The ultimate kit?

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by Joshua D, Feb 28, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Joshua D

Joshua D Active Member

So I've been window cleaning for 7 years using my grandads method that he thinks he perfected over 20 years he retired 5 years ago and I fancy a change. I buy everything new when it needs replacing but recently I've been having problems every turn I make with the squeegee leaves a mark. Replaced my rubbers cleaned everything bought new applicator covers and still the same problem.
    What kit do you guys use?
    What applicator cover do you use?
    Soft or hard rubbers, ettore of unger?
    What solutions do use and how much? Eg I use 50ml of morning fresh to 5 litres of water
    Scrim or micro fibre? I love scrim by the way :)
    Anything else I haven't mentioned?
    Thanks all your help is welcome

Advertisement
  2. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

The marks you are leaving, could be down to the soap, fairy liquid by any chance? If you're not using Ecover, then give it a go. If the marks are little lines, then there's a nick in the rubber.

3. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

I had that problem with fairy, ecover is very good and would recommend as Tuffers has said.

4. Joshua D

Joshua D Active Member

Sounds like it could be the liquid I use morning fresh as I find fairy is to bubbley where can I get ecover from locally? I had a look in the hardware shops today and the supermarkets couldn't find anything
    Thanks Josh

5. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Sainsburys, in the cleaning aisle.

6. laddergarder

Sometimes when I replace my rubber on my squeegee (unger 30 degree with unger soft rubber) I get a line. When inspecting the end, there can be a little bit of rubber left, from when the cut was made. I either bite it off, or re-cut with a glass scraper. I use a good squirt of fairy, and scrims for windows, and microfiber sill cloths for frames.

7. Joshua D

Joshua D Active Member

Sounds reasonably similar to my set up :) going to try some different rubbers thou see which is best to preference. spent the day messing about today used some different stuff to see what makes it better for me, noticed some people use flash I found that helped glide the squeegee better across the windows :)

8. Posh

Posh Hero

I use ecover with a splash of flash all purpose cleaner. I also started with morning fresh & found that a good liquid.

9. cheapncheerful

hmm squeegees....they have a life of their own...i would swear someone breaks into my car and breaks them in the night....sometimes they last forever...sometimes just days.....you should see my boot ....full of bits and pieces....one day i swear i will sort it all out.....as for the lines....please don't forget the storm of the century which leaves marks any chance it gets.....i have told my customers sorry if there are any marks due to the storm gunge and they all understand....well you just cant see some of them....just wait till you do an in and out....in the full sun....or the barsteward sun as i call it at this time and autumn....and do remember...ask anyone....oh yes i used to be a window cleaner.....the greatest line of all.....me still slugging it out after thirty odd years...though i did have a rest for a while.....until the money ran out...

10. cheapncheerful

yeh me do the bite it off method too....

Advertisement