Traveling

Discussion in 'Advertising Offline/Online & Canvassing' started by Joshua D, Mar 25, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Joshua D

Joshua D Active Member

#1 Joshua D, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    I am now canvassing but its not going so well window cleaners popping up everywhere (Need a Gun lol) Traveling work is one thing I was thinking about but I don't want to travel so far its not worth going. What kind of distances do you all travel and is it worth it?
    I wouldn't mind traveling for a days worth of work but what if I canvass the area and only get two do I keep my number to myself just in case i decide to drop them after a few months of going, this doesn't sound good but business is business we all need to make money.
    If I'm traveling distances I would have to consider time, running costs, wear and tear on my vehicle and fuel even collecting money if necessary.
    Would you charge more for distance work? E.g Pound a window plus £2 per house for distance... over say 30 - 40 miles I travel 20miles everyday now :/ (there and back) Hate the idea of this but it might be necessary.
    Think Ive worked out if I travel over 50miles a day just to get there and back I would have to make at least £48 before its worth going unless I had a few along the way and a few a different way on the way back.

Advertisement
  2. laddergarder

I think you will get varied advice on this Joshua, there are some crews that do travel from one town to the next, then others that stick to a tight little area. For me all my work is within a 15 minute drive of my home. It comes down to what suites you. The truth is it can be slow going building up a round. You will come across one or two windies along the way that will tell you there are invisible lines on the map marking out turf you shouldn't work on. I personally have had about half a dozen in the 7 years I have been cleaning windows. All of them I told where to go, and carried on. If you cant get enough work cleaning windows, you have two choices. Work further away from home over more areas. Or vary the service you offer. You can do window cleaning, gutter cleaning, close cleaning, pressure washing.

Personally, I think you need to stick to your canvassing and grind it out for a bit longer before you decide on going down either of those roads. If your getting a couple of new customers each week your making progress, that will see you do better and better each month. Before you know it your diary will fill up. As for windies popping up every where. Dont assume a street is taken, or has no prospects on it because you see another window cleaner working on it. I have over 700 customers, and I can guarantee there will be another window cleaner working on every street I work on at some point.

When canvassing I try to avoid trouble were I can, so if a windy is working a street, I will leave it and canvass it later. But the main thing is to go back and canvass it later. They wont do every house. Also dont assume a street that doesn't yield any customers, is a dead lake you should never fish again. I have one street I do, which I have about a dozen customers on it. I canvased it twice, one year after another and didn't get a single customer. Then one day a customer stopped me in the street. "Oh are you are window cleaner, great mine hasn't turned up in months, can you come do mine". So I went by and got loads just by turning up and starting working on this new customer, they all just started popping there head out the door, "ohh, can you do mine as well please!". I had to work to about 8 oclock that day to fit them all in.

I started the same place your at now, only seven years ago with nothing, very little money, and no customers. Just allot of persistence. When I started I had borrowed my girlfriends car, had no ladders, or roof rack to put them on. Just about £30 worth of cheapo stuff from homebase.

Stick at it.

3. TolishAPurd

Great post mate^.

Personally Josh, I think its worth picking them up whereever they are within reason. The furthest I drive is half an hour, which seemed a long way at first, but then I picked up another 3 in the area including a couple of bigguns, so it has become worth the trek for me. Exentually as your round gets bigger if you decide you want to stay closer to home, you can always sell off a mini round to someone in that area, and the fact it is established, with proven good payers will work in your favour. It sounds like you are doing good already matey, so keep doing what you are doing.

4. Joshua D

Joshua D Active Member

With my old round I used to park the car and be gone for the day occasionally going back for some cloths or fresh water and lunch, traveling is something I'm trying to deal with lol Thanks for for your answers give me some ideas and help.

5. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

Josh, what happened with the round you and your grandad did? If you're thinking of travelling do it, especially if you have free time. I was house hunting a few years ago and came across this massive estate that was being built about 15 miles from me. I canvassed it and got a few jobs there. Looking back, I was lazy as I didn't keep at it and missed out on loads of work as it grew and grew. Why don't you try canvassing small villages and hamlets or areas in the sticks where other windys can't be arsed to go to. Plenty of manky mansions about. ;)

6. Posh

Posh Hero

Take what you can. You can't afford to be fussy when trying to build a round. Chances are your pick up some more but give it time. We'd all like em on our doorstep but at the start you gotta be prepared to do a bit of running about while building it up. It's not easy & takes time & frustration.

7. Joshua D

Joshua D Active Member

I stupidly sold it to fund my trip in europe biggest mistake ever as I was earning mega bucks for someone my age Ive knocked on half the costumers some have took me back but its not enough to live on I still live with my mum, I want out lol even thou its a bargain living here I want my own independents. I can only learn from my mistakes :). Thats what Im doing at the moment just small villages and hamlets :thumbsup:. Hard work thou as its not normal canvassing its drive from one house to the next aha.
    I dont mind the hard work its just the time and frustration I want them now :) Yeah I get I cant be picky I just dont want to be traveling and loosing money.
    Everyones advice has a impact Thanks everyone :), think Im going to mention to people who say no that I clean gutters and PVCu if they are interested :thumbsup:

Advertisement