Traffic Light System For Underpriced Work

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Damo, Aug 20, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Damo

Damo Guru

Came across the idea on here back in May and thought it was a great idea. Slightly adapting though for just pricing.

I am printing my whole round off and applying the following.

Green - Price is ok.

Amber - Price could do with going up.

Red - Price needs to go up.

I know what you're thinking. Put them all up! Thing is I would but for example. I have a £19 house and it's been at £19 for 3/4 years. They always pay online within 24hrs. The house takes 20 mins. And I do 4 out of the 5 in the close. So I don't really want to risk putting that one up for the sake of a £1

It's more like the Mrs Jones at number 7. £9 and it should be £12!!!

As customers have come and gone the round is slowly sorting it's self out but I have a few now that I am starting to really hate doing. So I said I would increase the prices then.

I already have the letter drawn up from my last increase so I am going to post them out. Last price increase was over 2 years ago and we lost one customer over 50p and I think 2 went every other time.

Going to start off with the red first. See how I get on !

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    Advertisement
  2. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

:turd: Ones need to go up or you resent doing them

3. Damo

Damo Guru

I said that :rofl:

4. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

How long to u put price up ? I always give them notice ie .. Letter in September stating the reason why they goin up in jan ...

5. CHWS

CHWS Forum Addict

What do you put on the letter mate

6. Green Pro Clean Ltd

Good idea Damo this could be a good model for those that have purchased rounds, grown them and now need to 'hone' them so to speak.

Let us know how you get on.

7. peter rogers

peter rogers Grand Master

Just be polite and explain the price hasn't went up in xx years and the cost of cleaning has rose due to rising wages and cost of living. I have oly done it once. .. But gave it. Around 5 months before price rise .. People understood as it was only a pound here and there. Sayin that I do ones still for 6

8. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

Good idea - I got a few reds
    I think telling them few months before is good idea
    They got time to get someone else if they have to but they prob won't bother

9. Damo

Damo Guru

I spent ages drafting (IMHO) the perfect letter for prices rises.

It doesn't apologise, it has a business feel, personal feel and justifies without labelling specific reasons.

I am going to start the price increases in Sept of this year. Or should I say putting out letters. The price will change from the 1st Jan and to make it sound good. Fixed until 2020 as a minimum. So that's 3 years fixed.

I am hoping that some may try and find other window cleaners TBH. As my round needs to make room for new blood now.

I have around 30-50 customers at a guess that are stupidly cheap. The work out OK as I clean house after house after house in the road.

Lost a £12 house last week and picked up a £25 and £20. £12 house would take 30Mins. Fussy customer and bad access.

I can do the £25 and £20 in 40 mins. Makes you think eh lol.

10. Cookie

Cookie Member

I do something similar to the traffic light system. I time how long it takes to do regular maintenance cleans, from the time I get out of the van to the time I get back into the van - hose reeled up, poles put away etc .... in this way I can work out my hourly rate. I just jot the clean start time and end time down from the clock in my van & work it out from this. I normally just tell customers face to face that I'm putting the price up from next clean, if I don't see them I just jot down on the reverse of my "Your windows have been cleaned" slip - 'Regular clean price to to increase by £x from next clean'. I don't think there's any need to justify a price increase - after all Tesco, Asda etc... don't - and I don't think there's any need to say you're going to fix the the price for x number of years. I reckon you may lose one or two customers through this but they were probably looking for an excuse to cancel your service anyway ...

Advertisement