Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trad to wfp?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Belfastcleaning

I have a residential run Iv been doing for 5 years all traditional methods and always said I'd never go wfp. There is quite alot of work that ladders would be easier for and not all windows are accessible by the pole. But I have decided To go for wfp for all the risky and pain in the ass houses and maybe try for commercial work.

I was needing some help,

How long would 400 litres keeP you working for? And how long does it take to get 400l of pure water?

If I was to want 2 poles going at once, how would I go about this?

The area I live in has soft to moderate soft water, will just a di setup be ok or will I need the ro? Or will it be better to just test the water myself?

What's the reason for different sized di vessels?

Also what do you find easier, make pure water in the shed then transfer to van or just put it all in van?

Sorry for all the questions, Any advice is greatly appreciated..

I swore never to go wfp. if it ain't broke and all that..... but I did and not looked back.

if you have a van, which is best way to go if can, then it's simple, 2 pumps, 2 controllers. if in car, then 2 back packs.

depending on setup at your location, when I started, I wanted to fill the van as quick as poss, but couldn't have static tank. so got a 4040, and filled it on drive.

4040 fastest membrane, with booster and good pressure can do up to 300 litres an hour. cheaper membranes can take up to a day to do that much.

ppm is water quality, or tds, total dissolved solids. if it's low you may not need an RO, and can just use resin. buy a tds meter and check, you'll always need one.

if you don't have a drive and filling on road, then static prob better, can transfer to van in couple mins.

I do 200-250 litres by self, and 300-350 with my wife.

hope this helps. :huh:

I use 350 litres myself most days, so i would say you need at least a 650 litre tank for a 2 man setup (i'm assuming that is what you are thining about if you want 2 poles going at the same time) . Bigger vessels simply mean they need changing less often. Definately check your water with a tds meter, and if you can, set up a static system, there are no real cons. Even if your water is under 100ppm i would still use an r/o system on a static setup, you can still use di to bring the ppm right down to zero, but consumption will be minimal. For setting up a 2 man system, you can get away with using one pump, but it can lead to problems with your pump controller as there will be different loads at different times. Best way would be to split the hose out of the tank and have 2 pumps each with a controller going to each reel.

Cheers for all replies! Iv alot to learn yet. Checked homebase and b&q but neither sell a tds meter so guess I'll have to wait to during the week before I can get one. There is a lack of window cleaning supplies here in Belfast!!

So if I put a tank out in the shed, link it to whatever di/ro I decide, all I need for the van is a tank, and hose pump pole?

I guess 0 ppm would be ideal, but what would maximum be? Can the ppm ever rise after you have put it through the system?

I reckon not all of my customers will accept this, and have customers Who have left wfp cleaners. So I don't really don't know how much water I'll need.. I'll prob go threw a bit extra water til I get the hang of it, but thought of 400 as it was around middle. I wouldn't mind just tops wfp and bottoms trad.

There is just so many options

Cheers for all replies! Iv alot to learn yet. Checked homebase and b&q but neither sell a tds meter so guess I'll have to wait to during the week before I can get one. There is a lack of window cleaning supplies here in Belfast!!

So if I put a tank out in the shed, link it to whatever di/ro I decide, all I need for the van is a tank, and hose pump pole?

I guess 0 ppm would be ideal, but what would maximum be? Can the ppm ever rise after you have put it through the system?

I reckon not all of my customers will accept this, and have customers Who have left wfp cleaners. So I don't really don't know how much water I'll need.. I'll prob go threw a bit extra water til I get the hang of it, but thought of 400 as it was around middle. I wouldn't mind just tops wfp and bottoms trad.

There is just so many options
No you wouldnt get one at a diy store mate, at least i wouldnt think so. You will get one on ebay, or on any website for companies selling supplies for the window cleaning industry. You get a few different brands of tds meters, but unless someone else on here knows better, i would suggest an 'hm digital', which will cost approx £15.

As for tank size, 400l should be fine if you are working alone, but you mentioned wanting to run 2 poles at the same time, so i assumed from that you were thinking about a 2 man setup. Different windy's on here will have different opinions on this, but as i said earlier, i would say that you need at least 650l for a 2 man setup, certainly if wfp only, and working a full day. For a tank of that size, with a 2 man set up, i would suggest you get a van with at least 1100kg payload.

Cheers I'll order one on eBay today.

I'm hoping to just buy the gear over the next few weeks.

One other q I had, can the pole be attached to a garden tap? As I have a high PVC and don't fancy going up the triples lol

if you specify a hozelock fitting on end of pole, then yes could attach pole direct to garden tap, or to normal hose reel.

I have never used more than 400 litres on a day with me and wife, and that was a huge day in hot summer, but better to have room for more, at least if have static you don't need to wait to produce more water. but is time wasting going home for more.

on ppm you will different answers. I go up to 15 before change resin, have mistakenly gone up to 25 with minimal spotting in the sun on bad glass, but would recommend the lower the better. until u get the hang of things.

I was worried, we had customers who had come over cus didn't like previous window cleaners with wfp. out of about 300 customers we lost about 5, 1 old dear was convinced it would rot her walls. prepare them well what to expect, and stress the health benefits and frames cleaned and they do stay cleaner for longer. but conversely we have picked up customers who love the system too.

if do want to talk stuff over, my details are on my website if you google as window cleaning ross on wye if I can be of any (probably limited!) advice!

Cheers mate, I will more than likely be in touch soon lol.

There isnt many videos on YouTube explaining how the system really works. And that's how I ended up here!

Can someone explain briefly the process from garden tap to in the van ready to use?

Sorry for the hassle if anyone needs any trad tips I'm happy to help lol

prob need booster, I bought pressure gauge for 15 odd quid to check tap pressure.

I might generalise somewhere along way, and all my opinions!

4040 RO best membrane, quickest, less waste, best quality. June at gaps water very helpful, unless you buy whole kit and get it installed. along with the RO u normally have 2 prefilters. can go thru Di after the RO, and into holding tank, or have Di vessels in van, pros and cons for both.

transfer pump and hose from tank to van, unless your close and tank high, in which case leave it to gravity.

baffled tank in van, to pump, then Di (unless it's already been polished). with controller(s). reel(s) and poles.

think summed it up, in brief.

oh, and make sure tank is secured in van properly /emoticons/wink.png/emoticons/tongue.png

Latest Posts

Back