Van or No Van

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Gleam123, Jun 30, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Gleam123

Gleam123 Active Member

Just a bit curious,

I have a trailer system which I could easily accommodate into my car but am a little wary of looking a bit unprofessional. Would I be better of purchasing a van?:-/

Advertisement
  2. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

Well I have a van for that reason BUT there are many users on here that work from their cars and have a thriving business.

3. nearlyclean

Supplier

To be honest most customers don't notice what you drive.I have a trolley system and use an Estate car,Flipfast has a Polo,My dad has a van
    Car is cheaper to insure

4. I started and built myy wholw business using a car and only once i started making decent money did i buy a van thee main thing i'd say is keep your car clean! apart from that most customers usually don't care, however as your business grows you'll want to start taking on coommercial customers (better money) then you will need a van to look professional etc.

col :)

5. Gleam123

Gleam123 Active Member

Thanks for the info once again guys. The only reason im considering it to start of is purely because of my age, round here there has always been an influx of window cleaners during the summer (people on summer break from uni) looking to earn a bit on the side and gone by September.

I really dont want to give this impression because this is something im taking deadly seriously and hoping to earn a living from. I have the money to buy a van outright so am leaning a bit more to do this straight off.

6. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

In that case I see your point. At the end of the day it is what suits you best really. I got a van and don't regret it one bit.

7. STOZ

STOZ Guest

i used to have a van with a system installed in the back and a trailer system towed by a 4 wheel drive pic up. the van was very good for getting in and out for quick access etc and fuel economy and also having a great roof rack for ladders ir required to gain access to rooves etc. i now only have the trailer and 4 wheel drive system due to loss of work caused by the recession business closing and cut backs, etc. the problem i have noticed is its not as easy to turn round in a small car par and also extra fuel. although more comfortable and i use the pick up for personal use as well, its a nice dive. to save money on fuel i bought a mini /micro trolley which i fill 25 litre containers stored in my pick up. i use this to save on my fuel costs and it has worked very well. also the need for a roof rack to be added to the trailer. its all down to choice i guess, best of luck!

8. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

two weeks ago a friend of mine was involved in a serious car crash - car ended up on it's roof, stuck in a tree.

Got me thinking what if that had been me??

In a car there would have been a colossal amount of kit flying everywhere - may consider a van in the future - and if I do get a van then it will absolutely have to have a bulkhead.

9. nearlyclean

Supplier

The amount of gear in flip fast car there is no chance of it leaving the ground both hope you never have to try it out,A van is always the best option for work but then economics come into it

10. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

LOL not wrong there, and thats before I get in!

Advertisement