Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scared to go look!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I can't park Van very close to my house. What's best to do and what heater do I purchase to keep van defrosted overnight, even though I have no access to an electric socket ? Please

Best bet is to drain system down as much as possible. Remove anything that you can. IE hose reels. Pole hose.

Don't leave anything Damp inside like clothes/cloths/ bucket on belts with water in. Then lag pipes and wrap system and everything you can in big duvets.

Tube heaters are great for close proximity heating.

I have been doing some maths today and I think you could power 3 tube heaters from a big leisure battery.

They would be 40W each and you could place 3 in the van. Ideally near critical components.

120W works out to be 10amps I believe so a nice big 115AH battery on a timer could a good way to go.

Or start off with one 40W one and see how it goes. You need to keep temp at 0 pof above. Not super heat the van.

In my van set up I place duvet over tank and reels. I then place oil fired rad under blanket. Which results in a bloody warm van. Where I want to heat it. No fire risk as miles away from danager.

@spruce is your man for this problem tho.

I can't park Van very close to my house. What's best to do and what heater do I purchase to keep van defrosted overnight, even though I have no access to an electric socket ? Please

Gas heater

Add a gas bottle and regulator.

Set the thermostat at around 2 degrees and it will kick in and out as and when necessary. Not cheap but its a better solution than a diesel air heater for around the same price. It uses a minimal amount of battery power - a diesel heater uses a lot it get started -I've got an Airtronic so I know.

It draws air from outside and exhausts outside so is safe. Used in motorhomes.

IMHO you are wasting money trying to use an invertor and a leisure battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Saying that SIL never heated his van. His pump was slightly higher than the water tank. He would unscrew the filter and switch the pump on. It would suck air and pump all the water out of the pump.

We did spend an hour once trying to thaw the pipe out from the tank to his pump, but we managed to get him going. But we live on the NE coast so it isn't usually as cold as interior places.

He took his hose reel inside and the water in his tank was always below the baffles, so if it froze it shouldn't do any damage to the tank.

Latest Posts

Back