Time Off

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Steve_C, Oct 28, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Steve_C

Steve_C Newcomer

How many days off do you give yourself during the year?
    I'm now finding it difficult to catch up when I have time off as my work load is much greater.It takes me about two weeks to catch up on a week and about 3 after having a summer holiday (longer days). Time off with my famaliy is very important to us as I'm sure it is to you. The reason I ask is a window cleaner I know told me he just skips who ever is due to be done on that particular day/ week. I find that ridiculous as its lost revenue and not offering as reliable service.
    However I have had a week off a few weeks ago and now looking at some unplanned days off as a famaliy member is seriously ill,some how it does make some sense. What and how do you go about catching up. Regards Steve.

Advertisement
  2. Martyn

Martyn Active Member

Difficult one if you're busy, I try to take any weeks off at the end/beginning of a month so that I can hopefully get everything done before the break and then cram work in after the break. Most of my work is monthly or 2 monthly, the few six weekers that I have left just have to be flexible.

There is a limit to what you can do, and we all need a break from time to time.

3. laddergarder

I wouldn't skip them, just run a week late. If you can notify the customers, either by putting a bit on your website, or a small note on your "we called today" slips if you use them, can help. We take two weeks over christmas and new year, and two weeks in the summer, but because there is three of us, when one is off, during the summer its not that big a deal, and we are not that late because of it.

Last week there I really hurt my back on tuesday morning, and as a result was off for three days, I did get out on friday, but was off saturday, driving down to blackpool. Anyway, even though I only worked two days due to my back injury, we are only about half a day late. Because the other two lads were out and also partly because one of the lads worked a little overtime to help as well.

4. Posh

Posh Hero

The way I look at it is this. In the summer 90% of my custies go on holiday. They don't worry about us in the fact that we may have to wait 2 weeks for paying coz there on holiday. It works the other way round to. They can wait a week while you have a break. If they moan just tell them this. You have a holiday I clean your windows I have to wait for payment.

5. GMcleaning

GMcleaning Guru

its up to you, its either a case of push the whole round back and make everyone late, or skip the ones your already late for and keep everyone else on time, customers generally understand that sometimes due to weather/illness/holidays etc you might not be able to make it to them til the following month, you should know which of your custies would be ok with it and which ones wouldnt, use your judgement

6. Gmeister

Gmeister Grand Master

AH ha! good thinking there posh!

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Well-Known Member

I can't believe anyone is bothered if you are a week or even two late. With the weather everyone has to be flexible. As long as you get there and are regular then there shouldn't be a problem. As far as trying to contact them to say you will be a bit late: blx. Waste of time and effort. Chillax.

8. harunh

harunh Legend

Well said mate :)

Advertisement