Water Tank Security/Safety

Discussion in 'Tutorials & DIY' started by vito61, Oct 25, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. vito61

vito61 Well-Known Member

Hi All

Tank Security. Important topic.

I have a Merc Vito. It's got 'D' rings in the floor as standard. I've made up a frame using 26mm Key Clamp tubing (it's like mini scaffold tubing, galvanised). The tank sits in this and in theory it shouldn't slide about. I've also got a 1 tonne strap over the top of the tank using the tubing to secure it down.
    I purify the water in my shed using ro and di and then transfer it from the tank (650 ltr) there to my van tank (350). This means I don't need other filters in the van. I just have a pump box, 100 mtr hose reel and poles for wfp cleaning. With the tank empty I can remove it all (leaving frame in place) in about 5 mins.

What have you done to make sure your water tank is secured in your vehicle? Have you bolted through the floor? Used straps? Wedged it in somehow? It can be expensive and inconvenient but essential.

Hope to see some good posts

Advertisement
  2. washerman

washerman Guest

Hi I dont know if this is going to be of any help to anyone but i did it the cheapest way i could,
    my tank is a flat 350 that just lays flat on the van floor resting against the very short bulkhead , I then got 2 hi tensile steel bolts and two steel plates for each side, i then drilled the van , drilled the two plates, (the plates are about 8inches by 6.) and made a sandwitch with the van floor (hope that makes sence) did the same on the other side got a 2 ton strap and tightend it up and thats it you couldnt move it if you wanted to..

the whole lot cost me about £30 quid and about 10 mins to fit it

3. vito61

vito61 Well-Known Member

Thanks washerman

Good to see an idea put forward. I hope to see a lot more. From the level of response so far it seems almost a taboo subject.

4. Masons

Masons Guru

I have no idea about fitting. I really do not lol.

5. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

I removed the load securing points (the metal 'loops') on my transit connect and got a local fabrication company to make up a frame out of 3" angle to fit round the bottom of my 500 litre tank, with brackets lining up with the front and centre points, then bought some appropriate bolts (19mm if memory serves) to secure the frame in place, and i use a 5 ton ratchet strap to secure the tank to the frame. It cost me about £100 to get the frame made up, money well spent i think!. Unfortunately there are others out there who dont have the same view on their own safety as i discovered to my horror about a year ago, while browsing the vans for sale on ebay. There was a daihatsu hijet for sale, it caught my eye as it was advertised as being fully set up for window cleaning. Upon looking at the pics, i could hardly believe my eyes, it had two drum shaped tanks (i seem to recall them being about 220 litres each, which in itself wasnt far off the max payload of a hijet) strapped to the back of each front seat. The drums were quite narrow in relation to their height so the tops of the drums were about level with the top of the seats!. Now as anybody who has been up close to a hijet will know, the seats are pretty flimsy. I emailed the seller and asked how much of a priority safety was to him, and pointed out that an emergency stop, never mind an accident, would very likely send both tanks, + the seats, + whoever was unlucky enough to be sitting in them out through the front of the van!. Needless to say, the reply i got back was pretty negative!.

6. Belfastcleaning

Belfastcleaning Grand Master

Vauxhall combo, put 350 lt in, have 7 inches either side of sides of van, pushed up again bulk head and ratchet strapped to bulk head.. I have d rings, and the tank is just 3'' short of the wheel arches.. I used a 3x3 post in front of tank nice fit between wheel arches, 2 bolts threw d rings and posts.. Also but 3x3 post along one side which strapping along top screwed down, then screwed there bulk head to secure it.. I just have to do something now on other side, where the tap is.. Was prob going to use a smaller bit of 3x3 somehow..

Hope u can make sense of this, I'm building up pics to show u all lol

7. simon

simon Guru

citroen berlingo first with a 350 tank held down by two 5 ton ratchet straps to the d rings, i was told 1ton straps are no where strong enough but was also told straps are only as good as your d rings

8. whostolemyhair

Well I thought I'd throw a potential spanner in the discussion but also mention something that you may think worth looking into.
    I got my van with a 450l tank already fitted. When I was arranging the insurance I mentioned the modification of a water tank in it. They wanted to know if it was in a frame and bolted through the chassis. Fortunately it is. It might be worth checking with your insurance company whether they are happy with straps etc rather than the standard safety requirement (for my insurance company anyway) of frame bolted through chassis. If you had an accident and hadn't checked your insurers requirements beforehand it may be you find you aren't covered. A few hundred kilos of water going forward with the force from 30-70 mph to a sudden stop is a hell of a force against straps.
    Thought it worth mentioning.

9. simon

simon Guru

your right & my insurance knows the size & way i've secured my tank. but i also heard if your tank is bolted down then its a modification & costs more

10. All Round Cleaning

All Round Cleaning Grand Master

i think that the rated load of a ratchet strap is only half of the actual tested load so for example if
    a strap is rated to 1 metric tonne it has actually been tested to destruction to x2 of the rated load
    im just trying to find some info to back this up as im a bit rusty on this sort of stuff .

But for example if you are using a 1 tonne strap on a 350 litre tank this would be suffice as 1 litre of water
    weighs 1 kilogramme so in my opinion there should be no problem at all .

Advertisement