Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wall Cleaning - Advice Needed

WCF

Help Support WCF:

CDF-CW

Just been asked to price up a large PW job. It includes cleaning of these walls. Anyone have experience cleaning brickwork like this? What would be the easiest and safest way without damaging the wall?

Any help would be appreciated. 7A737656-7EE4-4A0B-9470-DA7423843DEC.jpeg

Attachments

• 2F1D1228-F27C-4EEE-8310-1C681C9DB710.jpeg
    2F1D1228-F27C-4EEE-8310-1C681C9DB710.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 6
  • A1BAD189-9C25-494F-BD10-1DC8D096DA74.jpeg
    A1BAD189-9C25-494F-BD10-1DC8D096DA74.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 6
  • E75059BB-4D7E-4F3E-8EFC-D58475C0A168.jpeg
    E75059BB-4D7E-4F3E-8EFC-D58475C0A168.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 5
  • 74253938-EABA-4CE1-BDBE-D7D9A95798B2.jpeg
    74253938-EABA-4CE1-BDBE-D7D9A95798B2.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 6
I would just do a test patch with my twin turbo lance and see how it turns out. If the facing brick begins to deteriorate then I would revert to softwashing with hypo. You could do both test patches and let the customer decide.

I done something similar this week. I treated it with some hypo first, then used my 60 degree nozzle on my j-rod and it came up a beauty.

Likewise I did a similar job recently at a business park to help someone out. We were using quite a strong hypo mix - about 2 to 1 (he was using 50/50) and turbo nozzle and it came up really good.
We went back the following weekend to finish it off and no signs of efflorescence on the wall we'd already done and no damage to the brickwork. Apparently the customer was well pleased.
Obviously if you've got members of the public walking by you'll want signs out / cones etc and plenty of scent masker or you'll have people complaining about the smell and asking what you're using, is it safe etc etc. But you need to hypo the walls because pressure washing alone won't do it.

Thanks for that. Do you mind if I ask what sort of hypo mix you used?
I used a 3-1 mix as this was my first time using it on walls and was on a built up new housing estate with a school kids walking past.. Next time I'd prob go 2-1 though.

I used a 3-1 mix as this was my first time using it on walls and was on a built up new housing estate with a school kids walking past.. Next time I'd prob go 2-1 though.
You can always apply it through a wfp brush instead of spray no danger of drift if the brush is kept on the wall , it also helps get the mix into the licken as the bristles scratch the surface helping to break it up .

It's always better to start with a weak mix and then strengthen it if needed rather than going in strong and realising too late that it was too strong,

You can always apply it through a wfp brush instead of spray no danger of drift if the brush is kept on the wall , it also helps get the mix into the licken as the bristles scratch the surface helping to break it up .

very good point, I'll be honest I hadn't thought about that (stupidly) though will for next time! Thanks

very good point, I'll be honest I hadn't thought about that (stupidly) though will for next time! Thanks
Yes it is an excellent point and does make the mix more effective and increases contact time which is ideal on a vertical surface

Just been asked to price up a large PW job. It includes cleaning of these walls. Anyone have experience cleaning brickwork like this? What would be the easiest and safest way without damaging the wall?

Any help would be appreciated. View attachment 26947
I've done a lot of brick cleaning and I always use hydrochloride if you are not confident in cleaning it contact me and I'll come over and do the job

Back