Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Using pure water filter system in a Flat

WCF

Help Support WCF:

rafterys2003

Hi

I'm currently looking at buying a flat to live in however I'm not sure how having an RO water system filling in there all day would work ? If I leave my RO system filling a tank in there all day it would cause condensation and ruin the flat apparently. Also I couldn't really fill the tank in my vehicle in the morning from the 1st floor or upwards. So I was just wondering if anyone here lives in a flat and if so how do you filter/fill your water ?

Any suggestions appreciated as always thanks guys.

Be careful as the flats floor wont have been designed to hold massive weight in a small area. You will get condensation on the outside of a tank as it will make the tank exterior surface below the dew point so any warm air that comes into contact with the tank will cause condensation - a dehumidifier could help.

Can't you process in the van? i.e. have a hose pipe out of flat window and then it plugged into RO/DI in the van. You might need an extension cable to charge battery and run booster if necessary?

Be careful as the flats floor wont have been designed to hold massive weight in a small area. You will get condensation on the outside of a tank as it will make the tank exterior surface below the dew point so any warm air that comes into contact with the tank will cause condensation - a dehumidifier could help.

Can't you process in the van? i.e. have a hose pipe out of flat window and then it plugged into RO/DI in the van. You might need an extension cable to charge battery and run booster if necessary?
My Tank fills all day and night though...so how would I fill if I'd taken the van out to work? Also a pipe out of the window would only work with a ground floor flat but what about higher floor ones ?

I don't know what RO you are using but a 4040 with decent pressure/a booster should be able to produce 150 to 200 lts an hour. So a hose out of a first floor window for a few hrs an evening might be OK? Not sure about in very cold weather though!

I don't know what RO you are using but a 4040 with decent pressure/a booster should be able to produce 150 to 200 lts an hour. So a hose out of a first floor window for a few hrs an evening might be OK? Not sure about in very cold weather though!
I use a 450GPD RO system from Collins water products. It takes like 12 hours to get like 300 litres. Don't know what system you're using to get 200 litres per hour but that's unbelievable.

Where are you based?
Ie are you near any spotless water place?
If you’re close to one so reducing the travel too and from then you’re only cost is the water. And that can be priced into your day.
I’ve used them before and yes it’s more expensive than producing yourself but it’s convenient and certainly gets you out of a hole with being in a flat.
Never liked the idea of hoses/extension leads out of flat windows but I suppose it all comes down to where your flat is situated in the block etc

I use a 450GPD RO system from Collins water products. It takes like 12 hours to get like 300 litres. Don't know what system you're using to get 200 litres per hour but that's unbelievable.
Hi, Bud i Use RO 40/40 on a 350ltr in van from hose tap on back takes approx 3/4hrs to fill from say quart of tank left as i don't really run out of water in tank i just don't use it all. is there a storage area space that you could purify water just need to get winter ready.

Hi

I'm currently looking at buying a flat to live in however I'm not sure how having an RO water system filling in there all day would work ? If I leave my RO system filling a tank in there all day it would cause condensation and ruin the flat apparently. Also I couldn't really fill the tank in my vehicle in the morning from the 1st floor or upwards. So I was just wondering if anyone here lives in a flat and if so how do you filter/fill your water ?

It would be far better if you had a family member were you could set up your static system, or the best option is to buy a house, not a flat it might be further out from your preferred location area but it will be far less hassle as you don't want to be doing business related stuff across shared or public land as some nosey busybody will at some point cause trouble for you shop you into the waterboard if there is a resident's association etc as some people can be a real p.i.a

When you have a house that is your own no one can complain or cause issues for you as you can do what you want on your own property, but despite this years ago we had shared access via an old access track to the back of our house as did the 2 others neighbours we were in a block of 3 old terraced houses when I switched to wfp over time this became an issue for one neighbour as they blocked off the bottom end and started parking their car outside the back of their house,

because I needed to park up and fill up for a certain period of time of about 10 minutes every day over the years really started peeing off the neighbours' wife of which we had no idea until they started being awkward and coming across as annoyed, they felt like they had more right than us to access across land which they didn't even own yet they had no issue with there 4 cars and trailer tent parking and blocking access out of our back gate after crossed words over a long period of time I got beat up and ended up in an ambulance and we had to move.

I'm using a 4040 RO (4 inches in diameter 40inches long) and a booster pump. It's all mounted in my van, so I plug in hose and a waste and connect up mains electricity and away it goes. 200lts per hour was probably a bit optimistic more like 150lts/hr.
Have a look at Daqua - unfortunately no picys as just updated their site.
Here is an example of a 4040 RO/DI system mounted to a tank in a van: (I'm not saying this is the one you should use just an example.)

1667740835977.png

Another issue I see is water usage. If the flat is supplied by a single water meter and the water bill is shared among the residents in some form, then it won't be very long before all hell breaks out. Even if the flats aren't on a water meter, what happens if that changes?

The other problem I see is keeping the inside of the van frost free during winter so as not to damage your r/o.

I honestly believe that there are far too many cons (and not many pros) to living in a flat and processing water to use as a window cleaner.

There is someone in our area who has an authorized standpipe with a water meter on it. Unfortunately it means he has to park along side it in the street to fill his tank. Obviously processing water through an R/O will take much longer.

And as other have said; Spotless Water in another option.

Last edited:
Or you could use a DI depending on your water hardness. Make the water while you are there so you dont have any accidents i.e. flooding.

Talked yourself out of that before you started lol. Ok I can see this will not work. Try asking someone close by to where you live and offer them cash each month for water.
Hi

If your flat has ground floor shed/garage with a water tap then you can produce the RO water. But I cannot see you being able to make the RO water in your flat and then pump the water to your van. You would need to reinforce your floors to be able to have a collection water tank. A bath holds about 80 litres of water, you would probably want at least a 350 litre water collection tank for a days work which is a big weight on your floor.

My tap TDS is like 270ppm. Yeah doesn't look like it's gonna be a viable option does it. There was a flat with a garage across from it I was looking at but I wouldn't be able to put a tap in it would I if it's not connected to the actual flat.

Back