Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

winter cleaning

CHWS

So this is my first proper winter with wfp , iv just done my own windows at the back which I haven't done in a couple of months , they were stinking and iv noticed they have a left a few water marks , is this a case of an extra scrub and rinse when they are quite dirty ? The front windows seem fine as I'd do them every month without fail

welcome!!!you are very fortunate with your first winter,its been pretty good apart from the rain.clean the frames avoid vents.try vision its a marmite thing,love it.

It's only my first winter using the water fed pole , do you give it an extra scrub and rinse when the windows are very dirty?

well done on your change over m8!!clean frames = clean windows.once you have achieved this all that is needed is quick scrub and rinse,saying that some windows can be problematic-such as poor seals etc

Yea iv noticed that on quite a few they leave dirty drips. How often do you do the frames mate and how long do you let them drip for

If they are minging scrub the top frames and rinse all the crud out from above

Then do another few windows and by that time it should have all run off

Then go back to the first ones and give a good scrub and rinse avoiding the top frame

Should be fine then

Ok davey , here's one that's always got me, for windows that have an above window to them and frame around it do you clean them all in one go or just the top bit let it drip and the come back to it?

Here's my hot tip, squirt the window with some Ubik 2000, then scrub it all over and watch it suds up, then just rinse till suds are gone, that's how I do all minging first cleans and never leaves spots as the suds act as a sort of 'marker' so you know that you got it all good.

a good tip with poor seals- etc.clean all top windows as per usual.go back to the first windows and rinse half an inch down avoiding the top seal.

It depends on the individual job

I know certain houses on my round i can do that and someni definitely can't

As a rule if it is an overhanging frame like a top opener i would do that one first then any others but leave the one under it as the last one on that window so it has a few seconds to drip a bit

As a rule of thumb on windows that have top openers. If they are hydrophilic you can pretty much scrub the lot then one rinse down. If hydrophobic clean opener first and go to next window before coming back to lower pane

a good tip with poor seals- etc.clean all top windows as per usual.go back to the first windows and rinse half an inch down avoiding the top seal.
You can usually tell if you're going to get a dirty run down the glass as the beads run down the glass in a straight line. I usually rinse as normal and then rinse the straight line of beads but not up to the frame. @tench0771 has a method for this too.

As a rule of thumb on windows that have top openers. If they are hydrophilic you can pretty much scrub the lot then one rinse down. If hydrophobic clean opener first and go to next window before coming back to lower pane
So when doing this do you scrub the frame in between them?

Don't know what everyone has against hydrophilic glass

Don't get as dirty

Easier to clean

Rinsing is a doddle as it repels the stuff you want to rinse off..just rinse closer together if worried

Don't see how it affects doing the glass underneath as it will drip off quicker

i usly scrub and rince as normal then shake the brush dry takes a second press the brush hard on the top fraim wipe the drips off the top bit of the fraim then press hard on the glass so the bristels just tuch the top sill to take any beads that r about the run down the glass the hole thing takes seconds some times on realy bad ones ill drop the pole rap a scrim round brush and wipe the top part of the fraim and top rubber drop brush down take scrim off then go bk up andclean just glass making shore the water dont tuch the top sill

I scrub them with a dash of virosol on the brush

Rinse the top frame and do the glass all in one on new cleans nowadays

Then go back and scrub and rinse like a maintenance clean after

Not long after but i would do the whole front with virosol and good scrub but no proper rinse (mainly just because the top frame etc will drip down so rinsing is a waste

Then start again at the first window and do in the same order like a normal clean

Will come out perfect every time

i usly scrub and rince as normal then shake the brush dry takes a second press the brush hard on the top fraim wipe the drips off the top bit of the fraim then press hard on the glass so the bristels just tuch the top sill to take any beads that r about the run down the glass the hole thing takes seconds some times on realy bad ones ill drop the pole rap a scrim round brush and wipe the top part of the fraim and top rubber drop brush down take scrim off then go bk up andclean just glass making shore the water dont tuch the top sill
How do you cope with the real salty windows mate, I'm by the sea and I'm going to start using it on a few more down here

Back