Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trad and water fed

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JackRP

Happy New Year everyone!

I started water fed last year but I am a firm believer that you should at least try trad style too. I really enjoy doing my own windows trad
My question is, is it worth combining the 2 styles and offering trad (I’ve only ever had one person ask for trad) as well as water fed? Is there a time benefit? Any difference in quoting? Advantages/disadvantages?
I have a small set up for trad but I’d get everything I’d need to do a house. I won’t be using a ladder, just pole with applicator/squeegee
I’d be grateful for any input for trad work or combining the 2
Thank you

It's personal preference but being able to trad could be useful for internal cleans.
As for speed, you could time yourself on your own home. I would guess wfp is quicker at doing a complete job i.e. glass and frames.

It's personal preference but being able to trad could be useful for internal cleans.
As for speed, you could time yourself on your own home. I would guess wfp is quicker at doing a complete job i.e. glass and frames.
I did initially get the kit with the intention of doing internal, so maybe I’ll offer an internal service and leave the external to the wfp if timing isn’t any better.

I started up 18 months ago traditional window cleaning. It’s took off pretty well and I have built up a customer base of around 200 customers all on a 4 weekly basis. I’ve just been out and bought a van with a facelift system in and will be switching to wfp. It will be done over time as I know I’ll lose a few customers and with the economy as it is I know it might be a struggle to replace them.

To achieve the best results you need to do both methods or stick with wfp and choose jobs wisely some windows just don’t like wfp no matter how much scrubbing and rinsing you do . I have a mix of both my hole round I only trad 3 jobs tho rest all good with wfp

It is preference wfp will be quicker good luck offering to do insides always found them a pain ,I just stick to outsides
From my limited experience I can tell wfp is quicker, if I took one of my windows as an example.
That was my next question. Whether there was actually a real market for internal!

To achieve the best results you need to do both methods or stick with wfp and choose jobs wisely some windows just don’t like wfp no matter how much scrubbing and rinsing you do . I have a mix of both my hole round I only trad 3 jobs tho rest all good with wfp
It still bugs me that I had to turn down the one trad quote at the time.
Maybe I can build on the trad and it’s there if someone asks again

From my limited experience I can tell wfp is quicker, if I took one of my windows as an example.
That was my next question. Whether there was actually a real market for internal!
I think there is a market for it we don’t do internals apart from commercial contracted stuff that includes some internal windows , but do get asked a lot for this it’s not something I want to do but feel a lot would like it , if you are short in work and enjoy it then I would offer it .

I started up 18 months ago traditional window cleaning. It’s took off pretty well and I have built up a customer base of around 200 customers all on a 4 weekly basis. I’ve just been out and bought a van with a facelift system in and will be switching to wfp. It will be done over time as I know I’ll lose a few customers and with the economy as it is I know it might be a struggle to replace them.
That’s great. Fingers crossed you’ll be able to keep them and hopefully gain more!
Do you think you’ll continue some as trad or thinking you’ll completely move over to wfp?

That’s great. Fingers crossed you’ll be able to keep them and hopefully gain more!
Do you think you’ll continue some as trad or thinking you’ll completely move over to wfp?
Will eventually move completely to wfp. I’m 52 and have had 30 plus years scaffolding so my knees aren’t going to take much more up and down ladder action ?.

Ultimately what it boils is if you are happy offering two different levels of service, doing upper windows trad with a pole is never going to achieve the same results as wfp, I watched lads before I just thought why even bother it takes longer than wfp and they are only doing the glass,

I have had no desire to offer trad alongside wfp since I switched over 14 years ago but I do still do the odd internal job usually a small lantern roof every 3 months and one job that has high-level internal windows all of which need to be done off a ladder.

I'm mainly WFP but some houses with the windows above flat roofs, the only way to reach them is using a ladder. I also do bungalows trad, it's slightly slower but makes a nice change!

I tend to go with what way gets the work done quicker, I changed all my run over to wfp but ended up changing around half of it back as it was quicker doing it trad. Basically all the easy work where you can fly through them has been kept trad. The other half won't get changed back.

I'm mainly WFP but some houses with the windows above flat roofs, the only way to reach them is using a ladder. I also do bungalows trad, it's slightly slower but makes a nice change!
Ok, what happens if you go through the flat roof. Your insurance company will ask if the roof was safe to work on and without certificates the answer is no so any damage, to you or the building, isn't covered.

Ok, what happens if you go through the flat roof. Your insurance company will ask if the roof was safe to work on and without certificates the answer is no so any damage, to you or the building, isn't covered.

I usually tell the customers that it's not a problem doing the roof ones but any damage caused from me walking on it is on them. Obviously if it doesn't feel safe I won't go on it. If there roofs collapsing because it can't take someone's weight though then its really not safe to live in. Some of the old garage roofs I won't go on as you can feel it when you put weight on it.

What I will say though is if they have any problems with there roof and even if yoy haven't done any damage by walking on it, the first thing the persons asking who built it is does anyone walk on it. Then the builders putting all blame on yourself.

Back