Trade associations

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Paul, Apr 6, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Paul

Paul Guest

Is any of you part of any trade associations of any type?

Advertisement
  2. Paul

Paul Guest

I'll take that as a no lol

3. Masons

Masons Guru

I was once in the FWC or something but no point for last few years, thinking may join another, don't know who to choose.
    Yourself?

4. Matty H

Matty H Forum Addict

I'm a member of the BWCA :)

http://www.bwca.co.uk/directory2.php?expand=644

5. Paul

Paul Guest

No but I would like to, maby something local but like yoursel I don't know who to choose or even where to look. [hr]
    What do you need Marty to be part of BWCA ?

6. Matty H

Matty H Forum Addict

I think you need to go on the bwca course to achieve membership. It was £125 for window cleaning skills and WFP course mate

7. Masons

Masons Guru

^ What have you gained from being a member?

8. Matty H

Matty H Forum Addict

When I was canvassing for commercial work at the start I was asked by some of the businesses if I was "qualified" - which to be honest did surprise me. Being a member certainly helped me get the contracts with some of these jobs. It also meant they felt I was more of a professional set up. After all, of they were after a plumber or electrician for example, they would ask the same question.

It probably hasn't made any difference as far as residential work goes - but having the membership gave me the start I needed as a new business. It might not be for everybody but I'm glad I did it.

I know a windy of 10yrs service who used to do my house before I started and he has no commercial work and has tried no end to get the work - however;

He doesn't have a sign written van
    He works in jeans trainers and a waterproof jacket - no company name or logos
    He is always complaining that he can't get any commercial work and I saw him about a month ago and pointed to my van and logo on my polo shirt. He just doesn't think it matters. The proof is in the pudding.

9. Belfastcleaning

Belfastcleaning Grand Master

I love my Nike air max, most comfortable trainer for walking about with ladders all day! Also wear tracksuit bottoms and a navy coat. When the hot weather comes I'm planning on getting a few polos and jumpers made, and maybe a branded coat for canvassing, but as 99% of my work is residential they don't mind.

I was going to wait til I got a new van until I got it sign written, just my van is ex postie, anyone else have a red van?

10. Paul

Paul Guest

There must be more than that because I defo would not be going to do a window cleaning course.

Advertisement