Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Unsure about ladders to get

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JohnSMR

I dont know what im doing most of the time
Hi all,/emoticons/smile.png

I'm starting up window cleaning from next month! I've got all the equipment apart from ladders! I'm unsure about what size ladders to get. I dont have a car so i'll be walking around with them. I've been looking at Lyte Trade Ladders, specifically these two:

Lyte Trade ELT230 Double Extension Ladder 10 Rungs Max. Height 4.88m

OR

Lyte Trade ELT235 Double Extension Ladder 12 Rungs Max. Height 5.94m

Im leaning towards the ELT230 but im sacred incase i need to get a taller set of ladders. Any advice? :confused:

ELT 230 is what i use as main day to day ladders . but if you plan on doing gutters youd need the 235 definitely. the 230 wont reach in most cases

Welcome johnSMR .You won't go far wrong with the Lyte trade ladders .my advice is to get some articulated feet for the bottom and some ladder mits for the top .

Stay safe and dont over reach or climb the ladder if its not level or on good firm ground.

Just got the Lyte ELT 230 myself from Midland ladders , perfect for me at the moment. Quick delivery and good price.

Thanks for the help guys. I've ordered some Lyte ELT 230 ladders as im not planning on doing gutters so hopefully they'll be fine for me. I'm starting out on a tight budget so its cheaper aswell for me! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

my advice is to get some articulated feet for the bottom and some ladder mits for the top .
Thanks! I didnt think of this! :rolleyes:

or 10 rung trebles and leave extra section at home when not required?
That's what i did with my 8.5 metre triples

Only problem if doing that is trebles are heavier per section than the same size sections from doubles

I didn't believe it until boarcity pointed it out so i investigated

That's what i did with my 8.5 metre triplesOnly problem if doing that is trebles are heavier per section than the same size sections from doubles

I didn't believe it until boarcity pointed it out so i investigated
never even thought of that thats a good point to think about if you are carrying your ladder all day

tip- when u get your Lytes brand new spend a half hour with a small file rounding off the sharp edges . this is time well spent as the edges can be so sharp theyll hurt you and possibbly cut you

:rofl: ladders ordered already good luck JohnSMR

stay safe :thumbsup:

bears can be slow:rolleyes:

tip- when u get your Lytes brand new spend a half hour with a small file rounding off the sharp edges . this is time well spent as the edges can be so sharp theyll hurt you and possibbly cut you
I'll do this. I'm very prone to being injured/cut by things that arent really meant to injure or cut! o_O:D I'm very glad i joined here, i've learned so much just from reading and now im being told more useful stuff! thanks!

:rofl: ladders ordered already good luck JohnSMRstay safe :thumbsup:

bears can be slow:rolleyes:
Thanks very much! I'm looking forward to starting!/emoticons/biggrin.png:D

Welcome johnSMR .You won't go far wrong with the Lyte trade ladders .my advice is to get some articulated feet for the bottom and some ladder mits for the top .Stay safe and dont over reach or climb the ladder if its not level or on good firm ground.
How good are articulated feet?

I need new ladders but am unsure whether I would like them. Do they flap around slot while you are moving the ladder? And how do you dig the bottom of your ladder into grass or chuckies?

Also. Anyone heard of clow ladders? they are rather expensive. Here is a link to them.

http://www.ladders-direct.com/acatalog/aluminium-extension-ladder-class-1-push-up-operation.html

iv seen [but not used] clow ladders and they look to be Very well engineered with 1 rung more per length than the norm. whether that makes the job easier i.e. climbing 8 rungs with a small gap rather than 7 with a bigger gap lord knows but in theory it just might .

i would never use a ladder with rubber feet of any type. i learned the hard way that rubber should never be used outdoors as it has no grip on damp or dusty ground [fell using rubber laddermats] and ladders usually come with hard plastic feet as the norm probably for that very reason

What ever ladders you buy make sure they are not too heavy. You will be moving them around a lot. The lyte ladders are not the lightest on the market but a good balance between weight and strength. Also look for a ladder with D rungs . Better on your feet.

I use the articulated feet with rubber studs on they do not rattle at all and have had no problems with them slipping.

Abru 10 rung b&q ladders, light as a feather and d shaped rungs make it perfect, there cheap as well

iv seen [but not used] clow ladders and they look to be Very well engineered with 1 rung more per length than the norm. whether that makes the job easier i.e. climbing 8 rungs with a small gap rather than 7 with a bigger gap lord knows but in theory it just might .i would never use a ladder with rubber feet of any type. i learned the hard way that rubber should never be used outdoors as it has no grip on damp or dusty ground [fell using rubber laddermats] and ladders usually come with hard plastic feet as the norm probably for that very reason
What do you use? Spikes? If so where do you get them?

I currently use spikes on wooden ladders I got from Bradford ladders. I do like spikes but most other window cleaners seem to manage with feet okay.

What I've heard with clow ladders is that the rung spacing is smaller so that Each rung sits nicely under your knee cap.

I once used youngman ladders and those would sit directly on my knee cap. After a full days work it became pretty annoying.

View attachment 5511

What do you use? Spikes? If so where do you get them?
I currently use spikes on wooden ladders I got from Bradford ladders. I do like spikes but most other window cleaners seem to manage with feet okay.

What I've heard with clow ladders is that the rung spacing is smaller so that Each rung sits nicely under your knee cap.

I once used youngman ladders and those would sit directly on my knee cap. After a full days work it became pretty annoying.
i do use spikes yes. i got mine a few yrs ago from ebay, they are Hailo make

ages ago on the forums i saw a photo of really good spikes a guy had made .they were simply a 6 inch x 1 inch strip of hardened steel chisel pointed tip -with 2 holes drilled in to bolt them on. because they were hardened steel they never wore out ,never got blunt and i think his were many yrs old but still almost like new

Last edited:
the clow ladders are just ok.. but wear out very quickly. the feet need replaced often too as they don't have much thickness.

Back