Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Ban use of water fed pole

Hinty

We come under Veolia as our water supplier, who have said that they are banning use of their water for WFP, but are giving us until the 4th July to make other arrangements.

While there is still a chance of a turn around, I have decided to set up rainwater harvesting (4 x 1000L IBC tanks), which I will fill using normal RO/DI to set me up - which is fine as long as this is done before 4th July.

Called Veolia today - to clarify whether this ban includes Trolley systems as well as van mount systems - was told yes.

Anyway - long story short, I was told that it is not just Veolia that are reviewing their policy on the 4th July -it is ALL water companies - and we may well find that other areas decide to ban WFP too!

Wanted to give you guys the heads up - if you already have a hose pipe ban it may be worth stock piling a little water, and checking with your own company that this is the case.

Apparently there is no problem going out of the area to fill up - as long as you go to somewhere with a plentiful supply - but in reality if this means extra fuel, time, and mad amounts of resin (as wont have time to use RO) then may not be a viable alternative.

I had been looking to try and get a hydrant license in the Thames water are (we are only 3 miles out of their area) but have been told that my use is not covered, and they will possibly be doing the same as Veolia.

If anyone has an existing Rainwater harvesting system set up - would love to see a few pics to make sure my planned setup is headed the right way.

Hopefully this will all blow over - but I can't afford to wait until 4th July to be told that over***ht I am out of action.

Being balanced, we have started doing downstairs traditionally - not to give wrong impression to customers, and to feel that we are doing the "right thing", and it is amazing how much less we use - but still use it for all upstairs, and leaded (pure laziness)

Does anyone know any more/better?

It's pathetic. All the rain we get. Every proxy summer is Swear word!. So how do they expect you to make a living? They do not give a s@@t. It cheeses me off that they can just do this and that's it. They don't give a toss about anybody. I'm trad but feel for you guys. Be interesting to see what happens with all the car washes. It's also a good idea if you can't do trad to start learning now. That's my rant lol

how exactly is the water company going to police this? I cant see anyone paying attention to this unless there are serious repercussions. Personally I if I was WFP and they were saying I could use there water for cleaning, I would drain the rivers myself.

its wrong big time if thay do ever bring it in

we get plenty of water where does it all go

i never have a bath (dirty i am) na i always shower which is suppose to save about 80% of the water a bath would use do i get anything for that ? 80% discount in my bill nooooooooooooo i do not so what thay going to do stop me haveing a bath if water is tight if i want noooooooooooooooooooooo

i pay my bill i do what i want with my water i pay for dont worry guys collecting rain water is a good idea tho imo i may do this now come the winter it be full in a day tho lol

you will need to pre filter the water that goes into the harvest tank to reduce sediment etc.. i know this seems obvious. the surface of the roof can be important too. my dads house has new slate roof and the water coming off it has a tds reading of 006!!! whereas my house has a moss coverd ****ty tile roof and the sediment is crazy.. my dad harvests thousands of litres and uses the water in the house after passing a series of pre filters ( he doesnt use it for consumption mind you) if you need any help with how to get it from gutter to tank , design a filter etc etc just ask i will help you if i can. also if you are using industrial 1000l tanks outside remember they are slightly transparent and grow algae inside so covering them is also a good idea or photosynthesis will occur haha. you can burry large tanks that are available and use electric pumps to transfer out water.... bit of hard work putting them in but long term savings can be made...

and for anyone doubting how quickly a 5000l tank fills up i have seen one fill in an afternoon.

hi dave, have'nt gone on to harvesting yet, but folk like jeff brimble say the simpler the better, as far as i can figure, he catches his by letting it run down some gutter channels into the storage, and filters the bits out with the foam stuff from aquariums. but someone had another idea yesterday which i plan to try one day, and could'nt get much simpler, get an empty pop bottle, cut the bottom off, sponge at the nozzle, fill with resin, sponge at the top, put it between the drainpipe and water butt and the waters purified without pumping through ro!

hope it goes well bud

If you pay your bill for the services you get and they take one of these services off (hosepipe) you should get money off your bill. Would you go to a custy and say I'm putting your money up but taking away cleaning your conny. I'm sure they'd love you. Me personally if I was wfp I'd carry on. You have to make a living.

I feel for you guys in this situation, must be a constant worry.

I think that as well as the lack of rain, the ever expanding population placing much greater demands on the available water is also a major issue.

Maybe you could get a group of windy's together to pool resources?. If you could get a garage or warehouse (or even a big garden) with a heap of ibc tanks and hire a tanker or something to get water?. Rainwater harvesting is certainly a good idea if you have the means, but you need the rain in order to harvest it!.

Thanks for advice guys.

Planning to use mesh at top of gutter to stop moss, then fine mesh at accessible height, then sponge, and into small holding tank - with a float switch that will pump into IBC when full - through Dai vessel.

Tried a test with how quickly gravity pushes water through a resin canister and found it a bit slow.

To stop algae I am using black IBC,s, and will put them in a corner of the garden, padded with 2" polystyrene and enclosed with fence panels.

Or at least that,s the plan - but it may change.

Also like the idea of using two lengths of drain pipe with a U bend at the bottom to form a gravity filter - any bits should be held at the bottom.

sounds like you got it sussed mate, iv used a cheap toilet sistern as a gravity filter , seems to do the trick.

tbf the ban doesnt stop you from making a living, it stops the use of wfp, how about get a set of ladders off the van and use some tools, i dont see what the issue is, especially if its only going to be a short term ban?

if you cant think of anything worse than cleaning trad then harvesting rain/recycled water is your only option, you can ignore the ban, but in every street is 1 old lady/man that loves phoning the authorities and dropping you in it, you know the type! personally i wouldnt risk the massive fines

See your point GM - but no way I am going to clean some of my commercial contracts - 4 floors, or some of my London town houses - 3 very tall floors, plus basement - with wrought iron rails getting in way of ladders.

I've done 12yrs on ladders before pole - so that doesnt bother me, but the time factor would mean that there is no way I could get round all my work Trad, so big drop in earnings, and potential loss of customers.

Hence rainwater harvesting, and blading downs.

yh i appreciate its not viable for some but alot of wfp cleaners only do domestic 2storey properties and would manage for the short term, like i say if its not viable then harvesting is the way forward but sounds like you've got all bases covered

I had a long chat with a guy from southern water about this and in short if you fill from home and its for your business legally you can not be stopped as it will affect your business plus I do not have any water that is returned to a sewer which is a real bonus.

The only way as I understand it that will stop you is if you are cut off and the street is on stand pipes. The amount of rain we have had this last week and what is forecast I wouldn't worry. Regards Steve.

bad advice. most water companies are of the view that your business can survive, which is why they are giving wfp cleaners until july to find alternative methods of either cleaning or harvesting. plus you pay water rates based on calculations of how much water you will use for domestic activities, not business activities, so legally, they can stop you.

bad advice. most water companies are of the view that your business can survive, which is why they are giving wfp cleaners until july to find alternative methods of either cleaning or harvesting. plus you pay water rates based on calculations of how much water you will use for domestic activities, not business activities, so legally, they can stop you.
The guy was a inspector not customer service. We have not even a hose pipe ban.I know of only one water company that has mentioned WFP but has the BWCA has got involved they climbed down on H/S Grounds. Still a long way to go. Regards

Back