Van mount, turning water on and off.

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Diwrnach, Nov 20, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Diwrnach

Diwrnach Grand Master

So thinking about in the future making my own van mount, and its all fairly straight forward, apart from how do you turn the flow up/down and on/off while not at the back of the van?

Had a look on ebay and found some gizmos that are the same as you lock your car with, like a key ring button, but that obviously won't change the flow, and also if you are the opposite side of the house won't work anyway.

So how do you do it?

Advertisement
  2. Matty H

Matty H Forum Addict

Why do you want to change flow?

3. cheapncheerful

yep my flow has always been on minimum....although i sometimes...linger longer...

4. Diwrnach

Diwrnach Grand Master

If I am doing 3 story I will often give it a little bit more for the third story, not sure I need to though, but always do.

5. Diwrnach

Diwrnach Grand Master

And yeah cnc I always have that back pack on the lowest setting.

6. Matty H

Matty H Forum Addict

Never ever change flow rate mate. Just turn it on to around 80% as I run 6mm microbore & do the windows & turn it off again lol

7. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#7 spruce, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    A tap on the hose near to the pole is one way. An Aquadapter or Aquatap at the end on the pole is another way.

I haven't used an Aquatap, but the manufacturer has suggested that you can vary the flow easily. The Aquatap works on the principle of turning the pole to switch the water on and turning (rotating) the pole the other way switches it off. You could restrict the water flow by partially rotating the pole.

8. ♠Winp®oClean♠

♠Winp®oClean♠ Forum Addict

An electronic controller + stop-end/aquadapter etc etc. Personally I just have a water stop connector on the end of my microbore, when I want to stop the flow I just disconnect the hose. The controller takes care of everything else like pressure & flow rate, it also compensates for different working heights, making micro pressure adjustments in real time so that the flow remains at a consistent pre-set rate regardless of the height you're working at. If you have no electronic flow control you will probably notice a drop in flow rate the higher your pole goes?

9. WWC

WWC Well-Known Member

Most people just have one flow rate. Unless you have a really low pressure pump, you have no need to increase the flow on a 3 storey building. Even a 70psi pump will do 3 storeys no problem even with a 100m extension hose.

Note: pressure and flow rate are not the same. Pressure is what you need to go up multiple storeys.

There is a flow controller that has 2 buttons - on/off and boost for rinsing. That will give you extra if you want it, though remember more water can cause splashing and spotting if not managed properly.

There is another option of adding another pump inline with a remote on/off. Though it just adds more water, pressure and expense without precise control.

I have an aqua tap, and it isn't a viable option for what you want in my opinion.

10. spruce

spruce Grand Master

We use Aqua dapters. My son uses a backpack and I see he has turned his water flow up a little. What he does is quickly wash over the window to wet it, switches his aqua dapter off, scrubs the window and then rinses. (Aqua dapters are just on/off taps.)

I prefer my van mount with a higher water flow. However I do find that I waste water during the scrubbing phase.

We have Varistreams on the vans. I have found that 3 is too slow when rinsing. Using 3 is a water saving device for me but the same job takes longer. 4 is better, as the same job takes slightly less time, but with a slight increase in water useage. 5 is much quicker job wise as rinsing is much quicker, but makes a noticable difference to water use through the day - I would say the increased use is around 25%. However, duing winter when time is short, the extra increase in water use balances itself out.

Advertisement