upright or flat?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by rafawindowcleaning, Mar 23, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. rafawindowcleaning

rafawindowcleaning Well-Known Member

Hi

Soon will be getting a scull wanted a 500l tank in it but can't decide flat or upright? Pros and cons? Cheers

Advertisement
  2. rafawindowcleaning

Not a scull but a scudo

3. Alex Gardiner

Alex Gardiner Forum Addict
    Supplier

The upright version would give you a higher centre of gravity so the van would be less stable whilst cornering or braking. The flat version would be more inherently stable in the vehicle when full, however if using a large flat tank such as this it would be worth considering adding extra baffling tubes to reduce the wave effect when the tank is partially empty.

4. spruce

spruce Grand Master

added to what Alex says:

The flat tank has a larger footprint and if you are parked 'the wrong way' on a hill you can be end up sucking air if you are low on water.

Years back a fellow windie had identical 2 vans, one with a upright 400 liter tank and the other with a 400 liter flat tank. He had no end of pumping issues with the flat tank. He would never fit another van with a flat tank for this reason.

We live in an area where some of our residential work is on steep hills.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. rafawindowcleaning

Seems like upright it is then :)

6. bluewater

bluewater Newcomer

Hi guys I have installed a 400 litre and 350 litre flat tank in my van, they are joined together. I must say I have had no issues with my pumps. I would personally highly recommend a flat tank because the vehicle will handle much better. Ive designed mine with flat tanks aswell so I still have alot of space in the van. image.jpg

image.jpg

7. ♠Winp®oClean♠

♠Winp®oClean♠ Forum Addict

The "flat" version of the 500ltr Wydale wfp tanks are actually more "cube" shaped- which gives you the best of both worlds & the reason I chose it for my Dispatch. Look online at the dimensions, don't ask me why but this seems only the case for the 500ltr version.

8. SPCleaning

SPCleaning Guru

I like that bluewater

I too use a flat tank and have had no issues with it.

9. bluewater

bluewater Newcomer

thanks jp.

Perhaps something else that helps me avoid problems with sucking air in is my pumps are mounted at the lowest point in the van (in the side door step). That way water will usually always fall towards the pumps when on flat ground. If you have a lot of hils in your area mount the pumps at the one end of the tank so that when the you park the van on the hill, the water will fall towards the pumps. Obviously you will have to work the steet in the right direction so water falls the right way.

I myself live in the valleys of south wales so theres quite a few hills up this way, but never been a problem for me.

10. bluewater

bluewater Newcomer

sorry not jp thanks sp

Advertisement