Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van size

twinge1976

Hi all I'm just asking for advice on what kind of van to purchase ,

I have a Peugeot partner but having problems as the pole is too long and do wanna put it on roof rack

What size , make and models do you people have or recommend

I have a scudo, with ply bulk head, but the top of the bulk head is cut out so the pole comes through. Most vans this size you'd have to allow the pole through the bulk head, can u do that?

If u want a van where pole will fit entirely in the back, it'd have to be transit, traffic, something that size.

I have cut a length of drain pipe (it's the big stuff, about 6inch diameter), and strap it to inside of roof, could even use bungee cords. Then don't need to drop seat down. Dunno if that's an option?

Got the pipe in B&Q, about a tenner, just cut it to size of your pole. You might even see some lying around after all the storms we've had!

P.s, you might need to let the pipe hang a few inches from the roof, so u can pull pole straight out of your back doors. Depends what ur van's like. Actually it helps if you have a 90deg socket on ur brush rather than a 45deg. The brush hangs lower & doesn't hit top of van when removing from drain pipe.

I have a Ford Transit Connect and I love it, perfect size and its quite nippy. I can fit my 500L tank in and all my poles. I also have enough room for all my equipment, buckets, squeegees etc. 1.8 Turbo ftw /emoticons/biggrin.png

It depends what your looking for as all vans have different pro's and con's tbh with you.

James.

Iv an astra van for sale if anyones interested.

Iv got 125ltr tank in bk. Could have up to 400ltrs at a guess. Lookin for £1800

04 plate just clicked over to 100k. 1.7 cdti.

Pm me. Will swap for transit or connect or combo.
you got any wfp pole gear going for sale?

good price that for the van.

If you can get some pics to me Neil it would be much appreciated. I'm very interested!

Also if you have any gear for sale later on too.

Cheers

James.

if i went wfp id have to use under 200l tank as this van is a gutless son of a gun lol.berlingo non turbo cheap to run tho.

if i went wfp id have to use under 200l tank as this van is a gutless son of a gun lol.berlingo non turbo cheap to run tho.
+1 for Berlingo's, dirt cheap to run and look nice. I like my Transit though for the Turbo. Gotta have a bit of Turbo for those steep hills!

James.

Not sure i agree with that james, i dont find my connect very eager at all unless pulling 3000rpm+, esp with a full tank (not so bad after that though). Low down torque is what you need, outright power isnt very important unless you drive like a boy racer!. I used to have a swb iveco daily, it didnt have much more power than my connect (96bhp vs 88bhp) but the extra 500cc of engine capacity meant it would pull happily from almost a standstill in 2nd gear with a ton of water in the back. I still miss that old bus, and if fuel economy wasnt such a major issue to me with my round spread far and wide, i would have another in a shot!. Steering lock like a london cab, it could just about do a u-turn in its own length!, nice high up driving position for a great view over other traffic, much quieter and more refined in the cab than the connect, oh so comfy seat, and incredibly effective heating and ventilation. I averaged 29 mpg with mine (which i suppose isnt too bad for a 3.5t van), whereas i get 41 out of my connect, so with the size of my round in relation to how far i have to travel, it just wasnt an effective choice. Still, once i build my round up a bit more, maybe get shot of some of my farther away work, might get another!.
Yeah I guess torque does come into it alot. I've only driven in the connect and no other van types to be honest with you so I may not be the best judge (even though I've been the passenger in a fair few!)

They look really spacious, this is the one I'm looking at on google: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=swb+window+cleaning&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=WyC&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&biw=1366&bih=636&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=nIGili-73XDN3M:&imgrefurl=https://www.apexauctions.co.uk/auction/itemDetails.htm%3FlotId%3D57038&docid=C-rp3gE3dDiWOM&imgurl=https://www.apexauctions.co.uk/apex/resources/Auctioneer_1/Auction_583/lot_id_57038/LotImage_94419.jpg&w=640&h=426&ei=ucAhT_eKCM3I8gOO-rCzBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=482&vpy=303&dur=2354&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=100&ty=110&sig=100044473450146516726&page=1&tbnh=134&tbnw=178&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0

Looks very tidy! So in comparison your not getting very good results out of your connect compared to the SWB. I think my fuel consumption is fairly good in my connect, I've had it 4 months and only filled it up 3 times, £50 a time to get it up to full. Not too bad I think.

I'm researching the SWB now though, they look smart.

James.

I get 380-400 miles out of a full tank before the light comes on, but i usually work out the mpg every 3rd or 4th fill. Dont get me wrong, im happy enough overall with the connect, and, touchwood, hasnt let me down so far. But i think, if i could go back, i would have replaced the iveco with a citroen dispatch/fiat scudo/peugeot expert. I dont know if they are more or less reliable, but from a design point of view, i just think they are more suitable for the job. By the way, if you are thinking of a swb connect, im assuming you know you probably wont get your poles inside?, not enough length.
Yeah I was just looking on the internet earlier and the lenght is pretty poor in them /emoticons/smile.png I'm just browsing different vans at the moment. In the future I will need a second van on the road. Just seeing what is the most cost effective / efficient van out there (or as near as you can get).

James.

Like your connect. Its what im lookin at gettin. Lookin to get a caddy tho i think. Coz connects are ugly lol.

Nice van tho. You want to swap?
I had a feeling this question was coming Neil. Unfortunately I like my connect tbh, I like it in my fleet! Probs one of my favourite vans at the moment. I do like your astra van though. Will be working out my cashflow situation in the next week so I will have to let you know how I'm doing.

James.

Nicee. They do look quite tidy. I'm really interested in yours, just need to know my finance situation before I invest.

James.

Latest Posts

Back