Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Downspouts Do You Check?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I`d charge just as much to unblock one, as I would to clear a length of gutter, still got to get the ladders off to do it.

So how would you know if it was blocked or not say if you where using a guttervac or other clearing methods from the ground?

Always check, otherwise whats the point in clearing the gutter run, that's why IMO Guttervacs are a waste of time and money, they only do jhalf a job, downspouts are usually needing a clean out as well

When i do gutters, always check the downspouts as well. Usually clean out the gutters then do a flow test on the downspout, see if water flows down & if so, how much. Got a little listening device for hearing the water run down the pipe if it disappears underground.

If in doubt, get up the ladder & check.

I usually stick a ubend on the end of my telescopic wand and flush the downspouts until the water is running freely out the bottom end.

I use a small stone chipping to check myself when hand jobbing :Image3:

If I don't hear it go through the swan neck and down the downpipe then good chance it is blocked like this one.

View attachment 2482

It's the quickest way to check if they are blocked or not when doing hand jobs so I always carry a few stone chippings in my pocket/tool belt.

After clearing the gutter run and swan neck I usually run the garden hose down it make sure the downpipes are clear, if they aint I attach my drain clearing nozzle to my pressure washer and clear, takes seconds with 4000psi lol , if water still aint flowing away I tell customer ther underground drains are blocked and I can blast em for an extra £75 :Image3: ching ching

Latest Posts

Back