to the condition where you touch them with anything damp and black ink pours out of them that stains the frames. The upstairs frames are covered in a spray of black rubber that I couldn't shift with hot soapy. I told the custy I've got some different stuff to use on the next clean that might do the trick, she seems happy enough anyway. I've got some virosol in the garage, will that do the job or shall I get something else? View attachment 4577

Last edited by a moderator:
Virosol and ubik can make rubbers bleed if they are old or ****

I found that when they do that you keep washing till all the black stops

I think it just loosens all the shite

So be prepared to be carefull on the frames when you clean the glass after to avoid getting it back on the upvc

Yeah that makes sense. When canvassing, if i get a first clean i usually get a date for a routine in the books aswell.
Think i will lay off the cream for now as i could of done it in half the time with a good cleaning solution and wipe down.

How does pricing look?
i usually take double for first clean and customers understand, i also work with windows no one has cleaned best thing is you dont have to ask what the going price is YOU decide. make the most of it and dont be cheap

Another nightmare first clean today. Thought I'd learnt my lesson on being too cheap after a horrible first clean yesterday so today I said first clean will be double. Customer said they were last cleaned in January and the old window cleaner just stopped turning up. Either the customer is telling Porkies, the last cleaner was Ray Charles or most likely he was taking the old girls money and not doing any cleaning, he used to take five minutes according to the customer, I was hoping to be done in an hour, it took me three hours. Think I need to consider going treble on the first clean.View attachment 4586

What size house was it?

In that state using chems it would be about 40 minutes tops for an average 3 bed

What i have started doing now with ubik is dilute it well so it doesn’t need to be wiped off before it can stain but is enough to loosen the **** and using pole and porcupine scrub up a couple of top windows really thoroughly including sills and frames with it from the ground for speed and then do the first one with normal tools like a normal clean to take it all off and wipe frames round with an old towel

By then the next window has had a soak and the **** slides off and repeat all round the house

Then do the same to the bottoms after

Really speeds things up using an old applicator to pre scrub with

I don't measure the ubik but i add it to a bucket of water in the same quantities you would soap to clean trad

It would work wfp too if you had an old pole and applicator

came across windows and frames on a 3 bed house like your pic danfire covered in about 2 years worth of bird:turd: on every window and frame,lady feeds the birds,I said to clean frames properly would cost more,first clean, customer said no thanks just basic clean for £5 thanks.so made sure windows were spotless and left frames looking like :turd:,seems people here in the north east will not pay for first clean rates so I have just stopped offering it and just do a good job on the glass.

came across windows and frames on a 3 bed house like your pic danfire covered in about 2 years worth of bird:turd: on every window and frame,lady feeds the birds,I said to clean frames properly would cost more,first clean, customer said no thanks just basic clean for £5 thanks.so made sure windows were spotless and left frames looking like :turd:,seems people here in the north east will not pay for first clean rates so I have just stopped offering it and just do a good job on the glass.
yeh paul do find that as well

its called greedy *****

What size house was it?In that state using chems it would be about 40 minutes tops for an average 3 bed
It was a decent size detached place, twenty windows/doors, approximately forty pieces of glass, seven ladder pitches. I've priced it to be forty minutes on the maintenance clean.

What i have started doing now with ubik is dilute it well so it doesn’t need to be wiped off before it can stain but is enough to loosen the **** and using pole and porcupine scrub up a couple of top windows really thoroughly including sills and frames with it from the ground for speed and then do the first one with normal tools like a normal clean to take it all off and wipe frames round with an old towelBy then the next window has had a soak and the **** slides off and repeat all round the house

Then do the same to the bottoms after

Really speeds things up using an old applicator to pre scrub with

I don't measure the ubik but i add it to a bucket of water in the same quantities you would soap to clean trad

It would work wfp too if you had an old pole and applicator
I use a Porcupine sleeve on first cleans as well, works well. I forgot to chuck the virosol in the car so had to make do with strong, hot soapy again. What took a long time today was brushing the dirt out between the frame and the cill, the house is in a forest area and the dirt it seemed to go on forever, it's all out now so that won't ever need doing again.

I've had to use plastic scrapers before after lichen growth has had time to soften up on sills etc using hot soapy water. I've found strong mix chems can stain white plastic very easaly with algae and lichen on it so I prefer not to use the likes of ubik/virosol anymore.

I've had to use plastic scrapers before after lichen growth has had time to soften up on sills etc using hot soapy water. I've found strong mix chems can stain white plastic very easaly with algae and lichen on it so I prefer not to use the likes of ubik/virosol anymore.
I haven't used anything other than hot soapy on the last three first cleans and seemed to get on fine. I bought the Virosol on the strength of recommends on here for getting rid of Tiger stripes on Facias. I've yet to try it for it's intended purpose.

Back