Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ladder spikes, safety feet ?

as i said id personally cut the spikes down so only an inch sticks out. when you are using them on grass i always put my full weight on the lower rung so the ladder feet dig into ground a tad. then uv got the feet gripping ground AND the spikes which is a great combination
I haven't put the spike in the other side yet so haven't drilled in on that side so will move both spikes up so just an inch sticking below bottom of feet. I will have to drill two new holes but have to anyway on other side.

I haven't put the spike in the other side yet so haven't drilled in on that side so will move both spikes up so just an inch sticking below bottom of feet. I will have to drill two new holes but have to anyway on other side.
i think id put bolts in the empty holes then. retain ladders original strength

as i said id personally cut the spikes down so only an inch sticks out. when you are using them on grass i always put my full weight on the lower rung so the ladder feet dig into ground a tad. then uv got the feet gripping ground AND the spikes which is a great combination
Are you sure the flat edge of spike is on the shoe side??? It would grip better the other side.

You don't want the angled side towards you..easier to slide out of little grooves etc then

You would want the flat side towards you

I reckon that's the perfect length @boarcity the ladder feet will just about touch the ground also if it was to try and slip

Thanks guys will turn spikes around and stick them half to an inch under bottom of ladder feet like Boarcitys.

Is it find to use spikes when climbing on garage roofs from a ladder or doing gutters etc? Are they great for every kind of work?

Would spikes be a good idea for decking.

I picked up one today with super slippy decking it turn I had to pull out the wfp for clean tops

Would spikes be a good idea for decking.
I picked up one today with super slippy decking it turn I had to pull out the wfp for clean tops
as long as the decking planksView attachment 7944 runs sideaways [as in this image]the spikes sit in the gaps or the grooves providing a perfect grip . but obviously if the planks run away from the house spikes are no good in that situation

Last edited:
Thanks guys will turn spikes around and stick them half to an inch under bottom of ladder feet like Boarcitys.
Is it find to use spikes when climbing on garage roofs from a ladder or doing gutters etc? Are they great for every kind of work?
spikes sit in the tiniest crevice ,every surface you come across in normal day to day has a ridge or groove on it somewhere. iv even used my ladders indoors on berber carpet . i always throw down a folded scrim first and then the spikes dont mark the carpeting

the only type of surface that spikes are probably no good on is polished marble or similar perfectly smooth or shiny surfaces such as laminate flooring or quarry tiles . i cant ever recall working on marble/laminate myself but if i did id certainly want the ladder footing

original feet on ladders are perfectly good if the grounds clean and dry.the trouble is in the job of window cleaning the ground surface is very variable. you can be on bone dry concrete one minute then 10 minutes later the ground round the back is damp and dusty. normal ladder feet have much reduced grip on damp ground. but spikes grip no matter what the ground conditions

Last edited:
I've got these on my ladders (the articulated stud ones)

Non-Slip Rubber Feet which articulate - by Ladders999 - Lansford Access Ltd

Perfect for all surface types, grips into grass extremely well and when on slippy decking provided the boards are the right way. Large surface area too
Use these my self 21 stud ones for years on my ladder change the feet every 3-6 months my ladder has never slipped 

Cheaper from soap national if you to replace your feet ?11.50 plus vat 

Use these my self 21 stud ones for years on my ladder change the feet every 3-6 months my ladder has never slipped 

Cheaper from soap national if you to replace your feet ?11.50 plus vat 
I did 20 odd years and never used spikes. I just bought quality ladders and changed rubber feet when required, never hurt myself thankfully. 

Does anyone know where I can purchase spikes online ?
One of my customers made a base from a piece of scaffolding plank a little wider than his ladder. He screwed a timber lat across the width. The idea was this would stop the ladder moving on the scaffold plank.  He drilled a couple of holes parallel to the lat and countersunk the hole on the underside. He then got a couple of long bolts with a good length of shoulder, inserted them into the 2 holes he had drilled and secured them with a nut and washer each side. The countersunk he drilled was deep enough so the nut and washer didn't protrude past the surface of the plank. He cut the heads off of the bolts which left a shaft. He could safely use that as a ladder stay on grass and on decking with the shoulders of the bolt fitting between the gaps of the decking.

Back