viability of small town window cleaning

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by etaylor, Feb 13, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. etaylor

etaylor Guest

Hi I'm Ed,

I'm just starting out in the window cleaning buiness. I'm on the verge of laying out several thousand on equipment and vehical, one thing is causing me some worry though. I live in a small town of 10,000 population, the nearest city is 20 miles away. My town is reasonably afluent, but lets face it, everyones feeling the pinch. I'll be using a WFP set up. Is this a viable buiness to be attempting in my location, given that there are already a couple of well established window cleaners working my town, or would I be better travelling further a field.

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

Advertisement
  2. nearlyclean

Supplier

Cant really say for certain till you try,but when you think the average home has 4 inhabitants 2500 homes plus commercial,A one man set may do 12-15 houses a day and 200 houses per month if there is a demand for window cleaners in your area you could fill that need if not you will have to look farther a field

3. etaylor

etaylor Guest

Thanks for that. Given that I'll be using a trolly set up, how much purified water am I likely to get through per house, say a three bed semi for example.
    What I'm getting at really, being new to the buisness, is would it be nesessary to transport a large quan***y of water in the van if I'm working far from home?
    Sorry if this is abit of a basic question. Ed.

4. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

Really depends on your jobs. First cleans for instance take more water. If your doing a big place with many windows you will use more. With a trolly on a full day you will defo need to carry extra.

5. etaylor

etaylor Guest

I live in a soft water area, would I be able to use a DI on site.

6. Gav

Gav Grand Master
    Administrator

Do you know your tds I live in cornwall and use di only can't remember now what our tds is but is fairly low. Di saves a lot of hassle but can be expense if your tds is to high you will use resin fast I run two di vessels.

7. etaylor

etaylor Guest

No, but that sounds interesting, I'll look into it. I'm in south Herefordshire by the way, if I have to travel north, even just a few miles, the water turns hard.

8. etaylor

etaylor Guest

Another problem I need to solve is pricing. I know it varies a lot depending on area, but is there a general rule of thumb I can use as my base line. I don't want to under price, that won't make me any friends, but at the same time if I over price I'll be shooting my self in the foot before I get going.
    Any suggestions?

9. nearlyclean

Supplier

1st DI vessel sounds like your best bet,I take out 250L of water with me in the morning and if I need more I make it on site
    2nd three bed semi may take 50L to clean first time maybe more but on the second and third clean this can be reduced to under 20L-15L
    3rd rule of thumb is £1 a window £3 for a bay £2 for a patio doors so the average 3 bed semi should mark up around £10-£12
    hope this helps

10. etaylor

etaylor Guest

Thanks, that helps a lot. I can plan the business properly now. Cheers, Ed.

Advertisement