Van upgrade...

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by Taxlossloz, Jul 2, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

Advertisement
  2. Jake

Jake Grand Master

Personaly id steer clear of French cars/vans mate, that's my honest opinion,

But,

Only you can decide!

3. ♠Winp®oClean♠

♠Winp®oClean♠ Forum Addict

That's way too expensive IMO. That's a Ten year old van at the end of the day. Personally I think you are far better off buying van & system separately.

4. davewindowcleaner

davewindowcleaner Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

5. SPCleaning

SPCleaning Guru

My van went through its MOT yesterday but the Tester said it would need a lot of welding underneath to get through next year.

So I will be looking for another van. I really hate picking a vehicle, driving around seeing one after another.

I might look at leasing, contract purchase.

6. Eviestevie

Eviestevie Grand Master

It's the 2.0 hdi mate these engines are bombproof
    Prob one of the most reliable Diesel engines ever made
    The system looks good as well
    If you can barter then say do a deal on 5 grand with all the equipment I'd say go for it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Alien Human

These guys gave me a pretty good deal SPC - it's a good website to at least compare etc :

http://www.loadsofvans.com

8. Jake

Jake Grand Master

Same as me!

9. spruce

spruce Grand Master

#9 spruce, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    Its a Peugeot Boxer Jake. The bad thing is that it's a Fiat. The good thing is that it has a Hdi engine PSA (Peugeot/Citroen/Ford) as Eviestevie says.

Gearbox is better than was used in the Mk1 up to 2001/2. Bad thing is that Fiat have only just admitted that the reverse gear is not the correct ratio (too high) which can cause clutch shudder in reverse gear under load, exacerbated by the reaction of a worn/failing dual mass flywheel.

It has a Dual Mass fly wheel which is prone to failure. Good thing is that when it fails it can be replaced with solid flywheel/clutch assembly kit.

Fiat vans suffer from peeling paint which Fiat don't seem concerned about. It affects vans over 5 years old and some are more prone to it than others. This affects vans built from 2002 onwards, and even extends down to vans with a 60 reg plate. Bad thing is that when the stickers from the previous window cleaners are removed from this van there is a good chance some of the paint will come off with them as well.

Ionics will have him for using their logo on the front door.

IMHO this van is well over priced even with 67k on the clock. How much is a 650 liter 2 man Purefreedom system?

Lets see. What will a dealer want to sell this 10 year old van for? A good van in mint condition would struggle to make £3995 retail. A dealer wouldn't trade it in for anymore that £2500. Forget what he says its cost him; that won't change it's real value.

I don't know what the PF system costs but it is probably around £2500 plus fitting with the trolley. It doesn't matter how little work the system has done, its now no longer new. The receiver used too (not sure this tax year) allow a 40% write down on purchases in the first year and 18% each year after. IMHO if he put the system up for sale on Ebay I doubt it would fetch any more than £1500 - which would include the gas heater and LPG tank. The LPG tank is far too big and takes up far too much valuable space. He needed to fit a smaller 25 liter one underneath the van just in front of the rear axle.

So I wouldn't pay anymore than £4000 for the complete setup. Oh. the van is due a service so it would be worth scrutinizing its full service history. With that mileage it should be being serviced every year, not 12500 miles or every 2 years. It will also need a cambelt change if that hasn't been done. This should include the waterpump as well. PSA say that cambelt should be replaced at 75k or 5 years. Most of us would change it at 100k or 10 years, which ever comes first. (As per the manufacturer Gates recommendations. The belt I took off my 2004 Citroen Relay with 54k on the clock over Christmas was without fault and minimal wear. The auxiliary belt was in a poor state and that must be replaced at the same time. Smurf will tell you that he wrote his Berlingo van off when the auxiliary belt snapped as it broke the cambelt housing, snapped the cambelt and knackered the engine - van not worth repairing.)

If Purefreedom fitted the system I would have to question the positioning of the tank. I can't see what the gap is between the bulk head and the tank, but if it is up against the BH then I would get the vehicle on a weighbridge with the tank full, diesel tank full and 2 operators. Bets are that the front axle will be overloaded. The tank should be fitted length ways so the weight is better distributed onto the rear axle.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Taxlossloz

Taxlossloz Grand Master

Wow that's pretty much decided it then ! Cheers spruce
    Bit big for what I need anyway
    I fancy dispatch/ expert - any advice?

Advertisement