Using Ladders In Public Area's?

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by Alien Human, Mar 18, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Alien Human

Been asked to clean the glass above mothercare

Is getting my set of tall ladders out to do it trad (or WFP I suppose) a big no no due to health and safety etc?

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. mark

mark Forum Addict

I would suggest it would be there insurance that covers this not yours!!!ask mothercare how to proceed and leave the ball as it were in there court

3. Alien Human

Don't think they give a monkeys mate.

I'm not usually this concerned but........

There's recently been an incident down here where Worthing Council took Worthing Council to court due to ladder use in public. So a H&S officer ticketed and fined council workers while they were carrying out repairs.

4. Markyboy 50

Just crack it out at 6 in the morn. Health and safety don't start til 7.30am :D

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  5. High-tower

High-tower Active Member

Id just do it early doors. if you can't/won't, you will want to cordon the area off to the public, appropriate signage and somebody to foot the ladder if trad'ing it.

6. Green Pro Clean Ltd

I am unaware of any law preventing use of a ladder in a public place. Road cones and caution tape to close of your working area. Preferably an assistant in Hhi-viz to keep numpties at bay.

Does not look like a massive job, could you not do a silly o'clock before opening to reduce hazards.?

7. boarcity

boarcity Guest

#7 boarcity, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2016
    you want a helper with you at base of ladder. be sure the helper knows he must stay there AND can push away ,or rabbit punch, anyone who looks like theyre hell bent on hitting the ladder . lash out if the verbals dont work

I Recently dropped all my high street ladderwork as i absolutely knew someone on a mobility scooter or someone who wouldnt take their meds would have eventually hit the ladder,faking an accident- "oops im sorry"to give their life more excitement . i had a few near misses

8. Alien Human

I reckon an early start is the way forward but it's gonna have to be early early.......

I'm in Brighton - jobs in Harrow (1.45hrs each way)........long story.

9. WWC

WWC Well-Known Member

Like others have said. ..
    Do it early morning if possible, have someone footing the ladder at all times, use cones (and I personally would use tape on the cones as well) to cordon off the area.

I did one the other morning with only cones, but it was early on an quiet back street. I cordon off busier streets - experience has told me it's a really good idea to do that.

10. Markyboy 50

I had 2 houses to clean on Thursday for a fairly big building company. They're strict on health and safety ( or what we used to call common sense in the old days) stickers on glass. A stick on film on the frames. 10 windows up and 10 down. Got there at about 6 and had the tops done before any of the workers arrived. All done by 8. No one asked how I done it. What the eye don't see.......

Advertisement