Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help - pump problem?

H

Hunty

Hi all,

Went to start work today and cant get off ps on digi controller.

Looked to see if loose conection and water is in bottom of pump box.

Any recommendations as to if i can fix or if it is a new pump needed, the water looks like it has brown stuff in it????

Thanks for any help.
c7c18427de874dd0dce9e3dc0c243ba5.jpg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

If the pump has been under water you will probably need to replace it. It would be my guess the microswitch in the pressure switch housing is full of water and shorting out. Replacements are available from Maplins.

We had something similar happen to us many years ago. I bought a new pump but stripped the wet pump down and let it dry out. It was disassembled for a couple of months before I got around to reassembling it. I lubricated the motor bushes and the pump worked for many years after that. I can't remember the full details as it was at least 10 years ago but I think the bearing closest to the diaphragm was a roller bearing. I seem to remember carefully popping the side seal off, regreasing the bearing and replacing the seal. I didn't bother with the pressure switch as Varistreams don't need them connected.

We had a leak develop on the plastic hose leaving the pump. To ensure it didn't happen again we drilled a hole in the bottom of the box to act as a drain away.

You are basically unable to work today. I would remove the pump and the pressure switch and remove the motor back cover and outer casing. I would try to dry them out with a hair drier and clean them up.

When assembling the back cover with the brushes, you have to hold the carbon brushes back so they can be later released into the commutator when everything is assembled. I use a couple of lengths of single strand copper wire with the insulation removed. A couple of plastic cable ties will also work. You will notice there are 2 small slots in the casing. The cable ties etc will stick out here and once everything is screwed back together then they are pulled out.

You can disconnect the switch cables and join the wires together to see if the pump works. Then you can buy a replacement microswitch. Part number GW71N. You will also need some spade terminals as the Shurflo ones are a different size

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/low-cost-standard-microswitch-gw71n

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-insulated-spade-terminal-female-red-jh87u

Last edited by a moderator:
@spruce thanks for your help, i changed this, took the one shot off as i dont need any more and then left off the brown wire from my spring controller, all worked....
Then realised i left brown wire off, put that to battery and it blew my fuse is this supposed to be left off everything?

@spruce thanks for your help, i changed this, took the one shot off as i dont need any more and then left off the brown wire from my spring controller, all worked....
Then realised i left brown wire off, put that to battery and it blew my fuse is this supposed to be left off everything?

I don't know which colour wires are which on the latest spring controllers.

Maybe send an email to Ian Sheppard and ask his advice.

[email protected]

A blown fuse is usually reversed polarity when connecting up to the battery terminals or a short. Water in the electrics can cause a short.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back