Web help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by Paul, Feb 18, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Paul

Paul Guest

Ok so I'm wanting a website, however I don't want to be on page 70,000,000 of google not many window cleaners in my area have them so it would be a bonus, I've heard about links and backlinks do these help also what the hell are they? And what sort of websites do I try and link too, I want to build my own as I just can afford to pay somebody as I'm just about to start up any ideas where I can do this ?

Are there any other ways of boosting your page on google apart from google places, the company I worked for are number 1 on google in my area and didn't know why so he's obviously not put much work into it.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. laddergarder

My website shows up no.1 for a search for my business name, I have submitted my website to google and Msn, as well as putting in a site map and robots.txt file. I also have page descriptions and keyword within the meta tags. The page description is what shows up under the page ***le on search engines. By I haven't bothered posting my website everywhere or anything like that. Make sure your code is correct through, errors can have an effect on how robots will read your site.

I don't know if its a myth or not, but I have read, that having words like reliable, affordable etc has a negative effect on your ranking.

I would however recommend that you also submit your details including website to online directories.

google recommendations...

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35769

3. Paul

Paul Guest

What do you mean by reliable and affordable is this anywhere on your site or just as a keyword, sorry to sound stupid but I really havnt much of a clue about all this stuff :-/ most of what you said about robots and things has lost me. Lol
    Do you think it's a ba idea trying it myself if I have so little knowlege on the subject?

Thanks for your reply

4. laddergarder

As long as you take you time and do a little research as you go you will be fine. The hardest thing is the design.

Sorry I should have been alittle clearer there, I ment using generic phases and buzz words like that in you keywords within your meta tags, you can write what ever you want on your site.

For example...

[size=small]

Page ***le

[/size]

Your site map is an xml document with shows robots and spiders the page structure of you website, and you robots.txt file is a txt file which shows the locations of your site maps as well as some directories and file which you do not want search bots to crawl.

For instance you might want your home page, services page, and contact page showing up but don't really want your policies pages showing up on search engines, so you can disallow that in your robots.txt file which you put on your server.

5. Paul

Paul Guest

Ok :-/ thanks for your help I think a lot of research is in order thanks for trying lol

6. nearlyclean

Supplier

Good clean HTML and what Google refers to as useful content back links are useful only if they link to sites that compliment what you do such as a cleaning supply site or blog with advice on cleaning but a link to a Chinese take away would damage you rating in this context (seo)
    I re wrote my site recently but have'nt done any seo work on it yet, wouldn't recommend a site maker that using flash to build content as Google find it hard to read.

7. James

James Guru

I'm currently doing a web design course and learning quite abit about it. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll try and reply as best as I can.

P.S. is HTML 5 taking over from adobe flash guys?

James.

8. laddergarder

Looks like it, Youtube is changing over to HTML5, the problem is flash is a plugin that has to be downloaded, may not work on all systems, plus its quite a heavy demanding program, ahead of it time alittle, and some slow bandwidth just cant handled full flash sites and take ages to load.

With HTML5 the functionality is built into the browser so there is no cross compatibility issues, plus it is faster.

Take a look at this site, its completely HTML, absolutely awesome, show the real potential of the language. Done with nothing but HTML5, and JavaScript by the looks of it.

click the screen and drag the mouse to the left...

http://disneydigitalbooks.go.com/tron/

9. Paul

Paul Guest

:-/ is this a foreign language

10. nearlyclean

Supplier

You have to check whether a browser supports like mp4 or the other video formats and curve isn't supported by some browsers either or you have to add moz for firefox, but HTML 5 is certainly moving things along :)

Advertisement