Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New To This...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

tdw

Hi

Just registered. I have been thinking for a while to try something new. I was thinking of canvassing my local area but only bungalows or shops that wouldnt require ladders.

If I didnt intend on using ladder would you still have to get public liability insurance?

Thanks

Yes mate best to, things can still get broken and you can still get hurt with your feet on the ground, especially if you're as clumsy as me.

And welcome to the forum mate, don't be afraid to ask questions if you can't find what you're looking for.

Thanks thats a great help. Any advise/important things to know would be appreciated.

At the moment I work part time in Office Administration & never cleaned a window in my life so couldnt be further out of my comfort zone.

Lads will have loads of answers to that but me, I'd suggest getting some trad gear and practising before you get going. Learn the fan/S method with a squeegee and practise a lot on your own place, it's not as easy as it looks.

If ladders bother you I would possibly go down the water fed pole route which needn't be too expensive to start.

I dont mind ladders so much just havent got means to transport them. Got a Astra so thinking would be easier to go Traditional.

This is great forum.. started to have a look around & lots of info.

Bit worried about about treading on people toes, if it ever gets that far. Do you always have set price for all houses or do you have to factor in customers, ie OPAs etc

Roof rack on astra and thats sorted mate, wfp a backpack, Pole (diy harris is cheapest) and 25l containers would do the job but obviously more expensive than starting out trad.

I thought the same when I started, wont need a ladder but its the first thing you need with a squeegee and a bucket.

I am going to get a retractable ladder in the next few months and leave my ladder at home as i only use it a few days a month. Thats because I use a waterfed pole system.

Hi mate welcome to the forum.

I have an 2007 Astra roof bars from Halfords with adaptor £106 ladder trade with safety feet £110 plus roof bar ladder ties £12 ...£122 delivered

All the other stuff I got from soap national bucket on belt,squeegees, t-bar , pouches, scrims...ect

Stephen

I had an astra when i first started mate!

When you price jobs up bud the general rule is, (well this is how i price anyway) :

£1 standard window

£1.50-£2.00 georgian pane (windows with multiple sections in)

£1.50-£2.00 patio doors

Between £5-£10 conservatory (depending on how big it is) And if u have a house with leaded windows add £1 for larger window and 50p for smaller ones.

Hope thats gave u a guide mate! good luck! :)

HiJust registered. I have been thinking for a while to try something new. I was thinking of canvassing my local area but only bungalows or shops that wouldnt require ladders.

If I didnt intend on using ladder would you still have to get public liability insurance?

Thanks
Welcome to window cleaning mate,never ever give up,take pride in your work and you'll go far.check out methods on YouTube and practice on that squeegee non stop until you have cracked it.

Welcome mate.

Yes you will need public liability, its a legal requirement, cheap as chips though.

I'm also moving over from a office job ATM.

I am going trad but use a Harris pole with a wagtail attached, which means I clean from ground height without needed ladders.

Welcome mate. Yes you will need public liability, its a legal requirement, cheap as chips though. I'm also moving over from a office job ATM. I am going trad but use a Harris pole with a wagtail attached, which means I clean from ground height without needed ladders.
having public liability insurance is not a legal requirement, but its worth getting

You will if you employ someone or ask anyone to "help out" etc....

You should also have it for commercial work too /emoticons/smile.png

the point i was making is that its not a legal requirement, the only thing you have to do legally is register as self employed and fill out your tax returns, you dont have to have insurance

Agree with a few of the lads saying practice at home with your squeegee, takes a bit of getting used to but once you practice and find your on style you'll be well away! When I first started my back door glass must've been the cleanest piece of glass in essex haha!

Back