Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gaining work from council

Tony Hardie

Hi all does anyone know what the criteria is for gaining contract work from the council. And what would be the best way to approach them. Has anyone out there been successful.

Regards

Tony

Welcome Tony.

Council work is 2 part:

Part 1: 99% of it goes to the lowest bidder.

Part 2: 99% of councils take 90 days or more to pay you what's owed.

Nottingham council is such a pi$$ taker that they actually have their own WFP vans and bid on tenders in the private sector.

Good luck.

Depending on which council the window cleaning will come up for tender every 1-3 years.

Most will want you to have chas and safecontractor.

Due to the size of the contracts they may look at your company to make sure you can deal with

a-manpower and management of a large contract

B-Have the funds/capital to fund the costs like green said they may want up to 90 days so you will need the cash for staff,equipment and consumables.

The contract for my local council contract is around a million last time I looked they won't entertain a one man banned at all.

Depending on which council the window cleaning will come up for tender every 1-3 years.Most will want you to have chas and safecontractor.

Due to the size of the contracts they may look at your company to make sure you can deal with

a-manpower and management of a large contract

B-Have the funds/capital to fund the costs like green said they may want up to 90 days so you will need the cash for staff,equipment and consumables.

The contract for my local council contract is around a million last time I looked they won't entertain a one man banned at all.
Well that's put paid to that idea cheers

Part of our councils criteria is being established for at least 3 years.

I went to price a newly built residential unit where I clean 90% of the residents flats. The manager and residents asked me to put a bid in to clean the communal areas (hadn't been touched since build, in September) as they are extremely filthy. Took my bid proposal in person to the council and was told matter of factly that this is not how they expect things to be done and they have their own contractors. ****** me off no end as the windows are manky the residents pay through the nose for they place and they have to look at those Windows everyday.

^^ Dont know why you went direct and not to the person (manager) that asked for a quote. Often times building managers have authority to sign off on work upto a certain value.

I have one I do where she can authorize jobs up to £300 so I am usually a shade below that. /emoticons/smile.png

I did mate, it was them who told me to take the bid to the council as they have to approve it. They were desperate for them to be done as the residents were getting at them during each meeting, and as I already clean theirs and there every month they wanted me to do the complex too. Just reread my post above and I didn't explain that very clear. when I said the manager asked me to put a bid in I meant to say it's to go to the council

Big folders of work but make you jump thru hoops to get it and wait the max time for cash. Looked at my local one a while agao and was same thing

you need an insider at the council -who will want a backhander

where i live i happened to witness a backhander ,as i dined at a bus cafe it took place just ahead of where i sat . the guy cooking my bacon roll his eyes almost popped out his head!

the contract was for a seafront garden renovation project,running into several million and here they were exchanging bundles of notes .

Back