Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

standing on top of felt roofs?

richard123456

There's an estate with windows above the garages. And the only way I could reach them is if I stand on top of it. The garages are flat with felt on top. Are these safe to stand on? I saw another house and it looked like they converted it to a balcony?

If the roof is made from ply it will be pretty strong, but it good be rotten. I would take a scaffold board to stand on, or lay a section of ladder across the roof, spreading the weight.

I like to see how the roof is constructed first by asking to have a look inside the garage as some can be old and very dodgy. Then if it looks ok I test the flat roof with my weight and if it seems spongy at all I leave flat roof walking well alone. I've never fallen through a flat roof yet but I've seen plenty of old ones that I would never go walking on even using scafolding planks.

Frank put his big foot in it again /emoticons/biggrin.png
:confused: Me foot ended up in the cubby hole /emoticons/biggrin.png, oh and I've snapped the slats on a wooden bench while using it to get to higher windows :rolleyes:

At least your mate frank has not tried standing on a rocking horse yet unlike some :laugh:

oh and I've snapped the slats on a wooden bench while using it to get to higher windows :rolleyes:
Haha, I've done this too. It was a while ago, and she owed me a tenner for the windows, so we called it even. I felt guilty, even though it was an old bench anyway...

There's an estate with windows above the garages. And the only way I could reach them is if I stand on top of it. The garages are flat with felt on top. Are these safe to stand on? I saw another house and it looked like they converted it to a balcony?
I walk on them all the time with no problems yet. But everytime I take on a new house I always tread slower and test my weight. So long as the felt is in good condition the woods should be fine as in order for the felt to go on, it would have had to take the weight of two hairy arsed roofers. And most of the time they will swap out the boards if rotten as its more work to charge for, and its easier and safer to work on top of.

Or stand on the ground next to it and use a swivel squeegee of some sort if not confident of the roof

I've always got up and stood on them, you can tell as soon as lay a bit of weight on how strong they are, and in my experience almost all if not all garage roofs are pretty solid.

Latest Posts

Back