Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Sholud Van Sign Writing Be Professional Or Simple

WCF

Help Support WCF:

What level of sign writing gets most business?

• Full Colour Body Wrap

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Cheap and Cheerful to give a low cost Image

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something In Between

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters
W

WWC

We as business owners all love to see our vehicles look very professional will well designed with very good looking sign writing, but it this the best image that we want to give to prospective customers?

I ask this because I have noticed that when I put out flyers, the ones that I do that looks simple and cheap, always out pull the nice, glossy, professional made ones that I have. I believe this is because the cheap ones make the customer think that I am going to be a cheap price, whereas the fancy printed ones make the prospective customer worry that I am going to quote them expensive. Generally, I go for semis and detached houses as well as starting to get into commercial work as opposed to terrace houses and terrace shops.

So, what do you think, show e be going for a very professional looking van, maybe one of the full body, full colour 'body wraps'. cheap, but to the point looking sign writing i.e. your name and a list of bullet points of what you clean, or something in between, with 2-3 colours, your name 'fancy' and your bullet points, or something else - please let us know what that something else is.

I am particularly interested in people that know what their customers think of their sign writing, or have changed and picked up more business.

all depends,

I have a really basic text only on my van,

2 years going on my own getting 2nd van on the road as we have just gone to busy for just me,

some people could spend thousands on van, signage etc, but cant clean a window,

people should learn to clean the best they can then the rest can just fall into place and can upgrade at a later date!

nothing is better than word of mouth

Whatever is on the van make it readable from a distance. How many vans do you see driving around and you can't make out what they do as the writing is all fancy.

Keep it simple, all the best companies do.

You need to think more about creating a brand rather than just looking at the van sign writing. It goes hand in hand.

On your travels see what sticks out to you and you will see what I mean. Check out the drivers of the vehicle too, see what they are wearing.

professional companies advertise who they are

Youve got a great point here and definately worth looking into, I was thinking the same when i first started i used basic white leaflets with black print on on cheap paper and got a fairly good response, towards the end of my second year i got some really nice good quality flyers made i posted around 3000 and got 2 jobs of them so i didnt bother with the other 2000, my van is somewere in between with a few pics and text in 3 different colours it does get noticed as when i talk to people they all know it but dont get to many jobs from it. Ive been recently thinking about getting a nice newish vivaro and putting a fairly simple yet smart design on it but like you said im worried that people might see a nice new van and think im exspensive and just pass me by.

Youve got a great point here and definately worth looking into

Indeed.

I personally have always liked the look of simple vans. If I can see the company name clearly and it's obvious what they do then I'm satisfied. I hate seeing vans that have a logo yet you don't knkw what they do.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Just to throw a spanner in the works I drive a white van that is not sign written and I don't wear a company branded uniform either.

Does that make me a cowboy? :Image13:

Just to throw a spanner in the works I drive a white van that is not sign written and I don't wear a company branded uniform either.

Does that make me a cowboy? :Image13:
No ones saying about if you dont have sign written vans and uniform that ure a cowboy, its more of can you look to professional? can having flash vans, equipment, leaflets and uniforms put people off. the fact that youve just said you dont have a sign written van and uniform yet you still do well proves that wwc's theory could be right. Are you likely to get more leads/enquires from a basic single colour leaflet than a full glossy leaflet? i personally got more people aproaching me when i first started when i just had my ladders and an estate car than i do now with a sign written van, whether that was due to the lack of window cleaners (less competition) at the time or just people thinking that im cheap and just doing it for a bit of beer money

Indeed jimbob I'm aware of a few that have come onto the seen and dissapered just as quick that had flash vans & kit.

Youve got a great point here and definately worth looking into, I was thinking the same when i first started i used basic white leaflets with black print on on cheap paper and got a fairly good response, towards the end of my second year i got some really nice good quality flyers made i posted around 3000 and got 2 jobs of them so i didnt bother with the other 2000, my van is somewere in between with a few pics and text in 3 different colours it does get noticed as when i talk to people they all know it but dont get to many jobs from it. Ive been recently thinking about getting a nice newish vivaro and putting a fairly simple yet smart design on it but like you said im worried that people might see a nice new van and think im exspensive and just pass me by.
I agree I built all my round up on leaflets that I did myself,

I think it all depends on the work you want to get. If you're happy with council estates and not so affluent areas an estate or she's of a van coupled with homegrown flyers will suffice but very affluent areas and big commercial work a swish company image is going to help. Maybe not always the case but those are my thoughts anyway.

Maybe that's why flash vans dissaper so quick around my way dodger as they must get pinched or something :Image13:

Got nick me written all over them for sure :Image3:

I think it all depends on the work you want to get. If you're happy with council estates and not so affluent areas an estate or she's of a van coupled with homegrown flyers will suffice but very affluent areas and big commercial work a swish company image is going to help. Maybe not always the case but those are my thoughts anyway.
i agree but i dont know about other parts of the country but round here big posh houses are few and far between and along with the commercial work everyone seems to want to go for it thinking its easy money but with such high competion the prices are getting lower, personally id rather have 10 £10 monthly jobs than 1 £100 commercial job.Big house's are great when they come but like many my bread and butter jobs are the 3 bed teracce and semi-detached house might be worth concentrating on what these sort of customers want rather than the few bigger ones just a thought

I could get a full body wrap on me van but the only problem is it would cost more than me van is worth. :Image16:

Smurfy u crack me up m8

I think tarting ur van up with some nice signwriting is essential, gives a good image. But everyoes going or different clients.

It can still be readable from a distance and look professional

Got to give them the impression you are hard up mate and glad of their business so when you hit them with a price they think they are doing you a big favour. Works for me...mind it does help being old aswell :Image13:

Reverse psychology and all that :Image3:

Smurfy u crack me up m8

I think tarting ur van up with some nice signwriting is essential, gives a good image. But everyoes going or different clients.

It can still be readable from a distance and look professional

Latest Posts

Back