Use Magnets To Stop Calcium Spoting?

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by H MAN, Dec 2, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. H MAN

H MAN Forum Addict

Has any body tried putting magnets on there water lines?

Have read that it helps to reduce calcium and lime build up in water pipes.

Could this also be used before the water goes through your RO/DI, Carbon and Settlement filters?

Would this reduce the likelihood calcium droplets forming on the glass after drying?

Do you think there is any benefit doing this at all?

Advertisement
  2. All Round Cleaning

All Round Cleaning Grand Master

To be honest if your using RO and then a DI after you shouldn't have any calcium deposits in there anyway .

3. H MAN

H MAN Forum Addict

Yes that is true.

The thing is that when your TDS is about 10PPM or when your get the calcium spotting on the glass you change the Di material.

It might be interesting to see if you still get calcium spotting if you had a magnet in line or even after the filters.

As most of the time it is the calcium that causes the problems.

4. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

We have one fitted in our house, we have less limescale in the kettle but I'm not to convinced about them really,

5. david247

david247 Banned

you shouldnt be having none are you shore that your cleaning the window properly.
    if you having calcium or white bits on the window its time to change the ressin and replace your TDS meter becouse its inacrete.

the sediment filters before the membrain should get rid of calcium any ways say if your tds reading is 250 then the RO should get the tds down to 100 the your di should reduce down to 001 or for me 000 :p

just one question when was the last time you change the filters and ressin.

6. All Round Cleaning

All Round Cleaning Grand Master

In my house we have 2 on the boiler one on the way into the system and one on the way out of the system .

The 2nd one we can take the magnet out and empty it . Now I noticed last time the plumber emptied it it was full of iron deposits
    But I didn't notice any lime scale ? I don't know I'm not a scientist I'm a window cleaner .

7. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Got magnets fitted on the gas & water inlet pipes to the boiler but have know Idea what difference it makes. Sounds like a load of mumbo jumbo if you ask me :D

8. Gmeister

Gmeister Grand Master

As Gav says it would work to take out iron deposits....

so unless limescale and calcium has iron in it(steel or anything that has a magnetic property) then it wont work!

People use those magnetic necklaces to improve there blood flow and less chance of having a head ace for the same reason.

But it could be all in the head!

9. spruce

spruce Grand Master

Shall we correct this.

Firstly the sediment filter is to remove dirt from the water. Most sediment filters are 5 micron.

Sediment filters do NOT remove calcium from the water. The R/O membranes are designed to remove these dissolved solids from the water.

If your r/o is reducing the tds from 250 to 100 then your membranes are shot. Using your example your membranes efficiency is only 60%. They should be operating at about 98% efficiency leaving a tds of 5 which will be polished off by your resin. If you own a Merlin, then they run at at 90% leaving a tds of 25 - awful.

10. david247

david247 Banned

im talking about the build up in the pipes not a dissolved solids i aint that stupid.

i must have done something wrong my tds reading was going up and down with the RO

Advertisement