Washing sill cloths in own washing machine?

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by slippy, Jul 24, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

The sill cloths I wash have mud, bits of twigs, and all sorts of **** in them. Will this block up anything in my washing machine? Anyone know how to clean a washing machines fliter etc

Shall I use the launderette? I wash my baby's clothes in the same machine and the missus insists I do a 15mins short wash between (with no clothes in the machine).

Also, noticed scrim is leaving hairs do people wash them separately to microfibers at the hottest temperature now and then?

Advertisement
  2. boarcity

boarcity Guest

i only wash my scrim at low temp ,always on their own

3. Alien Human

Only ever put mine on an rinse wash.

Pull the twigs out of the clothes before washing them mate.

4. Matty

Matty Newcomer

If I took my cloth's in to the mrs to wash she would throw them at me, she has told me they are not going anywhere near our washing machine that the families clothes go in .......

If u use scrims the lint will block the waste pipe on ya washing machine.

I use microfibres I get from tool station/screw fix, £20 for bag of 50, and just hand wash them in a bucket of fresh water

5. Clisty1989

Clisty1989 Forum Addict

I was everything in my machine, seperate load, just rinse sill cloths under tap to get the worst of the crud uff first

6. rugbywolf

rugbywolf Forum Addict

I only use towelling for sill cloths, so much better than scrim. what I do is this; I never wring out cloths, when they are too wet to use they are put to one side. when I get home I put them into a tub of cold water and bleach. I have a spin drier that I use only for them, not every day, depending on the weather etc. when they have been spun I shake them out and any bits on them will come off then. After that, I hang them up to dry. I've been doing it this way for the last twenty years. Towels last a lot longer, and absorb more water than scrims, I haven't bought any new ones for about four years.

7. CHWS

CHWS Forum Addict

The filter is at the front bottom of the machine

8. Markyboy 50

I was scrims micro fibres and applicator sleeves on a 30 wash. Got a few so only wash them every 2 or 3 weeks. Sometimes when I clean an old peoples sheltered housing thingy I will use one of their machines in the laundry room. Scrims and applicator sleeves on a 90 degree wash. They come out like new!

9. David K

David K Forum Addict

I just Wash the load , separate of course. If they are really dirty I just flush them on the outside tap and give them a good twist by hand . Really it's just dirt ! Not human feces,or brain-matter.... ;) . Mine are glass cloths . Microfiber.

10. slippy

slippy Well-Known Member

#10 slippy, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    is that true that the lint will block my washer/dryer? Maybe wash them all at a launderette.

I got 5 scrims and 5 microfibers

I have more sil cloths, but many are small. The cheap microfibers from B and Q. Maybe I should buy more microfibers as they're lint free so I only have to wash them all once every 2 or 3 weeks instead of once a week for my Saturday round which these days is more wfp anyhow.

Advertisement