Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Caught out again

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Danfire

Did two first cleans yesterday.... When I said to the second one "will see you in six weeks time", he tells me "they will call me when they next want them cleaned"....I thought I was pretty clear when I explained how the round worked....I'm more ****** off with myself because for some unknown reason I never charged double....this is the third one in the last two years that have pulled this stroke.

It happens, its either charge double to cover it and risk not getting the job or take it on the chin. I jusy suck it up now a tenner in 30 mins on a first clean is still not bad money really if its not out of your way that is.

The old; "We'll have the first clean and see from there". Any customer that wants you regular will never say this. Just charge double for the first clean, and if they want to have you regular they will say. Either way you get a nice little tickle as you're getting double bubble.

The old; "We'll have the first clean and see from there". Any customer that wants you regular will never say this. Just charge double for the first clean, and if they want to have you regular they will say. Either way you get a nice little tickle as you're getting double bubble.
Agree, but it can be a little bit tricky to ask for double if the price is already high, takes some confidence!

Agree, but it can be a little bit tricky to ask for double if the price is already high, takes some confidence!
Its always a judgement call, but whatever happens, you have to charge extra,or else get ripped off all the time. It doesnt always have to be double, for me the bigger the house is, the less the first clean charge e.g £50 monthly would be about £70, it'll still be very proffitable since I won't have to do 5 or 6 ten pound jobs to make the same money.

Its easy to be keen for new customers on the round, but too many people let themselves get mugged off. It really is quite simple; People will generally not say they want to be on the monthly round....and then go back on their word. What usually happens if you let it is that they keep quiet, and then when the time comes, they say "we'll call you".

So the trick is to charge double for the first or one off clean regardless, and make no mention of your monthly round. Turn up with the attitude that you are just there for one clean. As you re taking the money, make light mention that you work these parts regularly on a round basis, and if they bite you are in business. In short, if they want it, they'll come to you. There is no pressure selling in window cleaning, its just a recipe to getting fked about.

Last edited by a moderator:
agree with that ^ , iv never been one to charge extra for the 1st clean and have been diddled rotten so many times its embarrasing.

I will never get caught again...where I clean is very 'Foresty'...the frames are usually thick with black filth...can take me at least three times as long as a maintenance clean...normally use a soapy scourer to get the frames good and can get through at least a couple of changes of water...charging treble would be fairer but would probably lose too many.

Danfire, Have you tried Ubix? A good solution in a spray bottle give the frames a quick spray and wait 5 seconds, really does loosen up grime and gunk quickly.

This was an internal clean I did on a house that had been chain smoked in for 10 years, normal soapy water was doing nothing. A quick spray with some Ubik and this is what happened.

When I showed the customer and told here there would be an additional £40 on the bill for replacement materials (applicators, microfibers etc) she just said that's fine.

This was the most disgusting job I have done in years as I was physically i'll for about 2 days after as all that tar and **** got on to my skin.

I've not tried Ubix, I did get some Virosol, sometimes it works great other times it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference, always smells nice though....the house I now live in was previously owned by a smoker, it was bloody awful, everyone had a sore throat and felt sick/headache when they woke up the first morning of living here, the four of us had to sleep in the one room that wasn't tar covered until I'd cleaned and decorated...got through a lot of sugar soap...that's made me think, anyone used sugar soap on first clean window frames? Did the business on my walls and ceilings.

I've not tried Ubix, I did get some Virosol, sometimes it works great other times it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference, always smells nice though....the house I now live in was previously owned by a smoker, it was bloody awful, everyone had a sore throat and felt sick/headache when they woke up the first morning of living here, the four of us had to sleep in the one room that wasn't tar covered until I'd cleaned and decorated...got through a lot of sugar soap...that's made me think, anyone used sugar soap on first clean window frames? Did the business on my walls and ceilings.
I've used sugar soap on frames, did nothing really mate. I gave it a go as I always have it in my van for paint jobs. Better off with cream cleaner, and Ubik. Cif is the best, but you can cut costs massively by going with the tesco blue stripe own brand, works well.

I cannot really understand this charge double for the first clean. Most wfp cleaners use the all your frames and sills get cleaned at the same time as your windows pitch as a way of getting the work . How you can then try to charge double is beyond me.

I cannot really understand this charge double for the first clean. Most wfp cleaners use the all your frames and sills get cleaned at the same time as your windows pitch as a way of getting the work . How you can then try to charge double is beyond me.
See your point /emoticons/smile.png

But for me it goes something like this:

Stranger: 'Do you want a double burger or a single one?'

Me: 'I've never met you man but if your sure then a double please - thanks bro'

I doesnt matter if you are wfp ortrad, it takes longer on the first clean every time as thier is a lot more dirt to contend with. The reason a monthly clean is so cheap is because you are there just to keep the windows clean, not to strip off years of bird **** and filth.More importantly, it stops you getting mugged off for a one off clean.

Ubik and virosol are both made by clover but ubik definitely is a lot better

Well I guess I must have been one of the lucky ones, I don't charge any extra for 1st cleans as I just can't bring myself to charge more :hey: it just doesn't sit right with me to charge double for a first clean and as a consumer I certainly wouldn't like it. I know some first cleans take a bit longer but I made the decision to take the hit, or in my mind not make quite as much profit on the first clean and then reap the rewards when doing cleans in the future. I started out by myself in Jan and now have a round consisting of just shy of 240 regular customers and gaining more on a weekly basis and to date haven't lost any after the first clean /emoticons/smile.png I've found that the ones who's windows could possibly warrant charging extra ie green frames, really dirty glass ect are the ones who live in the less affluent areas, so to charge them extra would more than likely cost me the business. Maybe I'm missing a trick but to be honest I'd rather not make as much on first clean and win ongoing business and make a good wedge.

Hi to agree 100% with you Greener. Put your self in the customers shoes. Can I have a quote for my windows please yes no problem I will have to charge you double because they are dirty. But it will be Halve next month when they are clean.LOl

Everyone has their own price structure, but I can tell you that I have very rarely ran in to a custy that has begrudged paying double when their windows are filthy. If someone hasnt had their windows cleaned for 2 years then they have saved hundreds of pounds over that time, More time to clean= more money. So why should you 'take a hit'?

Especially now I'm wfp tolish

Takes forever on a minging first clean compared to maintenance clean

Still feels weird..said I'd never do it last year didn't i?
I could have done with it today mate on the huge greenhouse I did. I don't think I'm going to do connys or greenhouses any more unless I go wfp.

Latest Posts

Back