Tough canvassing

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by Danfire, Aug 10, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Danfire

Danfire Well-Known Member

Canvassed a road today where a previous crew of cleaners have dropped all of their customers....From what I can make out they were unbelievably cheap (big 5 bed detached places with conservatories for a tenner)....most people I spoke to said they never cleaned frames....spent my afternoon trying to convince folk that £30 is closer to the going rate....had a Greek looking woman tell me she would pay £15 for me to do glass and leave the frames....to my shame I agreed, think I will probably back out tell her I don't want to risk damaging my reputation.

Advertisement
  2. Alien Human

Hats off to you for getting out there to drum up new business.......as challenging as it was. Keep going fella :thumbs:

3. adamangler

adamangler Wakefield Window Warrior

demoralizing when that happens, why i dont like canvassing.

4. Ant

Ant Well-Known Member

A tenner! Lord above! No wonder you had a job convincing them! You did bloomin well getting them though :thumbsup:

Yeah watch out for them bubble n squeaks, always up to their tricks :p

5. boarcity

boarcity Guest

everyone knows the recession has gone now so dont ever go in low now on pricing. iv noticed that a lot of windies quitted just as the recession ended which means theres loadsa work going begging

keep us posted on that Greek

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. adamangler

cant understand why anyone would quit. maybe sell up to do something else or go into another business but quit? dont think theres ever a need to quit you just have to try harder, if you devoted all your time to knocking and cleaning its almost impossible to fail.

not that i do lol, but if i had to i would, failure isnt an option for me put too much into it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Danfire

Danfire Well-Known Member

I've got a theory...new, desperate cleaners go in way too low to quickly generate a full order book...once they've started they realise what's involved and instead of having that awkward conversation and telling existing customers they need to double or triple their prices they take on new work at a realistic rate and the original, underpriced stuff gets dropped.

8. adamangler

Tis true dan, if you need the work you need the work but it must be a pain to build a full round cheap then have to basically do it all again to get better prices.

9. rugbywolf

rugbywolf Forum Addict

Are you trad or wfp? You don't have to clean the frames, it's only something that's come about in recent years. It would have been an 'Extra'. I remember when doing the sills was an 'extra'.

10. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

In this climate i think you do need to do frames and sills everytime as you want to be better than any possible competition
    Imo reputation is everything in this game

Advertisement