Thinking of starting my own business

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by ScrubbaDubDub, Mar 31, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. ScrubbaDubDub

ScrubbaDubDub Newcomer

Hello guys so first of let me tell you a bit about myself I am from Northern Ireland and have been a window cleaner now for 2 years working for someone with 6 others ( Traditional Cleaning )

Now here goes it I like window cleaning but working for someone else doesn't appeal to me so it got me thinking about starting up my own business I am not leaning towards window cleaning but more power washing or both

Plan was over summer save all my cash into union getting a loan and going for it I just need to know what the best route would be to take, Do you think this is a good idea ?

Here are the Ideas I have come up with to start some don't include cleaning

Power Washing
    Window Cleaner (Thing with this is I live in a pretty small place and there's a fair amount)
    Guttering / Cleaning Fascias

All three of above into one business ?

Laying Astro Turf

Painting Fences / Painting / Non slip Decking

Paving

Gardining / Garden Cleanup

Powerwashing

Let me know what you guys think on this or if you have done it before how it went your plan etc

Thanks for reading and sorry if in the wrong section

Advertisement
  2. TolishAPurd

I think in this trade and most other, it pays to be versatile. Group all the cleaning jobs into one business. And put all the others into another. Thats what I do anyway. I'm a handyman, and a window cleaner. It works well as each job fills the gaps of the other, and it also helps when the weather or time of year is not on your side. The only problem is that I have to own about a thousand tools, and the collection is always growing!

3. ScrubbaDubDub

ScrubbaDubDub Newcomer

Thanks for the feedback mate, I was thinking the same I don't have any qualifications when I left school I worked on a few building sites for about 2-3 years
    Right now I haven't a bean this is a working progress I want to make sure it is done right. Im on 65 a day no pay if it rains so I will be saving
    until around December then the union gives double loan outstanding interest,

How much cash do you think it would take to get power washing/ window cleaning equipment, I plan to at least have 3k then loan so 6k

4. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Smurf is your man for power washing. Trad window cleaning is pretty cheap to start up. Ladders, roof rack, bucket, mop, blade, cloths etc.

5. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Depends what you want to focus on first as like TolishAPurd said offering a wide range of services from scratch the setup cost alone on tools will be astronomical.

So being logical about it what do you want to do first to start generating an extra income right now?

6. ScrubbaDubDub

ScrubbaDubDub Newcomer

Hello mate this is the service I have in mind,

Guttering - Cleaning Fascias - Power washing - Cleaning windows afterwards

Also I can flip this into

Power washing decking and painting with non slip and Painting fences

7. TolishAPurd

Setting up trad, without doing it on a shoestring, I would guess around £500 including ladder, roof rack, etc.

You can pick up a reasonable quality pressure washer for around £500 which will get you started.

Adding 'painting fences' to your list is a bit random. You'd be better off just focusing on one thing IMHO and just doing it right. You will get offered other jobs, and if its something like painting then you can work the cost of your brushes etc into the quote, so thats not a problem. Like smurf says, the cost of multiple tools is ridiculous. For every service I offer, I have to own so many tools, because I never know what I'm going to come up against. Quality hand tools are expensive, but quality power tools cost a fortune, so its not something to take lightly.

I would also suggest staying out of debt as much as possible. Its not necassary, and can be avoided. When I started I would accept a job, quote accordingly, and use the bulk of the money from the job to pay for the tools. I would write the money off in the know how that the next job I use that tool on, it will have paid for itself already. To do this though, you need cashflow, add to this that the interest will be kind of depreciating the value of your tools, its best not to tie yourself up in debt if youcan avoid it.

Over the years I've accumulated many tools for carpentry, bricklaying, plastering, gardening, plumbing, painting, wallpapering....the list goes on. But it takes time to build up, and it takes money to buy or pay off. Buy quality and you will never regret it.

Just a few thoughts, based on how I did it. Everyones experience and situations are different, but I hope it helps in some way.

8. Smurf

Smurf Banned

I agree about staying out of debt as is so easy to get into trouble especially when self employed:thumbsup:

9. norm

norm Grand Master

10. cheapncheerful

hi and good luck with your future...ScrubbaDubDub ...i.do the same as TolishAPurd and pick up tools as i need them for jobs and take a slight loss on profit but pick it back up when you next use the tool.of course most of the tools i use on my own house ..

i will do any job as long as its outside...i dont really want to do the same job day after day but i find windows is so different as you have different challenges on each day and you're always chasing your tail and on the move.
    .so windows will be my first love but of course if i feel i am needed i will just drop the fact that i have just been gardening into general chit chat with the custody and that way pick enough to keep me going. i like the way you can schedule other work for days when the windows may be in doubt ....like windy or wet..:)

Advertisement