Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Vivaro or custom for 800L tank

Sam PWC

Custom or Vivaro for 800L tank? 

Aim to upgrade within the next few months to a two man system. My caddy and 400L have served me well but I need room for gutter vac and two man. 

Thinking LWB custom or vivaro.. would the 1.6L engine vivaro struggle with all that weight? Also, if I got a custom, would the 290 be enough of a payload? Torn between the two!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello mate ive got a SWB Vivaro and ill be honest ive got a 650lt tank and wouldnt want to go heavier.

I certainly wouldnt wanna be shanking alomg with the 1600 engine.

Id go as big as you can van wise mate.

The 290 is approx 1,000kg payload, the tank/frame/reels might be as much as 950kg, leaving you with 50kg for everything else including your passenger. 
Even the LWB vivaro at 1,300kg payload would still take a bit of care if you carry a lot of other equipment with you.

I have a Fiat Ducato 3500 with an 800l tank, twin stack electric reels, pole rack, booster pump etc and last time I put it over the weigh bridge fully loaded, including gutter vac and generator I would have been overloaded with a passenger.

If you have a delivery only system you might be just about ok with an 800l tank in the Vivaro. I'm not certain but I think the Custom payload is about 100kgs less so I think you'd struggle to stay within your legal payload.

The option you have though, and what we do, is if you're gutter vaccing then you shouldn't need as much water.

I’ve got 2 of these dispatch/expert which are same as new vivaro and Toyota.

600L ionic delivery only in each with two reels. Can fit vacuum and investor generator in between bulkhead and tank. Reels behind tank at back door.

the expert is 1.5 and dispatch is 1.6 as there is a year between them. No issue with power what so ever as I always encourage safe driving with steady acceleration and braking anyway.

I have a Fiat Ducato 3500 with an 800l tank, twin stack electric reels, pole rack, booster pump etc and last time I put it over the weigh bridge fully loaded, including gutter vac and generator I would have been overloaded with a passenger.

If you have a delivery only system you might be just about ok with an 800l tank in the Vivaro. I'm not certain but I think the Custom payload is about 100kgs less so I think you'd struggle to stay within your legal payload.

The option you have though, and what we do, is if you're gutter vaccing then you shouldn't need as much water.
Yes, I don’t plan to carry 800L regularly, especially  if I’m vaccuming, 800L is mainly to future proof. Also, as it’s only a delivery system I would hate to have a 650 with 2 man and run out 

I’ve got 2 of these dispatch/expert which are same as new vivaro and Toyota.

600L ionic delivery only in each with two reels. Can fit vacuum and investor generator in between bulkhead and tank. Reels behind tank at back door.

the expert is 1.5 and dispatch is 1.6 as there is a year between them. No issue with power what so ever as I always encourage safe driving with steady acceleration and braking anyway.
As we get older some of us battle with the downward sizing of diesel engines which goes against everything we ever knew.

These days engine designers use turbo boost to produce horse power. In my day horse power on a diesel engine meant very little - it was all about torque.

In my early business days I worked for a company who sold parts for Gardiner LW locomotive engines. A Gardiner 3LW engine had 3 cylinders and produced 42hp at 1300RPM. MAXIMUM rpm 1700. Engine size 4 litres. That engine was all about torque.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree, my 2013 Primastar has a 2.0l engine 115 go, they changed this to a 1.6 and I believe they may have reverted back To a 2.0 for the very latest models. 

Speaking of torque, in my tree surgery days I owned a u1600 unimog with a 4.0 merc engine producing 160hp.
The torque was unreal it could pull 20t on the road, absolute beast of a thing. 

As we get older some of us battle with the downward sizing of diesel engines which goes against everything we ever knew.

These days engine designers use turbo boost to produce horse power. In my day horse power on a diesel engine meant very little - it was all about torque.

In my early business days I worked for a company who sold parts for Gardiner LW locomotive engines. A Gardiner 3LW engine had 3 cylinders and produced 42hp at 1300RPM. MAXIMUM rpm 1700. Engine size 4 litres. That engine was all about torque.

Totally agree, my 2013 Primastar has a 2.0l engine 115 go, they changed this to a 1.6 and I believe they may have reverted back To a 2.0 for the very latest models. 

Speaking of torque, in my tree surgery days I owned a u1600 unimog with a 4.0 merc engine producing 160hp.
The torque was unreal it could pull 20t on the road, absolute beast of a thing. 
and worth an absolute fortune.

It was ridiculously expensive ! Big front mount chipper on it  

Had it 4 years, it served me well to be fair. The primastar is much easier to park ??

Do you think you'd get it all in with an 800l tank as that's what the OP wants.
I would say it is likely. I assess this on the basis that we can fit safety cones between the tank and reels.

It will ultimately depend on the tank and fitting position though.

but consider ionic use the same size chassis for 5-700 litres with just a different pp tank inside. So it’s a given that 700 will be the same. Depends on dimension and tank type for the 800l.

Also. On engine power. The Peugeot expert we have is the 1.5.

had it since last year and I had probably only driven it a handful of times as an employee had it. I used it the other day and was surprised with the speed of the thing. Much quicker than the Citroen dispatch which is a 1.6 and otherwise identical or close as specification. The Peugeot 1.5 has 6 speed box and it just goes.

I would say it is likely. I assess this on the basis that we can fit safety cones between the tank and reels.

It will ultimately depend on the tank and fitting position though.

but consider ionic use the same size chassis for 5-700 litres with just a different pp tank inside. So it’s a given that 700 will be the same. Depends on dimension and tank type for the 800l.

Also. On engine power. The Peugeot expert we have is the 1.5.

had it since last year and I had probably only driven it a handful of times as an employee had it. I used it the other day and was surprised with the speed of the thing. Much quicker than the Citroen dispatch which is a 1.6 and otherwise identical or close as specification. The Peugeot 1.5 has 6 speed box and it just goes.
I have a Toyota proace which is the same van lwb 2:0 120 bhp goes very well for a van  just putting an ionics thermopure 600 ltr system in it, free standing hose reels go up front by the bulk head , fixed reel in the back which can be removed quickly if needed to put the gutter vac in , it’s low roof but with a bit of thought it’s supprising what you can get in it and the payload is just over 1400 kg  

Ive just got a new van gone from 20l vivaro lwb to the newer 1.6 125 lwb pulls very well with a 800l tank in it ide say bit better than my old 2.0 cdti loads of room for pw and other bits 

15927550794266707422379013184525.jpg

15927551316123593294542580944783.jpg

I dont fill mine full as dont need all that water but most days just over half full filled it up once full was fine i only travle local tho 10 minits or so to first job usly 

Custom or Vivaro for 800L tank? 

Aim to upgrade within the next few months to a two man system. My caddy and 400L have served me well but I need room for gutter vac and two man. 

Thinking LWB custom or vivaro.. would the 1.6L engine vivaro struggle with all that weight? Also, if I got a custom, would the 290 be enough of a payload? Torn between the two!
No chance on the the 290

You need a 340 or you can scrape by on a 320 but it maybe slightly over weight. 

Maybe @Damo could help here. I think he has a custom with an 800 L tank in it ?‍?
Did have, it was an 850L that’s been sold to a franchisee. Now got a new custom and 650L

No chance on the the 290

You need a 340 or you can scrape by on a 320 but it maybe slightly over weight. 

Did have, it was an 850L that’s been sold to a franchisee. Now got a new custom and 650L
Which model have you got the 650 system in ?.. 

Back