Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Training required Ireland

Danny boy

Hi folks new on here really appreciate all the help and advice that ye share I’m hoping to start out myself some time soon and I’m wondering if there is anyone here in Southern Ireland who would be willing to meet up and share some advice and maybe a bit of training as well to help me get over the initial starting out fear obstacle thanks in advance 

That's a good idea Danny, thats what I did. You'll probably have to travel though, as it's unlikely you'll get help from the local competition! Definitely get to see a first clean, and what's involved if you can ?

Research, study and mental rehearsal. That's what I did. I was going to do a course with Ionics but they didn't get back to me. I'm glad as I'd have wasted a lot of money unnecessarily. You should be able to teach yourself if you do it right. That's what I did, I built my own processing system in a purpose built shed at home with the help of the equipment supplier (Streamline, in my case for the processing equipment) when I needed advice. Daqua comes very highly recommended for processing equipment. Most of the info you need can be found on the forums. This is by far the better one and has been a great help to me since I started six and a half years ago. Ask specific questions as you go along and start to gain a little of the basic information to build on.

There are so many different opinions and ways of doing things that you will find it confusing. Try to break it down methodically to get some idea and to get started.

Sorry this doesn't seem to be very helpful. It's daunting at first but if you keep cool, listen to the differing advice and think things through to see what you think will suit you you'll be fine.

Thanks lads really appreciate the advice I think it’s just building up the confidence I’ve been stuck in a low paid job for years and weary of taking the leap with a family to support,starting off with a backpack and seeing where it goes not afraid of hard work or weather.hopefully will have all the equipment and some cash saved for emergencies by September to start then,bloody nightmare trying to get equipment here and 20 euros for a 25 litre of pure water absolute robbery 

Thanks lads really appreciate the advice I think it’s just building up the confidence I’ve been stuck in a low paid job for years and weary of taking the leap with a family to support,starting off with a backpack and seeing where it goes not afraid of hard work or weather.hopefully will have all the equipment and some cash saved for emergencies by September to start then,bloody nightmare trying to get equipment here and 20 euros for a 25 litre of pure water absolute robbery 
20 euro for 25 litres WOW that is tacking the mickey.

I would say start out by working at weekends or days off. That way you can gauge the area and how easy it is to get customers without risking your job. OK so you won't get much rest time but at least you will be sure that there is a viable business there.

One of the first things to do is get a decent TDS meter (there are fakes on ebay etc, so try one of the known decent sellers like DAqua - no idea if they ship to you?). Then you will be able to work out what you need to process water. As a very rough guide 80 or less then you can just DI if over 80 then you need an RO. If you need a RO then Daqua do a 450GPD (US Gallons per day in ideal conditions) system for about £250 but I don't know about delivery. Also you really need high water pressure to get the RO working most efficiently, so you might need a little booster pump (£100 ish).

I assume you have looked at youtube with Squeeky Clean Dave, AE Mackintosh and green Pro Clean as good sources of info to name just 3. If you are good at DIY then @Apw1210 did a great thread on building a trolley system on here (have a search) and has some good info on his youtube channel. 

That's quite a low tds. Mine for instance is around 350. You might be able to make a start with just di and a trolley system. I'd think two vessels would get you going. Probably worth getting an RO system down the line once you're earning a bit as this would save on resin. Provided you are confident that you will have a customer base that will make it viable and profitable.

I would think a fairly modest/small unit would do you but it's not my area of expertise. Daqua is very highly recommended on the forum but I have no personal experience of them. The one I have is two 10 inch sediment filters in a twin housing around £50, a mains booster pump around £200, the Streamline Filterplus 600 RO unit around £400, teamed with two DI vessels around £130 I think. A bag of resin will set you back up to around £100 I think. Have you got space for the processing plant, about the size of a TV unit, give or take?

Have you got space for a 1000 litre IBC tank if you need it? Have you got space to build a small shed to store the processing gear and the tank in one place that will be within easy reach of water supply, electricity supply and the van for filling? This is the processing alone. There are multitudes of options and variations.
The above is what I use to great affect. You will probably get better advice from the more knowledgeable folk on the forum. The information I've shared is to give you an idea of what's involved and to help you get your head around it as you start out.

The delivery /working equipment is the other side you will need to sort out. I work with my son from a Merc Vito van, 650 litre flat Wyedale tank, two metal manual reels (no wheels we don't lift the reels out) 6mm Hi Viz hoze,
SLX22 pole, Univalve and Hoseless for water control and easy switching over of poles, supreme Dupont Tapertec Brush, 100 degree fan jets, Streamboard Shurflo pump and controller x2 one each at around £300 each. Leisure batteries x2 Numax mv35 120 AH, Durite SCR. This is what we use because this iI more or less what I started out with. I'd put money on it that the other guys on here will give you better advice on how to spend your money than I can as they will have more knowledge. I have outlined what I use. Might be worth contacting Streamline for a catalogue www.streamline.systems sales@streamline. Systems.
You don't need to buy from them necessarily but a look through a catalogue might help to make sense of it all.

Whereabouts in the old half acre do you live? My folks are from West Clare and I've lived about 15 years there split between two times.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's quite a low tds. Mine for instance is around 350. You might be able to make a start with just di and a trolley system. I'd think two vessels would get you going. Probably worth getting an RO system down the line once you're earning a bit as this would save on resin. Provided you are confident that you will have a customer base that will make it viable and profitable.

I would think a fairly modest/small unit would do you but it's not my area of expertise. Daqua is very highly recommended on the forum but I have no personal experience of them. The one I have is two 10 inch sediment filters in a twin housing around £50, a mains booster pump around £200, the Streamline Filterplus 600 RO unit around £400, teamed with two DI vessels around £130 I think. A bag of resin will set you back up to around £100 I think. Have you got space for the processing plant, about the size of a TV unit, give or take?

Have you got space for a 1000 litre IBC tank if you need it? Have you got space to build a small shed to store the processing gear and the tank in one place that will be within easy reach of water supply, electricity supply and the van for filling? This is the processing alone. There are multitudes of options and variations.
The above is what I use to great affect. You will probably get better advice from the more knowledgeable folk on the forum. The information I've shared is to give you an idea of what's involved and to help you get your head around it as you start out.

The delivery /working equipment is the other side you will need to sort out. I work with my son from a Merc Vito van, 650 litre flat Wyedale tank, two metal manual reels (no wheels we don't lift the reels out) 6mm Hi Viz hoze,
SLX22 pole, Univalve and Hoseless for water control and easy switching over of poles, supreme Dupont Tapertec Brush, 100 degree fan jets, Streamboard Shurflo pump and controller x2 one each at around £300 each. Leisure batteries x2 Numax mv35 120 AH, Durite SCR. This is what we use because this iI more or less what I started out with. I'd put money on it that the other guys on here will give you better advice on how to spend your money than I can as they will have more knowledge. I have outlined what I use. Might be worth contacting Streamline for a catalogue www.streamline.systems sales@streamline. Systems.
You don't need to buy from them necessarily but a look through a catalogue might help to make sense of it all.

Whereabouts in the old half acre do you live? My folks are from West Clare and I've lived about 15 years there split between two times.
Way down south cork city,thanks great advice I’m thinking of just filling drums starting out in a car

Latest Posts

Back