Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Canvassing drop offs

Dan Paton

Here's a question lads. What rough percentage of canvassed customers do you find to be long term. I do understand that everyone's experiences will be different but I'm curious none the less. I ask as my stepson has just canvassed a load for himself and we where sitting talking about it 5 minutes ago.

Here's a question lads. What rough percentage of canvassed customers do you find to be long term. I do understand that everyone's experiences will be different but I'm curious none the less. I ask as my stepson has just canvassed a load for himself and we where sitting talking about it 5 minutes ago.
I've only canvassed new builds recently to try and drum up more work in a short period. I've not had many cancel altogether, most of the time I find that they will cancel the next clean for no reason. I've dumped some for being bad payers and stuff. You get that feeling though of kind of knowing that it's only a matter of time before things start to turn sour. Some how I've thought are stayers have cancelled twice in a row and have been removed from the round.

You won't keep them all that's for sure.

Yeah I agree tuffers. He's not going to keep them all. I was just curious as to a rough percentage of the amount that cancelled within a few months.

I've never had any cancel after a couple of cleans but do find you pick up some poor customers and you'll end up dropping them yourself for not paying or giving you grief!

Have lost a few on new builds though. After agreeing a quote someone has come round and bad-mouthed or undercut the work. That's happened before I even did the clean!

Yeah I agree tuffers. He's not going to keep them all. I was just curious as to a rough percentage of the amount that cancelled within a few months.
Very few have cancelled since I canvassed last August. It's mainly customers being bad payers, wanting less frequent cleans etc.

Come to think of it there have been a couple I've canvassed and they've cancelled before I've even cleaned the gaff stating their last window cleaner has turned up. God knows where he's turned up from unless the custy has only move locally.

Depends whats long term?

After a year maybe 25 %

15 % percent wil cancel before the first clean (couldnt say no to your face)

10% will go after the first clean (just wanted a one off)

10% wont be able to pay online afterall, so you have to dump

5% wont pay at all or make is super hard to get your money

then the rest will drop off over the coming months for all sorts of reasons (husband/brother/cat has decided they will start cleaning them all of a sudden is my favourite)

Canvassing - a double edged sword, by far the fastest way to pick up customers and the fastest way to lose customers.

A lot depends how picky you are as well Dan. 50 percent might cancel themselves and the rest is up to you. Im onine payments only, no poor access job, no set times and days and don't put up with much nonsense so I dump a lot myself.

Back