Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wagtail slimline channel

1393jason

Hi all,

I have just been told the smallest wagtail slimline channel is 14" and nothing else is compatable.

Would I be safe to cut down a 14 channel down to say 10 and it not affect performance?

Cheers

Jason

Hi all,
I have just been told the smallest wagtail slimline channel is 14" and nothing else is compatable.

Would I be safe to cut down a 14 channel down to say 10 and it not affect performance?

Cheers

Jason
Yes, just be careful when you do it. I'll just mention that the first one I bought was 14", but my main squeegee at the time was ten and a half inch, so cut it down to that. But what I found was that the Wagtail is so good (once you've got the hang of it), that I went on to use a 12" and found it really good, So I suggest you do 12" first.

Yes, just be careful when you do it. I'll just mention that the first one I bought was 14", but my main squeegee at the time was ten and a half inch, so cut it down to that. But what I found was that the Wagtail is so good (once you've got the hang of it), that I went on to use a 12" and found it really good, So I suggest you do 12" first.
Thanks Rugbywolf, I am going to keep the 14 that came with the wagtail and buy another to cut down. Its only for the smaller windows that the 14 does not fit.

I've cut, chopped, hacked, modified a number of Wagtail channels. No issues. Use a fine tooth hacksaw and ...gently gently. Get some fine grit emory paper and buff off any sharp edges. Don't forget that if you're cutting an existing channel to take equal amounts of each end as the hole for the rubber retention screw is dead centre...

Another pole question Eric...[emoji42]

Which poles apart from wagtails 1metre approx one fit the wagtail handle. Do wagtail do a bigger one. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Another pole question Eric...[emoji42]Which poles apart from wagtails 1metre approx one fit the wagtail handle. Do wagtail do a bigger one. Cheers

I am using a 5m Harris pole with an unger angle adapter and cone.

I've cut, chopped, hacked, modified a number of Wagtail channels. No issues. Use a fine tooth hacksaw and ...gently gently. Get some fine grit emory paper and buff off any sharp edges. Don't forget that if you're cutting an existing channel to take equal amounts of each end as the hole for the rubber retention screw is dead centre...
Thanks Eric. I am going to order one and give it a go.

Another pole question Eric...[emoji42]Which poles apart from wagtails 1metre approx one fit the wagtail handle. Do wagtail do a bigger one. Cheers

Pretty much any pole you like Keefo. I've made a removable tip for my Reach-It mini and use the break apart section as a squeegee pole. If you're not using the Wag angle adaptor though I'd suggest grabbing one of the Gardiner Angle adaptors that Peter sells at Window Cleaning World and adapt it to your pole of choice.

I use an unger adjustable crank with optiloc cone and it fits the wagtail handle better than the wagtail end

if youre going to cut down channels i find the pulex aluminium featherlight channel is better [cheap to buy too] and its made of a harder alloy [aircraft alloy]that resists getting bent . the wagtail alloy is heavier but quite easily bent out of shape

if youre going to cut down channels i find the pulex aluminium featherlight channel is better [cheap to buy too] and its made of a harder alloy [aircraft alloy]that resists getting bent . the wagtail alloy is heavier but quite easily bent out of shape
Boarcity - this is the one I am about to buy Wagtail SLIMLINE CHANNELS my understanding is that these are the only ones that fit?

Boarcity - this is the one I am about to buy Wagtail SLIMLINE CHANNELS my understanding is that these are the only ones that fit?
those ^ fit perfectly of course as theyre the originals .but other makes of channel also will fit into the wag ,you may need to pack it out some[i use plastic offcuts] . i found that the pulex aluminium channels [sold by www.windowcleancentre.co.uk ] do the job very well as the alloy is stiffer than the originals and about a 1/4 of the cost too

those ^ fit perfectly of course as theyre the originals .but other makes of channel also will fit into the wag ,you may need to pack it out some[i use plastic offcuts] . i found that the pulex aluminium channels [sold by www.windowcleancentre.co.uk ] do the job very well as the alloy is stiffer than the originals
Thanks Boarcity, I will look into these. I am getting carried away with all the equipment. I only did my first cleans today and already thinking of trying a few of the moerman range!

Thanks Boarcity, I will look into these. I am getting carried away with all the equipment. I only did my first cleans today and already thinking of trying a few of the moerman range!
its well worth trying a few diffrent makes of squeegee. what works for one man dont work for another. youll find a squeegee that " just feels so right" and then stick with it,makes the job enjoyable

Does anybody know if a liquidator channel will fit in the wagtail slimline handle without any mod work?
The Wagtail handle jaws are optimised for the wagtail channels. The least you can do to fit the Liquidator channel is pack out the inside top of the jaw with a narrow strip of Velcro or thick tape so that the channel is held snugly.

The Wagtail handle jaws are optimised for the wagtail channels. The least you can do to fit the Liquidator channel is pack out the inside top of the jaw with a narrow strip of Velcro or thick tape so that the channel is held snugly.
Cheers Eric, I was trying to avoid doing any mods.

Back