Van Tyres?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by windyman, Jul 9, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. windyman

windyman Well-Known Member

Got 2 new tyres on the van today (while it was tipping it down with rain!).

It's a Scudo van & the bloke said 'is it normal car tyres you want on yea? Or van tyres?'

To which I replied 'just normal car tyres yea'- thinking that if I say van it'll cost me loads more! lol.

My question is- Should I really be fitting van tyres and not car? What's the difference?

Now I know van tyres are probably made to take heavier loads yea? Well my logic is that the scudo is also a car- so no difference having 5 people in a scudo car to me having just me and a load of water. I only have a 300l tank by the way.

What you guys do?

Advertisement
  2. Paul

Paul Guest

I think van tyers hold higher psi enabling them to carry heavier weight.

3. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

would of gone for the van tyres myself, i just had to have one replaced on my berlingo coz the rating on the tyre wasnt right for the payload of the van, only cost £46 for it.

4. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

it might be a car, but if you use it as a car, do you carry all that weight all the time, day in day out!

5. windyman

Thanks lads for quick replies.

£46 is good for a tyre! I shopped around and £60 was cheapest...and that's just a budget tyre.

I know you might not have 5 people in a car all day, but also you might (a taxi for instance)- so a car tyre must be able to cope with weight of 5 people all the time otherwise it's useless, yea?

I'm sure the garage would have advised me or tried to sell me the correct van tyre if they thought it necessary I suppose?

6. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

you would like to think so really, just check on the side of the tyre and see what the max payload weight is and go from there!!!

7. windyman

Ah cool, is this on the tyre??? Didn't realise- will have a look.

8. windyman

Just checked- it's max 670kg. Also checked the other 2 that have been on the van for 18 months and they're the same so they must be car tyres too.

So next Q- If I have 300l full of water (300kg)- how much roughly would all other stuff weigh? Will I be over?

9. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

it depends, my van is 600kg payload and i am 10kg short of it when im full of water, all 5 poles, passanger, step ladders and tripple set of ladders. i carry 375lts water.

10. windyman

Cheers mate. I think I'll be ok with just myself, which I am most of the time.

The odd time I take another 2 guys I'll have to watch my weight. They can all go on diets. lol

Advertisement