Undercut

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by SPECI4L, Nov 11, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. SPECI4L

SPECI4L Member

I'm not expensive by any stretch of the imagination but I was undercut for the first time in ten years yesterday.

3 bed detached, if they were in a row & I was going quick I could probably just about squeeze 5 into an hour & got dropped by an almost ten year customer for someone willing to take it on for £5! I was shocked that somebody is willing to work for so little! I used to clean them for a fiver around 2007. :eek:

Good luck to them though, a web of washing lines at the back & most of the windows have awkward top openers above very large panels... :rofl:

Advertisement
  2. TolishAPurd

10 years and they dump you for a few quid, that sucks mate. No doubt the guy thats taken them on will dump them when he realises how much work is involved for so little money.

3. boarcity

boarcity Guest

they usually quit within a year

4. david smith

david smith Guest

pretty sad story that...but me thinks they will be looking for a new windy again soon...........

i am cheapncheerful which is why i am so much in debt but not any more....this place has made me up the prices now i currently am too far behind on my work anyway and new jobs are a pain...

i havent had much new work of any decent quality since i started back as the area i am in is heavily covered in windys but last week i got one ask me over the hedge...the obvious question when you are up a ladder with all your kit on....are you a window cleaner?

my house is smaller than that one....how much?

with out seeing the house.....hmmmmm.....so i just said...£8....then.....oh sorry ....£10 (i forgot my new minimum price policy on new jobs...)

she said....they usually put it up the second time not the first....not too happy.....

anyway it was friday and getting dark and i was tired as i carried my ladder over towards her house....and over the fence i spied a conny....so of course ...i did a cnc runner...feck that for a tenner..:D

i felt a bit rotten as couldnt get back monday but fate is a strange thing....

in my emails....can i have a quote for cleaning windows....just two houses up..

so on tuesday morning i ventured out to look in the light of day.....at both jobs....

first i looked at hers and decided i could just do it for a tenner....but i did something i had never done before...i wrote the price on my card but....i didnt post it through thinking.....just lets see the house that emailed me first....

anyway....it was the same size...conny as well....so she was busy with a health visitor so i bravely pushed my card through the post box .....£15 first clean.....£10 normal...

i then went back to the other ripped up my pre quoted card and rewrote another at £15 first clean £10 normally.....

i then went to another identical one around the corner....and i thought.....got to keep the ball rolling and did the same again...

the moral of the story is....i got all three....

if only every day was like that...oh ...and er...the original lady...wasnt too happy about the double price increase...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  5. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Good for you as the only one being robbed is yourself if you decied to take on work too cheap

6. TolishAPurd

Good on ya davencheerful. :thumbsup:

My most expensive jobs are usually won by email, its a lot easier to quote high without being face to face.:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

When walking passed their house flick the 'V' sign hidden behind your other hand. I guarantee you'll feel better for doing it :thumbsup:. I do it to cop cars, my hand is below the window as I flick the 'V'. Childish I know :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  8. ♠Winp®oClean♠

♠Winp®oClean♠ Forum Addict

I've been undercut today too. Long standing customer who's never had a problem with price & often asks "is it still the same"? as I've never put it up either. Been doing her for about four years @ £35, some handy man has come along & offered to do them for £25 & she's accepted:rolleyes:. The thing is, half her windows can't be done by ladders. Not bothered about losing the £35 as I've work coming out my rectum but I am peeved at the disloyalty.

9. Tuffers

Tuffers Hero

I had a total opposite yesterday. It's a B&B and they had a bit of work done on it, no extra windows, just repositioned really. I gave her the invoice and she turned round and said she was going to put the price up by £5 from now on :)

10. boarcity

boarcity Guest

as i posted , undercutters nearly always fail in under a year, its strange but true

theres a lad in my town just started up in October, he has got the website,got the Tshirts! etc . i notice on his website he has written -" i will better anyone elses price."

that tag line has signed the death warrant for his business!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
Advertisement