Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help and advice

petemoore

I am looking at changing jobs and considering window cleaning. Can anyone give me some advice on thing like:

Do I buy an established round or canvas my own

What to charge if I do start my own (Rochdale, Oldham, Bury area)

Will I need any forms of insurance

How many houses a day are done on a round on average

How much does the weather affect window cleaning

Best places to get ladders and equipment

Any reasons why I shouldn't do it

Thanks in advance

First things first Pete. Welcome. :thumbsup:

What line of work do you do now? Are you employed or self employed? It is a big change to go from a guaranteed cheque each week to having to go out an earn it no matter what.

You can have sunny days at 34 degrees and winters days at -10 in the pi$$ing rain and sleet. Still got to earn.

Insurance you have to have Public Liability Insurance, required by law. If you want an employee then you need Employers Liability Insurance as well.

I work solo and average 20 houses per day, when I have a helper it is usually 30-35

As for prices call three local window cleaners to come give you a quote for your house, then you will know the area average.

There are many suppliers, I rate Gardiners and The Cleaning Warehouse.

Canvasing is a lot cheaper than buying a round. Buying a well established round however can be a good investment as you have instant client base. (I only ever canvass)

Why should you not? Cause you don't have what it takes! Who knows? Only you can really answer this question.

Good luck

I always say canvassing yourself is best.

It will be worrying at first when you go to clean houses you have canvassed and they haven't unlocked gates etc or turn you away as they have changed their minds, suddenly your planned daily income has dropped by 50 quid.

No bother just canvass some more to fill the gaps.

Canvass 1 day..clean the next and you will get to a point that you work every day and canvass in the afternoon when finished.

I reckon canvassing yourself is still better than paying for one or paying for a round where you haven't set the prices etc.

That way all your jobs you have seen beforehand.

I wouldn't charge more for 1st cleans when canvassing as you will need as many customers as you can get rather than worrying about the money/time equation at first.

Weed out the messers.

Canvass to fill gaps.

Can build up a good round of quality work that way and the money you save not buying a round will cover the early few weeks when things are tough.

Good luck bud.

youre over thinking it if your asking, what if ? how can i ?should i etc .

either do it or dont do it

no ifs or buts and if youre not started by August im sure you never will do it.

try walking distance first this way you have no expenses with petrol and it will be a taster if you like it! or what you could do is clean friends houses near you for free as i find people see you working and you will get approached and gain jobs this way, the last thing you want to do is go out canvasing with no or very little experience of work or pricing to undercut or give a better offer than the current cleaner, only to find you do not like the job when it starts to get cold, it will be a waste of your and the customers time especially the person you have taken the work off!

Personally I have bought rounds - then sold on - until I am now working only good ( afluent) areas

Say you buy 1 k worth of work for 4/5 k

You will build that 1 k a month into 2 k a month fairly quickly

You will never look back and think ooh wish I hadn't spent 4 k

Back