Urgent- white stuff on chimney powerwashing doesn't help

Discussion in 'Pressure Washing' started by sdrah, Jun 4, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. sdrah

sdrah Guest

Hi - as per title I have to clean a chimney tomorrow however not sure how and what to use to clean it .... All around has a WHITE STUFF on bricks which looks similar to salt - very hard and in some places 1/4 of inch think .

I tried a turbo nozzle at about 2800 psi and it doesn't help - nothing at all - the customer said that many years ago it was the chimney of an oil burner ?! now not in use .. I forgot to take a photo ....
    Tomorrow I have to finish to clean his roof and it will brilliant if I can leave the chimney clean too . may be somehow to use a sander ?! : ) or a chisel however there are few damaged bricks and I assume somebody already tried ...

any ideas ?!

Advertisement
  2. mr shine

mr shine Guru

im told this that this stuff works , its available from stonecareuk.co.uk , its called a colour enhancing impreginator , its pricey 1 litre is 20 quid , i also read that a penetrating sealer should be applied to stop it coming back but that stuff that stonecare supplies claims to contain a sealer . maybe someone else will know more about it

3. M-CLEAN UK LTD

Did you take any pictures?

Rob

4. M-CLEAN UK LTD

Just re read it - no

Rob

5. sdrah

sdrah Guest

probably is efflorescence it looks very similar to the photo below but worse

[​IMG]

6. M-CLEAN UK LTD

I would say that it is calcified efforvescence. Basically a large build up that has developed through damp conditions.

It is extremely difficult to get off, my machines will take a lot of it off but no guarantee of removal.

High strength brick acid, not the stuff from B & Q

Rob

7. M-CLEAN UK LTD

You'll find you can chip away at it and once it starts coming off it is brittle

Rob

Advertisement