water fed pole system

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by jon, Jul 20, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. jon

jon Guest

hi can any 1 tell me what water fed pole systems are the best thanks

Advertisement
  2. Hello Jon,

It really depends on a number of factors.

How much you want to spend.
    Do you want a static/ Trolley, Trailer, Van, or backpack system.
    The above will depend on funds, where you live, what type of houses/ commercial you will be cleaning.
    For example - I went for a van mounted system as it suited me. I could have spent £20,000 on a very posh system from Ionic (for example) that looked the part, and indeed is no doubt the part, but I did not have that sort of money.
    I opted to build my own so asked around, looked on the internet, used the experience of sales staff and then bought a van and the parts and built my whole system in my van for about £1000. It functions exactly the same as the really posh systems, looks okay, although is not athsetically as pleasing.
    Some of the most experienced guys and girls on here use trolley system, some static systems - each will tell you the merits and disadvantages of their particular system, BUT, the important thing is whatever they use either suits them, or is the best they can get for their budget.

SO Jon, there are many of us that can help you if you can give us an idea of your plans - budget, round size, location (important - do you live in a very built up area or the country), etc, etc, etc.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Rich[/quote]

3. jon

jon Guest

[/quote]

thanks for your reply rich i am looking on doing comercial and detached houses in merseyside i have a budget of about 5000 for my system and it for 2 men to work for about 9 hours

4. thanks for your reply rich i am looking on doing comercial and detached houses in merseyside i have a budget of about 5000 for my system and it for 2 men to work for about 9 hours
    [/quote]

Okay Jon,

Firstly you need to decide whether you want a van or trailer set up. From what you say wanting a two man set up I would rule out a trolley system, although there is no reason why you could not use a trolley (nearlyclean amongst others uses a trolley set up I believe).

There are pro's and cons to both. I live in a seaside town where roads are tight so a trailer set up would be useless and therefore I went for a van. The cons of a van are high insurance (if no previous commercial insurance) plus you need a good van.

Personally for a two man set up I would suggest a 1000 litre baffled tank in which case you need something like a Vaxhual Vivaro or Renualt Traffic as they have a 2 ton payload (1 litre of water is 1kg in weight so a 1000 ltre tank weighs roughly 1 tonne.

You then need filters but again this depends on whether you live in a soft water area which I believe you do. You need to find out the TDS reading in your area so if anyone else on this forum is from near where you live they should be able to tell you.

You will need a DI resin vessel and resin, either 100m of mini or microbore hose (your preference), a good hose-reel, a 100psi pump (1 will do for two persons but to if you can afford it I would suggest two to save wear on the pumps.

You need a flow controller, a leisure battery, pole (at least one) - This is a personal thing and everyone on this site will give you a reason why you shoudl use a certain pole as all have favourites. To start a 27ft pole will do most things you will need it for.

So, if you were to go the van route you need: -

A van (payload must be checked against your needs)
    A tank
    A pump (or two)
    A flow controller
    Pre-filters.
    Possibly a low pressure RO membrane (not if in a soft water area)
    A DI vessel (9 litre will do)
    Resin (25 litre bag)
    100 metres of micorbore hose.
    Good hose reel.
    120amp leisure battery.
    Some sort of frame (see local fabrication firm) or harness to secure tank.
    Various hoselock or similar connectors
    Pole(s)
    Van Insurance
    Public Liability Insurance (£1,000,000)

Customers!!!!

If you wanted a one man set up I would suggest a 350 litre tank and something like a trnsit connect, Berlingo etc.

You can do it for £5,000 as I did but it depends on the van cost as getting the correct vehicle is very important.

Alternatively you could go for a trailer sysetm and buy a cheap estate car, or you coudl go the trolley route.

There are so many conotations -

Do you have any work or are you starting from scratch.

5. jon

jon Guest

Okay Jon,

Firstly you need to decide whether you want a van or trailer set up. From what you say wanting a two man set up I would rule out a trolley system, although there is no reason why you could not use a trolley (nearlyclean amongst others uses a trolley set up I believe).

There are pro's and cons to both. I live in a seaside town where roads are tight so a trailer set up would be useless and therefore I went for a van. The cons of a van are high insurance (if no previous commercial insurance) plus you need a good van.

Personally for a two man set up I would suggest a 1000 litre baffled tank in which case you need something like a Vaxhual Vivaro or Renualt Traffic as they have a 2 ton payload (1 litre of water is 1kg in weight so a 1000 ltre tank weighs roughly 1 tonne.

You then need filters but again this depends on whether you live in a soft water area which I believe you do. You need to find out the TDS reading in your area so if anyone else on this forum is from near where you live they should be able to tell you.

You will need a DI resin vessel and resin, either 100m of mini or microbore hose (your preference), a good hose-reel, a 100psi pump (1 will do for two persons but to if you can afford it I would suggest two to save wear on the pumps.

You need a flow controller, a leisure battery, pole (at least one) - This is a personal thing and everyone on this site will give you a reason why you shoudl use a certain pole as all have favourites. To start a 27ft pole will do most things you will need it for.

A tank
    A pump (or two)
    A flow controller
    Pre-filters.
    Resin (25 litre bag)
    Good hose reel.
    120amp leisure battery.
    Pole(s)
    Van Insurance

Customers!!!!

If you wanted a one man set up I would suggest a 350 litre tank and something like a trnsit connect, Berlingo etc.

You can do it for £5,000 as I did but it depends on the van cost as getting the correct vehicle is very important.

Alternatively you could go for a trailer sysetm and buy a cheap estate car, or you coudl go the trolley route.

[/quote] thanks for the info rich i have a trditional round already but i am starting a wf round want to do comercial aswell i have 5000 for van and 5000 for system just need to no best system to buy and best place to buy thanks

[hr]
    Okay Jon,

A tank
    A pump (or two)
    A flow controller
    Pre-filters.
    Resin (25 litre bag)
    Good hose reel.
    120amp leisure battery.
    Pole(s)
    Van Insurance

Customers!!!!

[/quote] o ye think am gunner go for the van system

[hr]
    Okay Jon,

A tank
    A pump (or two)
    A flow controller
    Pre-filters.
    Resin (25 litre bag)
    Good hose reel.
    120amp leisure battery.
    Pole(s)
    Van Insurance

Customers!!!!

[/quote] o ye think am gunner go for the van system

6. Jon

Good, £ 5000 for a van will get you a decent one. I have to be honest and say most bigger WC in my area have the vivaro or trafic. I have never owned either so cannto comment personally other than knowing they are good vans.

If you want to spend £5,000 on a system then there will probably be someone far more well informed on here than me (flipfast maybe). I uilt my own and personally would not spend £5,000 as you are paying for the asthetics as they all do the same job. I would save my money as winter will soon be here.

Having said that, it is your money and if you want an all singing all dancing system, why not.

7. Hinty

Hinty Well-Known Member

Hi Jon,

I see that you are hoping to do mostly commercial & detached houses.

One question though, is where will you be producing the water?, and also - how far from base will your work be?

I am assuming that water in your area has a fairly high TDS, and that a R.O. system is the way to go.

If you are planning to fit the purifying kit in a garage - then maybe a 1000L system would be the way to go- something like: http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/Static_system.html

I recently fitted one of these for a friend & it is a really good bit of kit & simple to set up.

There are loads of other cheaper ways of doing it - you could source all the components separately and assemble them yourself.

If however you are fitting in a van, then consider how much water you will need per day, and how much time you will have available to fill the system.

As you are running 2 men, would probably be worth having 2 pumps, both fitted to Aqua-Dapters, on decent poles.

Pole wise - suggest 2 x 18ft Gardiner CLX, 1 x 27ft CLX, 1 x 35ft SLX - then you would be able to cover most things. (Of course all fitted with a Flipfast!)

As you will need resin after the pump - suggest 11Litre DI (2 if 2 pumps)

I work on the rule that my flow rate is set to 1.4L per minute, and you will spend half your time running the pole, and half setting up, driving etc.

Therefore: 2 Men = 2 poles at 1.4L per minute for 4 hours per day :
    total 630 Litres. so a 600Litre tank would be about right.

To carry this sort of quan***y you will need a van with a decent payload - 600KG water, plus you, plus your mate, plus other the tank, hose reels, poles ladder etc...

At a push you might get away with a 300gpd RO system - but this will be working flat out if it is in the van, so would try and get a 600gpd pumped if possible.

Would also consider using a pump and hose reel for 1 operator, and a trolley (Freedom) for the second operator - that could also be fitted to a hosereel or gives flexibility of having one totally mobile. This would mean that you could also work on 2 separate houses if needed.

Getting late now, but will give it a bit of thought and try to give you another post over the weekend.

Dave

8. Told you Dave would help.
    (You are the daddy!!!):)

Advertisement