Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How things have moved on

rugbywolf

I was parked up in a cul-de-sac the other day waiting for someone and looking round at the houses. I noticed that of the twenty three house all had Upvc windows. Different to when I started when it was all wood and putty!! This is why dog-earing, Wagtails and liquidators are so necessary today, to get that edge, and why, in the "olden days" an ordinary squeegee would be fine. Don't get me wrong... I'd rather have the Upvc!!

Quite envy your upvc frames, over here its almost all wood, with som being aluminum and a rare upvc, i think thats also why you are able to get a rubber going for weeks, it doesent wear out as quick.

Funny that coz I prefer wood to upvc

Find I don't have to detail at all on them where a few upvc I still have to.

Strange that

Funny that coz I prefer wood to upvcFind I don't have to detail at all on them where a few upvc I still have to.

Strange that
I don't detail at all, but I still have some wooden ones now, and I keep a traditional squeegee for them.

I was parked up in a cul-de-sac the other day waiting for someone and looking round at the houses. I noticed that of the twenty three house all had Upvc windows. Different to when I started when it was all wood and putty!! This is why dog-earing, Wagtails and liquidators are so necessary today, to get that edge, and why, in the "olden days" an ordinary squeegee would be fine. Don't get me wrong... I'd rather have the Upvc!!
Of course, today in modern wooden windows you get double glazed sealed units installed which will have a rubber seal, so not quite the same as it was.

Agree that the glass can make a big difference. Also some UPVC units seem to have a great edge profile for cleaning and never need detailing and some are awful, always need detailing and the worse ones snag the rubber especially if you try to dive bomb, almost have to run the squeegee at 90 degree to the frame to prevent the snag, total pia on narrow openers.

Agree that the glass can make a big difference. Also some UPVC units seem to have a great edge profile for cleaning and never need detailing and some are awful, always need detailing and the worse ones snag the rubber especially if you try to dive bomb, almost have to run the squeegee at 90 degree to the frame to prevent the snag, total pia on narrow openers.
those are ones to port hole mate ;-)

Back