Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Website Building

Not done one but done a free webinar,person showing how to do wordpress, but there are two versions seemingly.

I see there is an advert on the forum for £150 to build it n £27 a month to look after it? 

To me this is a minefield, i just want something, but dont understand it all n find it annoying. I'm not a big player,so dont want something that needs input all the time.

I

Depends what you want your website for to be honest. I believe I have a very nicely designed website that I made on wix and pay £8 a month I think.

I come up in the google searches, pretty much at the top. Can take payments via my website and also get as few calls a month from it. Don't really understand what people are paying so much for. 

I've built countless websites over the years. I've used Wix a couple of times over other Content Management Systems just to try it out, and to be honest I've never been impressed. It's a very limited system that locks you into the platform, which is fine for some until you need custom functionality developed. Want an online booking system for customers? If you're with Wordpress it's just a matter of developing a plugin (or even just paying a few quid for an existing one). If you're with Wix then you'll need to build the whole website again from scratch on a different platform. 

Running costs are much lower on Wordpress too. For a local window cleaner site you can get away with shared hosting, which is less than a fiver a month. Your only other expense is the domain name (£10 a year max).

The only downside of Wordpress is that it's not the most user-friendly for the website owner out of the box. You log into the Admin dashboard and there are loads of options and sub-menus that can be intimidating if you're not used to working with systems like this. A good developer can help with this though by creating a separate login for you, which only displays the menus you need to know about (add page, edit page, add post, edit post etc.) Everything becomes a lot more intuitive this way, and it's good a security practice. 

Any questions, please feel free to ask away!

Go to any webhost and ask them to install wordpress for you.

I use 123-reg.co.uk which costs less than £150 for the hosting and domain name.

Wordpress is brilliant if you don't want to fork out for a webdesigner.

My website

Last edited by a moderator:
Building a website and a decent one for me was like rocket science so I paid to have one built years ago, our admin @Gav is your man for website building 

Go to any webhost and ask them to install wordpress for you.

I use 123-reg.co.uk which costs less than £150 for the hosting and domain name.

Wordpress is brilliant if you don't want to fork out for a webdesigner.

My website
Had a wee nosey at website, all good that would be good for me.

Is 123-reg the web host?

I need to find out what a web host is first?

Building a website and a decent one for me was like rocket science so I paid to have one built years ago, our admin @Gav is your man for website building 
Yep had been scared to ask? if your watching this thread @gav, let me know what the game is, I know it's probably you get what u pay for, but if u want to contact me that would be good?

Yes 123-reg is the host.

There are others like godaddy e.t.c

They basically hold the files on there server for your website. Just give them a call if your not sure.
Thanks

In short yes if you have a little technical knowledge anyone can get a WordPress site up and running. It's not rocket science but what most miss is the importance of properly managing a site. 

How many update their phone when a new one comes through or update Windows and apple software etc most do because they know it keeps it secure, running well and brings in the latest features and technology. 

It's the same with WordPress sites. You can throw up a WordPress site and leave it as is but it really isn't advisable. It should be regularly backed up, updated and managed properly. 

You can as said DIY without to much trouble but there is a difference in that and offloading that time and effort in muddling through to someone who can do it for you and we'll. 

I trained as a mechanic years back not that I do it much now. So yes I can service my car easily enough but do I? Half the time no because I don't have time for it or the level driveway! Just depends on what you want I guess. 

In short yes if you have a little technical knowledge anyone can get a WordPress site up and running. It's not rocket science but what most miss is the importance of properly managing a site. 

How many update their phone when a new one comes through or update Windows and apple software etc most do because they know it keeps it secure, running well and brings in the latest features and technology. 

It's the same with WordPress sites. You can throw up a WordPress site and leave it as is but it really isn't advisable. It should be regularly backed up, updated and managed properly. 

You can as said DIY without to much trouble but there is a difference in that and offloading that time and effort in muddling through to someone who can do it for you and we'll. 

I trained as a mechanic years back not that I do it much now. So yes I can service my car easily enough but do I? Half the time no because I don't have time for it or the level driveway! Just depends on what you want I guess. 
Can you PM me regarding all the costs please Gav,thanks.

If you do it as a slow burn project over a few weeks or months even, then, at the end of the process at least you understand what you did and why and so can change /update it without the hassle/cost of getting/paying someone else to do it for you.

If tech is your thing or your comfortable with it - doing it yourself gives/keeps your knowledge up-to-date - else it will always be a 'black art' but in realty is fairly straight forward/easy -  then you can tinker/update/refresh whenever you want to and you're in control of your site rather than risk your techie dropping you to do something else or uping the charges etc.

I am a bit of control freak to be fair - but if you don't have a website and never will realistically, then getting a teenager (or Gav) to build it has gotta be a no brainer - I get at least 4-5 enquires every week of the year for zero effort ?

If you do it as a slow burn project over a few weeks or months even, then, at the end of the process at least you understand what you did and why and so can change /update it without the hassle/cost of getting/paying someone else to do it for you.

If tech is your thing or your comfortable with it - doing it yourself gives/keeps your knowledge up-to-date - else it will always be a 'black art' but in realty is fairly straight forward/easy -  then you can tinker/update/refresh whenever you want to and you're in control of your site rather than risk your techie dropping you to do something else or uping the charges etc.

I am a bit of control freak to be fair - but if you don't have a website and never will realistically, then getting a teenager (or Gav) to build it has gotta be a no brainer - I get at least 4-5 enquires every week of the year for zero effort ?
I manage and update and make any changes I want to my own site which for me is easy it's all the other stuff that goes over my head but all the hard work was done for me so text changes that i want to make myself are easy but I couldn't or wouldn't attempt anything I was unsure about I'd sooner pay someone.

I kind of fell out with computers when at college, just get fed up working on them.

I used to enjoy making up movies with pictures n editing, but then got fed up with that as couldn't work updates of software.

Just want a website to make business more credible.

A good website - clear and concise - will give you a steady stream on new custys - welcome to the 21 century ? Windowsurfer - 'let your light shine before mankind, that they may see your right works and give glory' 

Latest Posts

Back