Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trad starter gear list - another one

WCF

Help Support WCF:

jimbob1

Hi guys been reading here for a while and tbh im more confused now than when I first joined the forum :) so planning
to go trad first and then swap over to wfp when I have a better clue and funds permitting.

Been working on flyers, not complete yet, as I have been thinking of doing business card instead.

Have a minimal budget, need to get my finger out and get going asap.

Shopping List
- Unger ErgoTec® Monsoon - 14" or 18"
_ Unger Ninja Squeegee -14
- Bucket
-Ladders?
- OOOO steelwool
- Soap/detergent
- Microfibres

Do I need a 14" or 18" squeegee??
Anything I have left out please let me know.

Hi guys been reading here for a while and tbh im more confused now than when I first joined the forum :) so planning
to go trad first and then swap over to wfp when I have a better clue and funds permitting.

Been working on flyers, not complete yet, as I have been thinking of doing business card instead.

Shopping List
- Bucket
-Ladders?
- OOOO steelwool
- Soap/detergent
- Microfibres

I personally found the 14 inch better the 18 is more fore huge pains of glass like very big shop fronts .
You will need a bucket on a belt ( boab)
A small retractable scraper and spare blades .
Might also depending what work you will be doing getting a shorter squeegee as well 6 inch is useful if doing Georgian smaller pains , you can buy a longer channel and cut then to what ever size you need , also a few spare rubbers . Think that’s about it ?
Ladders I would personally recommend Ramsey pointer doubles I found then far more versatile than a traditional ladder , as for length that will depend on the type of properties in your area , I had 3 meter and 4meter doubles and a 5 meter for 3 storey stuff but wouldn’t recommend going that high on ladders now .

You will need a belt with pockets to carry scraper, cloths etc.
It might be worth thinking about a bucket with a lid. OK so they may not be 100% water tight but it does make transporting it in a van or car easier.

Padded belt
Double pocket Pouch
Squeegee holster
BOAB
14” applicator & spare sleeve
14” squeegee
10” squeegee
Spare squeegee rubbers
4” glass scraper & stainless blades
Bucket
Detergent
Pack of 10 big flat weave microfibres for detailing
Pack of 10 terry weave microfibres for frames
Double 3.5m ladder, point is most versatile, regular ladders are cheaper/lighter.
Ladder mitts, if regular ladder
Ladder clamps for roof rack.

That’ll get you started on a lot of jobs.

Traditional extension pole 1.5-3m
Angle adaptor for extension pole
ProGutter kit
Ladder stand-off
Ladder bucket hook

That’ll help with some more awkward windows and allow you to do some gutter emptying.

HI all am starting up and i just got my self a big window cleaning round was for sale, am looking for somewhere good to get the tools from the round is all Traditional so i would need good ladders and all that be me and a mate who got this big round, thanks

HI all am starting up and i just got my self a big window cleaning round was for sale, am looking for somewhere good to get the tools from the round is all Traditional so i would need good ladders and all that be me and a mate who got this big round, thanks
Just a question out of curiosity, why would you buy a big round and not have the tools to do the job, do you have experience in trad window cleaning?

Sounds a tad bizarre. Usually the person selling the big round gives you stuff or sells you stuff. They usually take you round with them so you can meet your customers or their new window cleaner. ?

Shopping List
- Bucket
-Ladders?
- OOOO steelwool
- Soap/detergent
- Microfibres

14 inch, plus advise a 10 or 12 inch too, you will find you use either one more than a 14inch

Just a question out of curiosity, why would you buy a big round and not have the tools to do the job, do you have experience in trad window cleaning?
I got 10 years Experience i been working with a big window cleaner for 4 years and i did not have any tools of my own. £5000 a mouth it is and i want to go on my own as he hes moving away soon. the round i got is my own and a mate of my gone with me i just want to know where is good to get the tools by as in 6 mouths time be going to wpf

If you have 10 years experience I would say best to stick with the tools you have previously used. As for ladders are you used to pointers or 'normal' ladders? Go for trade rated ones and might be worth sticking to a window cleaning supplier not screwfix/toolstation type of shop. Just search Window cleaning suppliers I am sure that any of the top 3 or 4 companies would be happy to help.
Good luck with your new round, let us know how you get on as £5K round is going to keep the 2 of you fairly busy. To be honest if you have got £5K coming in a month then it might be better to go straight for wfp otherwise you will just get customers used to you and then be switching them over to wfp. That said if it is all trad work might be worth switching over a bit at a time so you can gain speed if your 10 years is all trad?

If you have 10 years experience I would say best to stick with the tools you have previously used. As for ladders are you used to pointers or 'normal' ladders? Go for trade rated ones and might be worth sticking to a window cleaning supplier not screwfix/toolstation type of shop. Just search Window cleaning suppliers I am sure that any of the top 3 or 4 companies would be happy to help.
Good luck with your new round, let us know how you get on as £5K round is going to keep the 2 of you fairly busy. To be honest if you have got £5K coming in a month then it might be better to go straight for wfp otherwise you will just get customers used to you and then be switching them over to wfp. That said if it is all trad work might be worth switching over a bit at a time so you can gain speed if your 10 years is all trad?
i got a van with 500lt system not done trad for years been doing 4/5 years wpf so i got

Unger Pro i was dont know to get normal or pointers just need to know what ones as not used pointers. i got 10 years with trad but not done it for 4/5 years now. 5k a mouth i nthou was good to buy​

i got a van with 500lt system not done trad for years been doing 4/5 years wpf so i got

Unger Pro i was dont know to get normal or pointers just need to know what ones as not used pointers. i got 10 years with trad but not done it for 4/5 years now. 5k a mouth i nthou was good to buy​

If you have a van with tank and are used to wfp I would be inclined to switch the customers over to that straight away. You will need to 'sell your service' a bit but mention H&S, doing frames, sills and glass, plus you can reach windows trad can't, mention wet when finished but will dry as it's pure water. Ask them to allow you to do wfp for 2 cleans before they make decision by then you will have proved how good and reliable you are.
I really wouldn't start doing trad if you can help it, you know it's slower and unless you really take your time will not give as good a finish to the whole window. I'm not sure 500lts with you both doing it will last a day, so you might want to setup an IBC in your garage/garden so you have some to fill back up say at lunch time or find a local Spotless Water place.

I got 10 years Experience i been working with a big window cleaner for 4 years and i did not have any tools of my own. £5000 a mouth it is and i want to go on my own as he hes moving away soon. the round i got is my own and a mate of my gone with me i just want to know where is good to get the tools by as in 6 mouths time be going to wpf
Sounds like you got your work cut for you. I read some of the posts. If your skilled with wfp I would just switch all the customers to wfp form day one.

If your not a trad guy it's gonna be a learning curve and with that in Flux of customers on the round you won't be able to get to them all on time and you will lose customers.

Hope thus helps.

Latest Posts

Back