Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Technique

WCF

Help Support WCF:

No matter how boring it is to watch and how poor the sound quality is, there is always something to be learnt from someone else's experiences.

Personally, even on the north sea coast his video is a bit overkill, however you have to account for the fact that he is a video amateur. You just have to compare his video to one made by Alex Gardiner.

The only windows we do in stages or steps are old sash windows with wooden frames and windows with 2 openers above a full window pane below. We usually do the tops first, let them drip down and then move onto the bottoms window pane later.

One house we do the top openers first, then do all the other houses in the street. We come back to that house 3 or 4 hours later and do the bottom panes. That's the only way we can get a streak free clean.

She had 3 or 4 window cleaners before us who used wfp, saw the issues and never went back.

No matter how boring it is to watch and how poor the sound quality is, there is always something to be learnt from someone else's experiences.
Personally, even on the north sea coast his video is a bit overkill, however you have to account for the fact that he is a video amateur. You just have to compare his video to one made by Alex Gardiner.

The only windows we do in stages or steps are old sash windows with wooden frames and windows with 2 openers above a full window pane below. We usually do the tops first, let them drip down and then move onto the bottoms window pane later.

One house we do the top openers first, then do all the other houses in the street. We come back to that house 3 or 4 hours later and do the bottom panes. That's the only way we can get a streak free clean.

She had 3 or 4 window cleaners before us who used wfp, saw the issues and never went back.

hmmm interesting, is that because the wood absorbs the moisture and then it drips later?

He's got some points , but must be a little quicker in real life , I'm a bit OCD typish myself,and must tell myself daily that if I done it right ,I got to rinse in a quicker pace and walk away ,and feel good about it. The thing is that we ( most of us ) are way more self-critical than the average custy. And I tend to spend way too much time rinsing . I've stopped that now.

hmmm interesting, is that because the wood absorbs the moisture and then it drips later?
Usually its the paint that causes the issues. As it gets old it oxidises and flakes trapping dirt. Droplets of water leach this from the paint and then contaminate the clean glass when they drip.

The other issue with old sash windows is that the upper frame overlaps the lower frame. Sometimes the gap is narrow and you can't get a brush in there to clean properly. The other issue is that the gap isn't usually water resistant so water gets inside and creates more of a mess if you try to flush muck out.

Thankfully we don't have many wooden sash windows left on the round and the ones that we do have, have got better over time.

what about cold vs hot wash, is there a big difference in performance?

Does a van mounted pump have a higher psi than the backback?

Do you use any additives in the water for a better shine?

It depends what pump you buy

A gardiners backpack has a 100psi pump

A sureflow/aquajet is a 100psi pump but the sureflow/aquajet is a better made reliable pump for the job

what about cold vs hot wash, is there a big difference in performance?Does a van mounted pump have a higher psi than the backback?

What about cold vs hot wash, is there a big difference in performance?

I haven't got hot so I don't have any experience between the 2. I do have a diesel heater which needs to be assembled and a control panel made but haven't done it yet. In the early wfp days the hoses got very stiff with cold winter water. I just wanted enough warmth in the water to keep the hoses supple. Over time the manufacturers have improved their hoses so warm water isn't a priority at the moment as it was 10 years ago.

Suppliers of heaters will say it makes a difference - you wouldn't wash your dishes in cold water would you is a popular one. I heard so many claims with regard to poles, brushes etc. I'm not easily convinced by salesman's talk. A local cleaner had hot water powered by gas but has taken it out of his van now. He is considering a heater element in his storage tank.

He says that if you really believe it makes a difference then it does.

Does a van mounted pump have a higher psi than the backpack?

Usually yes. I haven't looked at the pump on our Gardiner backpack, but the other 2 backpacks we have used have been 60psi. A backpack pump doesn't have to work as hard as a van mount due to the short hose. Its smaller and uses less power, so the battery can be smaller and lighter. Originally our Shurflo pumps were 65psi for van mount. In those days we used 1/2" garden hose. When hoses decreased in size Shurflo upped the psi to 100. All the parts were the same so I think it was a pressure switch upgrade.

No. Occasionally I put a drop of fairy liquid in the tank if we are doing windows full of sea spray. Does it make a difference? Not sure tbh. If we have a really dirty window I may put a cleaner directly on the brush head and give the window a scrub.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 70m of microbore and 30m of pole hose connected to my gardiners backpack and it doesn't miss a beat

what about cold vs hot wash, is there a big difference in performance?Does a van mounted pump have a higher psi than the backback?

Just started hot Now ! Def impressed , the dirt just melts off easier , most van guys use 100psi , me included , know a guy that uses 150 psi for a one man operation , its rediciously high !!

Just started hot Now ! Def impressed , the dirt just melts off easier , most van guys use 100psi , me included , know a guy that uses 150 psi for a one man operation , its rediciously high !!

60 psi for the Gardiner Backpack. However there must be the odd time when it is difficult to get parking space, and the gardiner backpack would save the day

Is it really expensive for the hot system?

Having used cold water for 10 years and now having hot for the last 2 years yes there is a big difference in cleaning power , bird muck , sea salt , fly dirt etc all come off a lot easier with hot , also the hose is a lot more manageable on cold days . Is it cheap to run ? No it isn't I've got a 9kw diesel heater it is supost to use about 1.1 Ltr per hour times that by 40 hours a week and you can work out the cost for yourself , would I go back to using cold , no not a chance , is it essential to have hot no but it makes the working day more enjoyable

No definitely not ! My heater (gas) costs around 140 pounds in my country. And of course a couple of garden hoses and fittings . And a bottle of gas. 200 pounds tops ! Guessing I would use a bottle a month !

Is it really expensive for the hot system?[/QUOT

S

Having used cold water for 10 years and now having hot for the last 2 years yes there is a big difference in cleaning power , bird muck , sea salt , fly dirt etc all come off a lot easier with hot , also the hose is a lot more manageable on cold days . Is it cheap to run ? No it isn't I've got a 9kw diesel heater it is supost to use about 1.1 Ltr per hour times that by 40 hours a week and you can work out the cost for yourself , would I go back to using cold , no not a chance , is it essential to have hot no but it makes the working day more enjoyable
Sounds like the gas heater is way more economic. Most guys I know use 1 max 2 a month. 11liters bottle.

I've used hot water during the winter for the last six years. I enjoy using it during the cold weather but can honestly say that for me the benefits are not worth the cost during the rest of the year. However, I clean residential only and am not near the coast so perhaps the kind of dirt I'm removing doesn't require it. I couldn't work any faster than I do without burning out so hot water certainly wouldn't make me work faster. Cold, without any additive does it for me for maintenance cleans for the rest of the year. I sometimes add Viro-sol to my brush on first cleans if it needs it.

Back