Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

More unusual bits of kit.....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Alien Human

When I first started out I walked into a large block of flats to let a new customer know that I had arrived to clean her windows (as agreed)

She gave me a quick tour round showing me the windows that needed cleaning, I went back outside, set up and then had no frickin idea where her flat was as they all looked the same!.....so I had to buzz to get back & have another look.

I vowed never to make the same embarrassing mistake so when faced with those situations again I walk around the flat with some sticky notes and stick them to the top of the frames inside the flat windows.

Once I have cleaned them the first time it's easy to remember but this simple 'tool' helps me a lot with the first clean.....

Has anyone else got any simple, unusual, quirky tools that help with your jobs?

I've got one similar, only cleaned it once so far. I got him to stand at each window while I was cleaning. I think I might've cleaned some of the neighbours windows too :rofl:

i carry a rad roller frame in my van find it really useful to unbolt side gates.

long_arm_radiator_paint_roller_handle.jpg

Not really a tool as such, but I have one house with big automatic iron gates. I have to park the van on the road. On the second clean I forgot the code on the gate and was unable to get out. Never made that mistake again as I have written the code on the underside of the bay window sill with a Sharpie pen.:thumbsup:

On my 3ft trad pole I screwed in a big hook which allows me to each over gates & any bolts at the bottom I can get with my hook & slide it back.

Not really a tool as such, but I have one house with big automatic iron gates. I have to park the van on the road. On the second clean I forgot the code on the gate and was unable to get out. Never made that mistake again as I have written the code on the underside of the bay window sill with a Sharpie pen.:thumbsup:
I add gate codes as a second phone number for custy on my phone.

I keep a very small bungee in my trad pouch which is useful for all sorts. Wrap it round a scrim when you are trad poling for detailing. But the most common use is lashing the top of the ladder to stuff when its windy- like when you go up on a flat roof and have to leave your ladder, there are often things you can strap it to like guttering, hanging basket brackets, etc. Its not for life safety, its just to keep your ladder from blowing over and leaving you embarrassed at the top calling for help.

20.jpg

I add gate codes as a second phone number for custy on my phone.
Thats a very good idea mate. It was my phone that got me out of this bother. The gate code in question is the name of thier little dog which I remembered but the keypad only has numbers. Its was like texting on an old phone, but I couldnt remember which letters were which number, and you only get a few chances before it locks you in for a further 15mins. Google sorted it. I'll definitely do your little trick from now on.

Got a bungee permanently strapped to the top rungs of my ladder too TAP. And yes I've had a ladder blow over while I was on top of a higher than normal bay window :rolleyes:. It was a very large place that was used as a church for Egyptian Christians. There were usually only a couple of them at the place during the day. No mobile phone, getting dark and a roaring motorway next to the place and there was me shouting for help. Eventually some half baked looking geezer came out. Him trying to pick the ladders up was enough to make me fall off the bay in stitches. I used to take some stupid risks back then :confused:

Mentioned this one before on the forum but the business card holder stuck to the back door of my van saves me those extra minutes.

I get quite a few enquiries about window cleaning when I'm at work. If I think they are genuine, elderly,carrying shopping etc then I might walk over and get one out for them but I tend not to like stopping what I'm doing (especially when the pole is extended) so usually ask them to grab one from the holder. This soon sivs out the time wasters and often saves me a long conversation about the history of window cleaning, how clever WFP is, the weather, what they had for breakfast etc etc /emoticons/smile.png

If they really want a window cleaner then they do use the card to call or text at a later date.

Something like this:

OUTDOOR BUSINESS CARD HOLDER DISPENSER FOR SHOW CARS, VAN OR LORRY WINDOW FIXING

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back