Thinking Of Joining In.

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by Mart1001, Feb 3, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Mart1001

Mart1001 Well-Known Member

Hi all...
    New to the forum after signing up a couple of days ago.

After spending the passed 15 years or so as a ermm....house husband, I now need to get back into work as the kids are all grown up and I need to start paying my NI again. As the missus has a decent full time job she enjoys and the fact that I enjoy my free time, I was looking to try to find a part time job. I looked into mail order delivering but at 50p per parcel, I soon dropped that idea. I needed something that pays quite well but is also flexible and then it suddenly hit me.

I gained my first experience in window cleaning back in 1981 when I was about 14. I used to help a mate with his dad's round....basically, when I should have been in school. When I was 18 and without a job, I started a round with a mate...bought some ladders and a bucket, a couple of scrims and a cloth and off we went. We soon built up a decent round. A couple of months in, my mate gave up as he moved out of the area so, I continued on my own. I used to earn anything up to 20 quid a day which back in 85-86, wasn't bad at all, on average, £1.50 per house. I still have found memories of dragging my ladders over garages to get to the back of the house etc and how I loved working on my own, being one of those people that enjoys his own company aswell as being my own boss and if I didn't feel up to going out, I could give myself the day off although, I always caught up. I remember I used to often turn work away as I was a lazy bugger back then. Eventually though after about 18 months, I gave it all up as I found a fulltime job...god knows why as I hated working as a tyre sorter in a remould factory.

A few years later aged about 22 and unemployed again, I started a new round with another mate and surprisingly, got many of my old customers back. That lasted for about 6 months before I once again, found fulltime empoyment as a forklift truck driver.

And now here I am, 46 and considering doing it all again. Have to admit, my way of doing things were pretty old skool, damp scrim(well a Vileda cloth actually) and a duster to buff. I've never used a squeegee in my life although, after watching many youtube's, I feel I could catch on. So then I thought to myself 'I wonder if there's any forums for window cleaing?' and of course, I found this wonderful site. I've spent the passed few days browsing this particular section and reading many of it's threads.

So, that's my story so far. After clicking on a link from in this forum for the cleaning warehouse and realising it's just up the road from me(wolverhampton), I was gonna pop along tomorrow and take a look but, that's now on hold as I've broken a front spring on my Mondeo and so, I'm gonna be repairing that for the next fews days.

I have to admit, reading this forum has really given me a lot of enthusiasm, you lads seem to really enjoy your work and I'm really looking forward to getting out there myself and taking the same pride as you do in my new or 're-invented' career.
    I have plenty more to add and many things I would like to ask but for now, I think I'd better shut up abit....I do tend to go on abit :)

Thanks for reading...

Mart.

Advertisement
  2. Dodger

Dodger Hero

Welcome to the forum mate, I think you just answered a question that someone put to the forum recently. What is traditional :D

3. All Round Cleaning

All Round Cleaning Grand Master

We are all DOOMED so they say .

4. CNS-southwest

CNS-southwest Grand Master

Hello and welcome.

I am a mondeo man also.....let me hazard a Guess. With a broken front spring.... Must have a mk3...likely a diesel (could be completely wrong lol)

My best advise with squeege is....practice at home :)

Good luck

Dave

5. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

A very warm welcome. Congratulations on finding the love for window cleaning again. Their are many experienced members on here that will be very helpful in helping you get back to it. Feel free to post in the relevant areas with your questions.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

6. Dodger

Dodger Hero

I'll be fine I have romanian blood.

Well I might, I had a transfusion once.

7. Mart1001

Thanks Dodger. Yes, I have read that thread and to be honest, when I first started to think of starting up again, and after doing a little reseach, I was convinced that traditional did infact mean 'with cloths'. The squeegee was only really used for shop fronts when I first started up and I just haven't had any reason to keep up with how window cleaning has changed over the past 25 years.

I am amazed that using a water fed pole is now the way forward...or so it appears to be. I had no idea of this method until recently. I originally had intended to go full cloth again and tell my customers that I'm a traditional window cleaner but after looking into the trade and watching numerous vids, I realised I would be laughed at....aswell as the fact I'd be cutting my nose off to spite my face using such old fashioned and painfully slow techniques lol.

Mart

8. mark m

mark m Hero

Welcome to the forum Mart

9. Mart1001

Hi Dave.

Indeed, a Mk3(04) but 2.0L petrol. I did actually see a pic of your car in the photo section and I was gonna post to say 'nice car' but, thought I'd wait until introducing myself.

Yours is a diesel then I take it ? If not, then I hope you've had it 'deflapped' as the Duratec engine has a tendancy to eat itself.

Yes, I intend to practise loads on my own windows although, I'll have to watch my own window cleaner isn't about at the time as, he may give me funny looks :p
    Thanks for the welcome...

Mart.

10. CNS-southwest

CNS-southwest Grand Master

Mart

Yes a diesel, thanks. Did hear about the de flap issue lol and all the others :S

Have you got an estate or saloon?
    Think I sort of wish I had the estate so I had more room, not that this lacks on space.....just could be a little longer for ladders etc.

Lol your windy is Gona find it a bit odd when he turns up and he glass is sparkling.

When do you plan on starting?

While you are practicing, might be worth getting everything organises.... Get a website, some flyers printed, maybe even a sign wiritten t shirt :) speak to dodger on here mate.....he is great for flyers, business cards, website
    And he does not charge through the roof lol

Advertisement